Position Group: Centre Backs

David C.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, nolando said:

Sad to say but I strongly suspect Edgar is done and the likes of Jakovic can't be far behind.

Afraid this is true. Edgar couldn't make the Whitecaps coming off a serious knee injury and then couldn't make a USL team. Think it's over for him unless he does a stint as a player-coach in CPL. 

9 hours ago, shorty said:

On the younger/fringier side: Didic, Sadiki, Thomas, Roberts, Romeo, Roubos... sure there's more. Does Farmer still play in Alberta? I know we're getting way down the list here, but if we want a thread to discuss the position depth, we might as well go deep. 

Yes. I watched him this weekend with Calgary Foothills who beat a very average Sounders U-23 side.

He was playing RB. He did well, no major turnovers, defended well, didn't really get forward.

That being said, he didn't stand out at all, which is not a bad thing as a defender, but I was also a little surprised that he didn't stand out in a good way, if you know what I mean. He seemed to communicate well with the rest of the backline, was composed, so what more can you ask for really. It was a comfortable performance for the whole team, if not unspectacular.

The actual player who stood out to me was the number nine on Foothills. Tanto I think his name was? He was the only one on the field who looked above and beyond that level (including Sergio Camargo), which wasn't as high as I thought it would be, but perhaps it was just the game on the day - it was actually the first PDL match i've seen.

The quality looked perhaps a slight fraction higher than the CUSA premier division here in Calgary, and I was snooping around on the website the other day and it looked like Farmer is listed with a guest appearance for the Foothills premier team (along some other PDL guys). I can't say for sure if he actually played premier or was just listed on their roster, but either way I don't think he is a guy who should be in this discussion now with all due respect.

It is nice that PDL is here in Calgary to keep him, Carducci and others active. A few of these guys I think will jump to Cavalry FC, but I think we need to see what they can do at a higher level than PDL before we can seriously discuss their CanMNT chances.

43 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Afraid this is true. Edgar couldn't make the Whitecaps coming off a serious knee injury and then couldn't make a USL team. Think it's over for him unless he does a stint as a player-coach in CPL. 

Or just a player.

Herdman will go with youth. He needs young players who will buy into his concepts and not challenge him, and to lay the foundation for 2026.  Henry and James have Concacaf experience and will be the vets back there.

Really looking forward to seeing the Nations League lineups this fall.

56 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Herdman will go with youth. He needs young players who will buy into his concepts and not challenge him, and to lay the foundation for 2026.  Henry and James have Concacaf experience and will be the vets back there.

Really looking forward to seeing the Nations League lineups this fall.

Which he should do because youth on the pitch is beneficial because if you think about it you want to have a young team who are fast on the ball and who are obviously not slow which is what you would have with a much older team. However, I think Canada will have that influx of talent that are a mix of youth and experience because you are gonna need that heading into qualifying for 2022.

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Which he should do because youth on the pitch is beneficial because if you think about it you want to have a young team who are fast on the ball and who are obviously not slow which is what you would have with a much older team. However, I think Canada will have that influx of talent that are a mix of youth and experience because you are gonna need that heading into qualifying for 2022.

If you agree with a post, just use the LIKE function.  Please stop posting extremely obvious observations like young teams are faster than old teams.  Before you post, please take a second to consider: is this new? does this add to the conversation? 

I'm glad youre here.  Take part.  But dont flood the forum with obvious, repetitive posts.

7 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

If you agree with a post, just use the LIKE function.  Please stop posting extremely obvious observations like young teams are faster than old teams.  Before you post, please take a second to consider: is this new? does this add to the conversation? 

I'm glad youre here.  Take part.  But dont flood the forum with obvious, repetitive posts.

Good luck with that.  Clearly this person is a troll or is just a complete asshole who is ignoring the 1000 points of constructive criticism he has received since joining.

Despite being injured for like 3 straight years I'd say Henry is our best CB and he's still young. 

If we had to play an important game tomorrow, Vitoria or Jakovic are probably the best options to partner Henry but they're getting older and I really hope we don't still  need them going forward. 

James isn't bad imo and I could see him starting for the next few years if no other options come up. 

I haven't watched much of our younger CBs tbh but Dunn and Cornelius are probably our two most promising ones. Dunn didn't look good in his MLS start but he's 17 and was partnered with Hernandez and basically had tfc2 in front of him which was asking for trouble. Cornelius played decent minutes in first tier Serbia as a 20 year old which is great. 

In terms of dual nationals, the guys I hope we can get are Hagglund, Ferreira, and Tomori. Hagglund is an average MLSer at best but would be great for depth considering how little we have. Ferreira I'm not too hopeful for because Portugal has some guys retiring soon but considering he's injury prone that could hurt his chances of playing for them again and could help us? For Tomori I don't see him making England any time soon but Nigeria could steal him from us. It would be nice to get at least one or two of them though. 

34 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Good luck with that.  Clearly this person is a troll or is just a complete asshole who is ignoring the 1000 points of constructive criticism he has received since joining.

There are other less vilifying reasons why someone could act that way, you know?

This person might just have some level of autism, it's very common nowadays. Why dont you people just use the ignore fucntion instead of policing tg11 everytime they post.

Personally, what I find the more annoying than tg11's posts, is the usual series of posters who jump on everything that tg11 says.

7 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

There's other less vilifying reasons why someone could act that way you know?

This person might just have some level of autism, it's very common nowadays. Why dont you people just use the ignore fucntion instead of policing tg11 everytime they post.

Personally, what I find the more annoying than tg11's posts, is the usual series of posters who jump on everything that tg11 says.

Mate that’s a bit rude just because how he talks. Maybe English isn’t his first language maybe he didn’t do great in a school. Don’t go around calling people autistic, because how they talk is annoying to you. 

8 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Despite being injured for like 3 straight years I'd say Henry is our best CB and he's still young. 

If we had to play an important game tomorrow, Vitoria or Jakovic are probably the best options to partner Henry but they're getting older and I really hope we don't still  need them going forward. 

James isn't bad imo and I could see him starting for the next few years if no other options come up. 

I haven't watched much of our younger CBs tbh but Dunn and Cornelius are probably our two most promising ones. Dunn didn't look good in his MLS start but he's 17 and was partnered with Hernandez and basically had tfc2 in front of him which was asking for trouble. Cornelius played decent minutes in first tier Serbia as a 20 year old which is great. 

In terms of dual nationals, the guys I hope we can get are Hagglund, Ferreira, and Tomori. Hagglund is an average MLSer at best but would be great for depth considering how little we have. Ferreira I'm not too hopeful for because Portugal has some guys retiring soon but considering he's injury prone that could hurt his chances of playing for them again and could help us? For Tomori I don't see him making England any time soon but Nigeria could steal him from us. It would be nice to get at least one or two of them though. 

I would definitely go with Cornelius and Henry as a pairing then in that regard. Dunn-Johnson is a dual national well Jamaica could still cap him at senior level because for Canada anyway well he hasn't even been capped at senior level but then again the CSA haven't done their due diligence on that, have they?

Now as far as Tomori realistically he could play for either England and or Nigeria and realistically why would he play for Canada? I'm being a realist because let's face it Canada doesn't exactly scream soccer superpower unlike those 2 nations. Yeah he probably wouldn't make England you're right but then again if they take an interest in him of course naturally he would choose them in a nanosecond over Canada. Now as far as Nigeria goes he very well could choose them too if they take an interest in him first. Now if he didn't make either nation's squad then he would obviously play for Canada but are we really his first option? It furthermore all comes down to which Federation takes an interest in him but also it comes down ultimately to Tomori himself because it is his choice at the end of the day.

29 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

There are other less vilifying reasons why someone could act that way, you know?

Thanks for your input but I'm just going to stick with telling him to fuck off...he's a troll and it's obvious

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

As an aside, Tomori has joined Chelsea for their preseason international cup, or whatever that cheesy competiton is called.

14 hours ago, nolando said:

Sad to say but I strongly suspect Edgar is done and the likes of Jakovic can't be far behind.

Yeah, it's pretty clear age and that ridiculous golf cart injury have really hurt Edgar. Didn't even get a contract offer from VWFC and cut from a USL club.

2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Yeah, it's pretty clear age and that ridiculous golf cart injury have really hurt Edgar. Didn't even get a contract offer from VWFC and cut from a USL club.

I don't think he was cut, his contract was mutually cancelled so he could try to land something over the summer in England.  At least that was the official statement.  Hopefully he has something left in the tank.  

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

I don't think he was cut, his contract was mutually cancelled so he could try to land something over the summer in England.  At least that was the official statement.  Hopefully he has something left in the tank.  

Even if it was mutual, training camp have already started in England so I guess he must not be in high demand. His MNT career is not over of course but right now guys like James, Jakovic, Vittoria, Cornelius and Meilleur Giguère would be ahead of him at the moment because they are playing at a decent level and/or display enough potential. It all changes if he found a decent club and starts playing of course. 

Pretty sure Herdman would have had laid out the future path to Julian Dunn while over at Toulon. He’ll probably get a senior cap by the time Gold Cup 2019 rolls around if not before. At his age and with the current CB depth chart for MNT I don’t see how Jamaica could possibly be more appealing moving forward towards 2022 and 2026. For sure Canada has been burned many times over but all accounts indicate Dunn has a good head on his shoulders and is quite proud to rep the Maple Leaf. And probably starting in MLS in the next 2 years I would think if his progression continues

very much in contrast to Sadiki who it sounds like may be abandoning ship for Albania (I think that his other eligibility) where the senior team he already come calling. Not sure if just rumour at this point or if anyone can confirm that?

1 minute ago, soccer.shocker said:

Pretty sure Herdman would have had laid out the future path to Julian Dunn while over at Toulon. He’ll probably get a senior cap by the time Gold Cup 2019 rolls around if not before. At his age and with the current CB depth chart for MNT I don’t see how Jamaica could possibly be more appealing moving forward towards 2022 and 2026. For sure Canada has been burned many times over but all accounts indicate Dunn has a good head on his shoulders and is quite proud to rep the Maple Leaf. And probably starting in MLS in the next 2 years I would think if his progression continues

very much in contrast to Sadiki who it sounds like may be abandoning ship for Albania (I think that his other eligibility) where the senior team he already come calling. Not sure if just rumour at this point or if anyone can confirm that?

Just like Ouimette, Farmer etc. 2 years he’ll be 20 so unless he’s an absolute stud that’s tough to imagine.

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Just like Ouimette, Farmer etc. 2 years he’ll be 20 so unless he’s an absolute stud that’s tough to imagine.

Fair. But I think he’s in a better environment to foster proper development than either Ouimette, Farmer et al. Never really impressed by Farmer tbh. 

24 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Pretty sure Sadiki is Croat eligible, possibly Bosnia also but not sure. I'd be shocked if either nations' senior team was giving him a call.

25 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Pretty sure Sadiki is Croat eligible, possibly Bosnia also but not sure. I'd be shocked if either nations' senior team was giving him a call.

Canada,  Sweden ,  Germany ,  Bosnia and if  Kosovo  gets its own team. 

Where did the rumour about Sadiki come from?  First off, he was just with our u21 team last month.. secondly this board doesn’t miss a beat and we haven’t heard anything and lastly how the hell would a team like Albania or Bosnia come calling before us for a player who hasn’t played a pro game?  If that’s the rumour it’s probably coming from an agent.. which would be smart.

23 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

What are you basing that on? Equally likely he never intended to spend more than half a seasons with them.

But yes, needs to step back up a level if ever he wants to get back into the CMNT conversation.

Archived