Qatar 2022

Guest Tg11

I know it is early to make a thread but damn it I am doing it anyway. I mean I know the tournament is 4 years away but apparently there have been a lot of developments as far as the tournament itself as a whole goes. Reading so much articles online and hearing so many different things it appears FIFA President Gianni Infantino has confirmed that they are not gonna move the 2022 FIFA World Cup away from Qatar. President Infantino even said as much that the 2022 FIFA World Cup will go ahead as scheduled which means kick off will be on November 21, 2022 to December 18th, 2022.

It remains unclear how the World Cup will fit the schedule of domestic leagues, most of which play through November and December.

Most people are not happy about this especially England legend Gary Lineker who even said as much that the World Cup has always been a summer spectacle rather than an interruption of the football season and that it is a damn shame that we all have to wait 8 years for it to go back to being a summer World Cup in 2026.

"FIFA’s 2022 World Cup in Qatar will take place between November 21st and December 18th. The World Cup has always been a welcomed spectacle during a long football free summer, rather than an interruption of the football season. Darn shame we have to wait 8 years."

(Direct quote from English football great Gary Lineker)

• 1 month later...

What nations as an early prediction do you all believe will make the World Cup? From Each confederation I’d say

Europe 13 teams

Germany, Portugal, Spain, France, England, Belgium, Poland, Croatia, Switzerland, Ukraine, Denmark, Netherlands, Iceland

Contenders who could also get in Iceland, Ireland, and Serbia.

CONCACAF 4 teams

Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, and Canada I believe Costa Rica will finish 4th but will beat the 5th place CONEMBOL team Panama, Honduras, and Jamaica will be contenders to also advance

AFC 5 teams with Host

Qatar, Australia, Japan, South Korea, and Iran

Africa 5 Teams

Nigeria, Morocco, Ghana, Egypt, and Senegal

CONEMBOL 4 Teams

Brazil, Columbia, Uruguay, and Argentiana

Oceania 1 Team

New Zealand

what do you guys think I think that’s 32 teams with the correct allocations

Any word on the 2023 Asian Cup?  If it is played starting in January again (as is happening with the 2019 tournament in the UAE, and the previous three tournaments), then it will immediately follow the World Cup.  I'll be interested to see whether they move it to summer, and how that will affect the ongoing bidding process.  Namely, will a nation with hot summers be shunned so that they can hold the tournament in June/July?

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed this in the wikipedia page for the 2022 World Cup.

"Qatar, as hosts, qualified automatically for the tournament. However, Qatar is obliged by the AFC to participate in the Asian qualifying stage as the first two rounds also act as qualification for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup. If they reach the final stage, their choice on whether to continue with World Cup qualifying is subject to FIFA approval. If the hosts choose not to compete, the next-ranked team will advance instead."

Of course it's natural for the hosts to not have to qualify, but I haven't heard of a host team having to go through qualification despite having qualified, and I think it would be hilarious if they actually failed (i.e. not qualify for the 2023 Asian Cup).

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

The March window will be here fast.

Right now only Concacaf, Europe and a handful of Asian matches will be taking place. 

I noticed today while watching Serie A that TLN will be showing Italy and Portugal games. Here's their current schedule. 

Screenshot_20210314-162704_Chrome.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, reggietfc said:

futbol coverage in Canada is getting worse on basic tv,time to cut the cord for me,anyone know what is a good streaming service for futbol and sports in general

Just to add to the stupidity TSN has the rights to this summer Euros and Qatar 2022.

Showing matches now would be a great way to advertise both.

Anyways Italy v N. Ireland is on TLN today

Edited by narduch

• 2 months later...

WCQ started again this week. Of the 211 FIFA nations, 189 started and 13 have been eliminated or quit.

Ex Concacaf, here are the notable matches for June. For the neutral, there aren't any notable Asia matches since many minnows still in play but listed are matches of interest. All times EDT. 

Brasil, Argentina, Ecuador, Paraguay & Uruguay are the top 5 in the standings.

Asian & South American match rights haven't been bought in Canada. Should have been an easy pickup for DAZN as they have been sitting on their hands for 2 years. In the US, there is a sports streaming war going on. So, at least South American matches are on fubotv. 

Africa

Round 2 matches haven't been scheduled yet.

Oceania

No matches have been scheduled yet.

Europe

Next matches are in September.

Thursday June 3 

India v Qatar 1300

Australia v Kuwait 1430

Uruguay v Paraguay 1800

Argentina v Chile 2000

Brasil v Ecuador 2030

Tuesday June 8

Colombia v Argentina 1900

Paraguay v Brasil 2030

Tuesday June 15

Iran v Iraq 1230

16 hours ago, red card said:

WCQ started again this week. Of the 211 FIFA nations, 189 started and 13 have been eliminated or quit.

Ex Concacaf, here are the notable matches for June. For the neutral, there aren't any notable Asia matches since many minnows still in play but listed are matches of interest. All times EDT. 

Asian & South American match rights haven't been bought in Canada. Should have been an easy pickup for DAZN as they have been sitting on their hands for 2 years. In the US, there is a sports streaming war going on. So, at least South American matches are on fubotv. 

Africa

Oceania

Europe

Thursday June 3 

India v Qatar 1300

Australia v Kuwait 1430

Uruguay v Paraguay 1800

Argentina v Chile 2000

Brasil v Ecuador 2030

Tuesday June 8

Paraguay v Brasil 2030

Tuesday June 15

Iran v Iraq 1230

Definitely trying to watch qualifiers not just CONCACAF but also AFC and CONEMBOL

17 hours ago, red card said:

Africa

Oceania

Europe

Thursday June 3 

India v Qatar 1300

Australia v Kuwait 1430

Uruguay v Paraguay 1800

Argentina v Chile 2000

Brasil v Ecuador 2030

Tuesday June 8

Paraguay v Brasil 2030

Tuesday June 15

Iran v Iraq 1230

I'm pretty sure BeIn has the South American qualifiers.

Interesting note about the US streaming wars. They also have access to most Concacaf qualifiers too. And I believe the Asian ones were also recently picked up.

Edited by narduch

7 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm pretty sure BeIn has the South American qualifiers.

Interesting note about the US streaming wars. They also have access to most Concacaf qualifiers too. And I believe the Asian ones were also recently picked up.

No more on BEIN. Conembol or whoever they outsourced to manage the international tv rights went the pay-per-view route in last fall's window in North America. Nobody picked it up in Canada.

Since it appears the pay-per-view way probably resulted in a loss, we're back to streaming. Apparently, fubotv is going to be testing their in-event betting software for the qualifiers. And again nobody picked up the rights in Canada. Still on BEIN in a bunch of other countries.

Paramount+ picked up AFC Champions League - was on DAZN Canada last year from about the quarters onward.

Paramount+ has selected Concacaf qualifiers. I'm assuming they're limited by broadcast capabilities. None of today's matches are on Paramount+.

Edited by red card

• 2 weeks later...

Some very exciting finishes coming in AFC qualifying.  Vietnam vs UAE, Saudi Arabia vs Uzbekistan, and Iraq vs Iran all on the final day with the group on the line.  For each group those teams are top two, with the winner advancing.  Should be great!

32 minutes ago, RJB said:

Some very exciting finishes coming in AFC qualifying.  Vietnam vs UAE, Saudi Arabia vs Uzbekistan, and Iraq vs Iran all on the final day with the group on the line.  For each group those teams are top two, with the winner advancing.  Should be great!

Plucky Uzbeks always seem to be in the mix, sort of an AFC version of Panama.

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Calling for UAE to beat Vietnam, hoping Uzbekistan beat Saudi Arabia and hoping Iraq beats Iran

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 6:30 AM, narduch said:

They did the draw for the next round in AFC.

The top 2 in each group go straight to the World Cup. 

3rd place teams battle for the Continental playoff spot.

For Group A my top 2 would be Korea Republic and Iran

For Group B my top 2 being Japan and Australia 

3rd place in Group A my prediction being Iraq

3rd place in Group B my prediction being a surprise team I see it being Vietnam 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...