Forge FC (Hamilton) launch/2019 offseason thread

RS

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Ah. I've never heard/seen that as an acronym before. Haven't lived in Waterloo Region for 14 years though.

Tbh it's not used much, I heard it from my girlfriends former swim club which was called ROW Swim Club 

Mike Newell from The Forge in Hamilton (posing with me) and some Can Prem league office staff helping out had a booth at Allstate Soccer Show at The Hangar in Downsview earlier today.   York 9 FC who have a stadium just 6 km up the street weren't present at all.

Forge were here to attract some western edge GTA fans from say Mississauga.    

Can Prem staff were making excuses as to why  York 9 were absent  ie maybe a player acquisition but I still say this was a missed opportunity.  

Geez they had Montreal Impact players at the first session of autograph signings (I'd assume so they could catch their plane back to Montreal with their teammates).  

They must have had a few thousands pass through the doors.  I cut out to see the TFC III vs North Mississauga League 1 Ontario game the other side of the parking lot at the BMO Training Centre so I could post a game report later in the week under (you know that forgotten forum under "Canadian Teams and Leagues").  De Ro's son played again while he was marooned here at an autograph session. 

I returned maybe three hours later and they had turned over for a whole new crowd.  ie the 500+ prenoon crowd had flipped over to a 900+ different crowd, and may have flipped one more time because the Women's National team were just going to take the stage and later do an autograph session when I cut out again so I could drive to see Woodbridge play Sigma FC.  

The crowd were mostly soccer playing kids and their parents (the target demographic of York 9).    

And I should also add The Voyageurs had a booth the next one over so it couldn't have been that expensive if there was any charge.  

Aug26327.jpg

Edited by Rocket Robin

Mike is a really personable guy who is doing great work for Hamilton.  It’s funny he probably has more influence into his club as a rep than Brennan does for York9 as coach/owner!  You don’t need to be a “name” you just need to be passionate and I’d bet that Mike probably has brought in close to York9’s total numbers on his own.

Either Mike and James have been to every community event in the entire west GTA over the past few months.  

In my part of Hamilton there’s a high amount of awareness of the league that I don’t think is as present in other markets.  

They’re both so positive and visible.  If other CanPL teams are looking for a model of community engagement they should look at what Forge is doing. 

I could see Forge displacing TFC as the primary soccer team west of Mississauga in the next few years.   There’s a big market in Niagara, Hamilton, Halton and Brantford. 

The Ti-Cat organization knows how to make a regional brand and these guys are doing it.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Either Mike and James have been to every community event in the entire west GTA over the past few months.  

In my part of Hamilton there’s a high amount of awareness of the league that I don’t think is as present in other markets.  

They’re both so positive and visible.  If other CanPL teams are looking for a model of community engagement they should look at what Forge is doing. 

I could see Forge displacing TFC as the primary soccer team west of Mississauga in the next few years.   There’s a big market in Niagara, Hamilton, Halton and Brantford. 

The Ti-Cat organization knows how to make a regional brand and these guys are doing it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them displace TFC in Oakville, Burlington, Guelph and the tri-cities too. Personally, I wont be spending another dime on TFC, as id like to support the CPL and buy tickets and merch from Forge FC. Just sucks theres no transit from KWC to Hamilton, it means an hour GO bus ride to square one then another 45 minutes to Hamilton, when Hamilton is only a 30 minute drive from Cambridge?.  

12 minutes ago, KW519 said:

If Tiebert ends up in CPL it would be a good spot for him to land  being from the Falls, also a potential landing spot for Borjan when his career is winding down?

If Teibert ever comes to CPL then yes that would geographically make sense for him as a location being close to Niagara.

For Borjan, he grew up in Hamilton and that’s where his family still lives until today 

Although I cannot see him going anytime before 35

Still has lots to give Until 2022  

Just finished the Forge FC questionnaire I was invited to complete (via an email). I should have written down the questions to relate to you, but some of the 31 or so questions I remember are:

- days of week (and afternoon or evening on weekends) and start times I'd prefer games to be held in Spring, Summer and Fall (indicated separately)

- amount I was looking to pay for tickets (various amounts to select from, from about $15 up to over $40)

- what are the three biggest obstacles for Forge FC (choose from a list that included onfield quality, ticket prices, awareness of CPL/Forge, etc)

- how many season tickets I would be buying

- various demographic questions

- any children's involvement with various local soccer clubs (Dundas United, Mt Hamilton, etc)

- what game day activities do you want to see

- name best sports atmosphere you've attended

And many more but it was almost 10 minutes since I took the survey and have already forgotten most.

On 8/27/2018 at 9:39 PM, KW519 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them displace TFC in Oakville, Burlington, Guelph and the tri-cities too. Personally, I wont be spending another dime on TFC, as id like to support the CPL and buy tickets and merch from Forge FC. Just sucks theres no transit from KWC to Hamilton, it means an hour GO bus ride to square one then another 45 minutes to Hamilton, when Hamilton is only a 30 minute drive from Cambridge?.  

You “won’t be spending another dime on TFC “ oh God it must have been a horrific experience for you spending some of your dimes these past few years on TFC, I’m glad it’s over now your spending of dimes on TFC or else who knows what may of become of you.

36 minutes ago, 1996 said:

You “won’t be spending another dime on TFC “ oh God it must have been a horrific experience for you spending some of your dimes these past few years on TFC, I’m glad it’s over now your spending of dimes on TFC or else who knows what may of become of you.

No I won't. Problem? Say so, don't hit me with your childish @$$ sarcastic, condecending tone. "Horrific experience"? What you reaching for?

8 hours ago, KW519 said:

No I won't. Problem? Say so, don't hit me with your childish @$$ sarcastic, condecending tone. "Horrific experience"? What you reaching for?

It’s just the constant shitting on the Canadian MLS teams sometimes on these boards gets to me, yes these organizations are not perfect but have spent a lot of money and have shown the Canadian public that pro soccer can work in Canada in terms of the attendances that these three Canadian teams get. Moreover, I think the success of the three Canadian teams has inspired these new owners of the new CPL to spend their hard earned money and create the CPL, moreover without the TFC’s of the world there would be no Paul Bernies of the world guys that can use their experience gained in working in successful off the field environments and now work towards making the CPL teams successful off the field as well .

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

It’s just the constant shitting on the Canadian MLS teams sometimes on these boards gets to me, yes these organizations are not perfect but have spent a lot of money and have shown the Canadian public that pro soccer can work in Canada in terms of the attendances that these three Canadian teams get. Moreover, I think the success of the three Canadian teams has inspired these new owners of the new CPL to spend their hard earned money and create the CPL, moreover without the TFC’s of the world there would be no Paul Bernies of the world guys that can use their experience gained in working in successful off the field environments and now work towards making the CPL teams successful off the field as well .

I'm not shitting on TFC or MLS Canada in any way. Long before CPL was confirmed I was already growing frustrated with how Americanized TFC was, and now i've reached a point where I don't agree with how my hard earned pennies are being invested into the club. This isn't just a " Ohh look, the Hammer got a pro club now, F*** TFC." These issues have been bothering me for a while now, and CPL has just provided me with a new opportunity to embrace the Canadian movement and get behind a local club. I think people from Kitchener can identify much more with the Hammer too, both looked at as outsiders from Toronto high horses, both are rough cities to grow up in, and both are extremely hard working industry cities.

I'm forever grateful for what the Impact, WC, and the TFC have done for football in Canada, and you're right, there's probably no CPL without their success. But at the same time, there's no MLS Canada without our continued financial support, and when I don't agree with how the club is spending money that I work hard for I have every right to up and leave.

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

I'm not shitting on TFC or MLS Canada in any way. Long before CPL was confirmed I was already growing frustrated with how Americanized TFC was, and now i've reached a point where I don't agree with how my hard earned pennies are being invested into the club. This isn't just a " Ohh look, the Hammer got a pro club now, F*** TFC." These issues have been bothering me for a while now, and CPL has just provided me with a new opportunity to embrace the Canadian movement and get behind a local club. I think people from Kitchener can identify much more with the Hammer too, both looked at as outsiders from Toronto high horses, both are rough cities to grow up in, and both are extremely hard working industry cities.

I'm forever grateful for what the Impact, WC, and the TFC have done for football in Canada, and you're right, there's probably no CPL without their success. But at the same time, there's no MLS Canada without our continued financial support, and when I don't agree with how the club is spending money that I work hard for I have every right to up and leave.

I’m from Toronto and guess what believe or not there are also hard working people in Toronto too , but TFC to be competitive need to put the best possible lineup on the field Canadian or not just like the Raptors,Leafs and Jays do regardless of nationality, however, TFC are spending an incredible amount of money on their academy to try and develop Canadian players that hopefully we will see the fruits of this academy in years to come , moreover I’m sure you will see many players from all three MLS Canadian academies playing in the CPL in the future .  I know you probably expected TFC to field more Canadians in their lineup, however , they have to put the best lineup out their they think can win games regardless of nationality, if your good you will play like Osorio has earned it not because he was Canadian but because when given the opportunity he has come through so therefore he continues playing. Just like the Raptors ,Jays and leafs you play if your good and can produce not because your Canadian . Yes I realize the NBA,NHL are the best leagues in the world but so what ? TFC also has TFC2 populated by mainly Canadian players , you think it’s not costly running that team made up of so many Canadian players. Therefore, when one says you don’t like the way TFC does things regarding Canadian players just think for a moment the money this organization has spent so far on things that do benefit Canadian players, the only thing I regret is that while I was playing youth soccer here in Canada there was nothing nada for us, no MLS,no TFC, no MLS academies, no USL teams nothing nada , oh how I wish I was playing youth soccer now, these players have no excuses now it’s up to these players to start getting serious about the game and rise up and hopefully we can start producing more stars than we have ever produced.

@1996 As I said, I'm grateful for everything those clubs have done for football in Canada. I watch every TFC II game(excited to see them against Ottawa tonight), i'm well aware of how many Canadians play in the team, and what TFC has put into their youth program. However, that has nothing to do with how the 1st team and other operations are run. 

Does anyone know if Forge supporters are meeting up for the Canada-Dominica match?  Would be a great opportunity to get supporters together and get the name out there.  The CSA should be giving free tickets to the CPL clubs and filtering them to cofounders.  Would be a good opportunity to promote the domestic league and inflate crowd numbers.

• RS locked this topic