Jump to content
Sébastien

General - CONCACAF Nations League

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Always Canada relying on other results, nothing changes.  El Salvador got lucky on that goal, but the football gods would rather El Salvador be in the Hex than us.  TBH, If El Salvador ever get a quality striker they should be 3rd best in CONCACAF.  They missed so many chances in the 1st half.  And the way they protect the ball and make good passes, which Canada would incorporate more of that style in our game.

Wow....Just when I thought I've seen everything....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CanadaSantos said:

El Salvador are seriously trash. They looked awful in every match they've played in this group, and yet their gonna end up in the hex because Concacaf doing Concacaf things. No way in hell will they get a point in the hex.

I would like to see CSA doing some CONCACAF things from now on to get as many cheap(or expensive) easy points by playing a lot minnows as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

El Salvador didnt get their FIFA points by magic.  They played friendlies and won games, including beating us in 2017, OZ's last match.

They played 3 friendlies in 2018, and 4 friendlies this year.

We played 1 friendly in 2018, and zero this year. 

We did it to ourselves, we did.  And that's what really hurts, it's that we did it to ourselves.  Just us.  Just us and no one else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I still don't think it's over. This El Salvador team is to trash not to drop points v. DR or in friendlies. 

If El Salvador beat the D.R. then it likely is; El Salvador can simply not play friendlies! ;)

We are unlikely to catch them. :(

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

El Salvador didnt get their FIFA points by magic.  They played friendlies and won games, including beating us in 2017, OZ's last match.

They played 3 friendlies in 2018, and 4 friendlies this year.

We played 1 friendly in 2018, and zero this year. 

We did it to ourselves, we did.  And that's what really hurts, it's that we did it to ourselves.  Just us.  Just us and no one else.

Although true, that ****** up thing though is concacaf changing the format for getting into the hex so late. Should be like how it was before with groups, not rankings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really starting to think Montserrat was going to hang on. We were minutes away from being no worse off having lost 8 points on Friday, as El Salvador would have lost 9 points themselves. Instead, now they're up 9 points on us, 1340 to 1331.

It's not much consolation since El Salvador ultimately won, but that was some pretty tough sledding for El Salvador for 4 ranking points.

Edited by jtpc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If El Salvador beat the D.R. then it likely is; El Salvador can simply not play friendlies! ;)

We are unlikely to catch them.

If we play the US in their Jan camp and also split the bill with the Americans on a second opponent, wins would give us the 3-4 points needed to make 4 wins over midrange (40-60 in FIFA Rankings) competition in friendlies cover the 15 point gap with a point or two to spare. That would at least force them to play. 

 

Playing the US again is risky, but why not at this point?

Edited by harrycoyster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

If we play the US in their Jan camp and also split the bill with the Americans on a second opponent, wins would give us the 3-4 points needed to make 4 wins over midrange (40-60 in FIFA Rankings) competition in friendlies cover the 15 point gap with a point or two to spare. That would at least force them to play. 

 

Playing the US again is risky, but why not at this point?

That many points on a x5 multiplier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If El Salvador doesnt drop points against DR, and Cuba does not pull off a miracle, its over.  It is just over and we have to accept it.  In March and June, we should just focus on friendlies that are meaningful prep for the future.  I would expect we will only play 1 per window as usual. 

I will reiterate that if Concacaf gets drawn against South America, then it's all over for this cycle completely.  Even Bolivia would destroy us in a 2 legged tie.  Chile? Colombia? Peru?  Forget it.  This whole cycle may just be prep for 2026.  Shameful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That many points on a x5 multiplier?

Well only the games outside international windows would be x5. In window games are x10. 

Working with our ranking going into the US game (1339) and the pre-intl window rankings of the other teams. We would gain:

3 points for beating the US in Jan.

2 points for beating a team like Panama in Jan.

6 points for beating a team around 50 in the FIFA Rankings in a FIFA window.

5 points for beating a team around 60 in the FIFA Rankings in a FIFA Window. 

Disclaimer that there may be something I'm not getting here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gator said:

It was over last night folks!

Too hard a pill to swallow......but that's the reallity.

This qualifier format is the most ridiculous one i have ever seen in 40 years! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me assume:

El Salvador defeated by DR on Tuesday and lose 19 points. They would be 10 points behind us.

How many points (maximum in theory)  can they get from the later Gold Cup qualifier matches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

If El Salvador doesnt drop points against DR, and Cuba does not pull off a miracle, its over.  It is just over and we have to accept it.  In March and June, we should just focus on friendlies that are meaningful prep for the future.  I would expect we will only play 1 per window as usual. 

I will reiterate that if Concacaf gets drawn against South America, then it's all over for this cycle completely.  Even Bolivia would destroy us in a 2 legged tie.  Chile? Colombia? Peru?  Forget it.  This whole cycle may just be prep for 2026.  Shameful.

While it would be difficult to beat a South America side in a two way match, it’s not impossible.  Playing them in Edmonton in March would not be something any of them would want. And by then, we likely would have gone through a few rounds of playing Latin American sides in hostile conditions which we would have learned from. That being said, we clearly would not be favourites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RS said:

giphy.gif

"El Salvador are one world class striker, one quality #10, two quality CBs, one excellent destroyer, and a quality keeper away from challenging anyone in CONCACAF outside of U.S. and Mexico".  I ran this through Google translate, and it returned the following:

"El Salvador has two good players"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...