How will the format look with CPL teams?

2 hours ago, Rintaran said:

How do you decide which PDL team to leave out? There are 4 and all have confirmed they are continuing play next year.

I thought Calgary and Winniper won,t continue, that's why

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There's actually 5 PDL teams aren't there?

Easy enough to get some of the PDL, L1O and PLSQ teams to play in a preliminary round. Think they could keep it mainly regional for the first round to keep travel costs under control.

[[Pacific FC vs-1 Victoria Highlanders

vs-2

Whitecaps vs-1 TSS]

vs-3

[Cavalry vs-1 Foothills

vs-2

Valour vs-1 WSA/Thunder Bay]]

vs-4

[[Forge vs-1 L1O/PLSQ

vs-2

TFC vs York]

vs-3

[Ottawa vs-1 Impact

vs-2

FCE vs-1 Halifax]]

yeah a premilinary round with semi-pro club or a regional round. a lot of scenarios!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There's actually 5 PDL teams aren't there?

Easy enough to get some of the PDL, L1O and PLSQ teams to play in a preliminary round. Think they could keep it mainly regional for the first round to keep travel costs under control.

You're correct. I could claim a typo or lack of coffee, I'm not really sure how I miscounted.

PDL teams are used to play-in rounds. It's a part of how they determine who gets into the playoffs here, so that may go over alright. That being said, why bother calling it a play-in? Just call it the first round and be done with it.

17 hours ago, mtlsab said:

I thought Calgary and Winniper won,t continue, that's why

The Calgary Foothills moved to Okotoks this past year to ensure they could continue. I'd expect them to roll out with another high-calibre PDL club again next year.

Despite WSA Winnipeg's 0-14-0 record this past season, I have confirmed with the owner that they will be continuing. The team serves as the top of their academy and focuses 100% on development. This results in a pretty variable squad as different players are given minutes to further develop skills.

Victoria Highlanders have also confirmed their continued play. An announcement is expected from them shortly concerning changes to their development pathway. Currently the Highlanders field a team in PDL, reserves in PCSL, and have a Futures program.

Neither Thunder Bay Chill nor TSS Rovers FC have had substantial changes in their area, and I've confirmed with Thunder Bay that they will continue.

Much like Winnipeg, TSS' PDL club is the top of their academy, so there's no worry of them (or their women's side in the WPSL) disappearing in the near-future. If anything, I suspect TSS may put a reserve team into PCSL to complete their academy's pathway. There are 2 new confirmed clubs in the PCSL for next season, we're just waiting on the official announcements to see who they might be.

3 hours ago, Rintaran said:

You're correct. I could claim a typo or lack of coffee, I'm not really sure how I miscounted.

PDL teams are used to play-in rounds. It's a part of how they determine who gets into the playoffs here, so that may go over alright. That being said, why bother calling it a play-in? Just call it the first round and be done with it.

The Calgary Foothills moved to Okotoks this past year to ensure they could continue. I'd expect them to roll out with another high-calibre PDL club again next year.

Despite WSA Winnipeg's 0-14-0 record this past season, I have confirmed with the owner that they will be continuing. The team serves as the top of their academy and focuses 100% on development. This results in a pretty variable squad as different players are given minutes to further develop skills.

Victoria Highlanders have also confirmed their continued play. An announcement is expected from them shortly concerning changes to their development pathway. Currently the Highlanders field a team in PDL, reserves in PCSL, and have a Futures program.

Neither Thunder Bay Chill nor TSS Rovers FC have had substantial changes in their area, and I've confirmed with Thunder Bay that they will continue.

Much like Winnipeg, TSS' PDL club is the top of their academy, so there's no worry of them (or their women's side in the WPSL) disappearing in the near-future. If anything, I suspect TSS may put a reserve team into PCSL to complete their academy's pathway. There are 2 new confirmed clubs in the PCSL for next season, we're just waiting on the official announcements to see who they might be.

Thanks for the update. So, no change for PDL teams unless CSA ban it?

I'm okay with the Voyageurs cup going through a couple iterations of formats over the next couple years as the CPL gets off the ground. 

If we can get it to 16 next year, perhaps splitting the bracket in half for east and west (for travel costs) of single knockouts.

EDIT: not related but I also think the minimum Canadian starters should be increased to 5. 

3 hours ago, Yoginess said:

EDIT: not related but I also think the minimum Canadian starters should be increased to 5. 

When they introduced the 3 Canadian starters rule I thought that was probably going to be the rule in CPL. It's good for the CSA for the CPL to do as good as possible, and their teams obviously need to be built with the 6 on the field at all times rule, and MLS teams aren't built with a rule like that in mind. So the closer the Voyageurs Cup rules are to the CPL rules, the more it pulls MLS teams down to increase the chances of CPL teams upsetting them.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:47 PM, Kent said:

When they introduced the 3 Canadian starters rule I thought that was probably going to be the rule in CPL. It's good for the CSA for the CPL to do as good as possible, and their teams obviously need to be built with the 6 on the field at all times rule, and MLS teams aren't built with a rule like that in mind. So the closer the Voyageurs Cup rules are to the CPL rules, the more it pulls MLS teams down to increase the chances of CPL teams upsetting them.

While the chance of an upset may increase, as MLS teams would not be allowed to play as many of their highly paid imports, I also think the likelihood of MLS teams hoarding Canadian talent for these games would increase as well.

The goal of the CSA should be for Canadians to get as much playing time as possible in all settings. If the 3 MLS teams keep more Canadians on their roster simply to meet some V's Cup requirement for 2-3 games a season, wouldn't it be better if those depth players were in the CPL playing 20-30 games a year?

7 hours ago, masster said:

While the chance of an upset may increase, as MLS teams would not be allowed to play as many of their highly paid imports, I also think the likelihood of MLS teams hoarding Canadian talent for these games would increase as well.

The goal of the CSA should be for Canadians to get as much playing time as possible in all settings. If the 3 MLS teams keep more Canadians on their roster simply to meet some V's Cup requirement for 2-3 games a season, wouldn't it be better if those depth players were in the CPL playing 20-30 games a year?

I doubt MLS teams would take a significant number of players for a couple Voyageurs Cup games, and even if they did, long term players might smarten up if CPL proves to be a better pathway to a solid career. If CPL isn’t a better pathway to a solid career, it would be good for MLS teams to sign these extra players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As much as it's great to have three MLS teams participate in our national cup, I think that given we now have a national league we should expect our Champions League berth to be given to the CPL winner.  The argument as to whether we should have two berths may have merit over time, but for now we should expect to send a Canadian club from a Canadian league. 

Is anyone aware of any potential changes on this issue?

Archived