General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

1 hour ago, JuicyHam said:

I don't have a problem with it. Russia does it. It would be great if the CPL was quality enough that we could one day do the same. I guess this is a debate for a different time though. 

Ukraine is using the Brazilian connection from Shaktar to their benefit in recent years, having naturalized at least 2 or 3 Brazilians in recent years.

Edited by Corazon

23 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Ukraine is using the Brazilian connection from Shaktar to their benefit in recent years, having naturalized at least 2 or 3 Brazilians in recent years.

2. Both are pretty peripheral and are certainly not key pieces. David's Gent teammate Yaremchuk is the first choice striker now. Ukraine is on a bit of a run and are sneaky good - they haven't lost in a year. 

8 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

2. Both are pretty peripheral and are certainly not key pieces. David's Gent teammate Yaremchuk is the first choice striker now. Ukraine is on a bit of a run and are sneaky good - they haven't lost in a year. 

Both those players are into their 30s as well I believe.  The Brazilian dream finally ended for them.

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Beware China.. they're starting to nationalize Brazilians. Let the farce begin

I doubt they will nationalise many.  It’s very controversial there. Nationality is based on ethnicity in China.  There is something like only 1000 people in all of China who have been able to get a passport who are not Chinese (other than of course their own minorities that were born there)

2 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I doubt they will nationalise many.  It’s very controversial there. Nationality is based on ethnicity in China.  There is something like only 1000 people in all of China who have been able to get a passport who are not Chinese (other than of course their own minorities that were born there)

If you win a Nobel prize in one of the hard science fields you are allowed to move to China and get Chinese citizenship.  Not many people take them up on the offer.  They also offered Elon Musk citizenship.

25 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Welp. Games that mean everything to us:

Saurday November 16

10pm ET
El Salvador - Montserratt

Tuesday November 19

5:30

El Salvador - Dominican Republic

7:30

Cuba - USA

Not even thinking about a Cuban result.

ideal for us would be Montserrat beating El Salvador (draw would also help) and then El Salvador beating DR and winning the group on goal differential which would negate the possibility of more games at high multipliers for them 

Yeah, I view the Cuba game as a foregone conclusion.  No point investing any amount of personal energy hoping for a result. 

Maybe ES drops the ball.  It is possible - even if unlikely. 

More likely though is that we get comfortable with the idea of the long, challenging plan B route to qualification.  On the bright side, it will bring lots of games. The down side is that any stumble could spell the end of the process, and consistency hasn’t exactly been out strong suit...

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I view the Cuba game as a foregone conclusion.  No point investing any amount of personal energy hoping for a result. 

Maybe ES drops the ball.  It is possible - even if unlikely. 

More likely though is that we get comfortable with the idea of the long, challenging plan B route to qualification.  On the bright side, it will bring lots of games. The down side is that any stumble could spell the end of the process, and consistency hasn’t exactly been out strong suit...

Agree with the post. What do you mean by “end of the process” though? 

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

ideal for us would be Montserrat beating El Salvador (draw would also help) and then El Salvador beating DR and winning the group on goal differential which would negate the possibility of more games at high multipliers for them 

I would have to do the math again but I thought that losses and/or draws needed to facilitate El Salvador not winning the group would likely hurt them more than the Gold Cup Qualifiers games will help them.  It is about net -14/15 points in about any damage limitation scenario I can think of that sees them lose first place ie. a win and loss (with "help") or two draws.  Two losses is -38 points.

They would behind us either way, then face a League C winner in twice March, so not a massive amount of points there (a decent friendly can yield you similar) and then face a League A loser which could at best( for them) be Costa Rica but more likely Panama or Curacao or Haiti but none of those are guaranteed wins but would yield them in 10-12 point range for a win I would guess (and they could get Martinique which would yield them nothing)

All this to say, I think I would rather them get those 4 games in March and June, with them starting behind us than being well behind them and having to out-friendly them in March and June. 

Either way we need 4 very smart friendlies. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Is the marathon process on the way to that potential playoff against the 4th hex sees a series of home and away legs? Does anyone know the exact format ?

Answered here. I guess we’ll be playing a lot of games against minnows for a while. Jonathan david will probably be our all time leading scorer by the time he’s 21.

The remaining CONCACAF teams (ranked 7 to 35 based on the FIFA rankings of June 2020) will be divided into eight groups (five groups of four teams and three groups of three teams) to play home-and-away round-robin matches. The winners of each group will advance to a knockout stage, consisting of the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final to be played in a two-legged home-and-away series. The winner of the knockout stage will advance to the CONCACAF play-off round.

11 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Answered here. I guess we’ll be playing a lot of games against minnows for a while. Jonathan david will probably be our all time leading scorer by the time he’s 21.

The remaining CONCACAF teams (ranked 7 to 35 based on the FIFA rankings of June 2020) will be divided into eight groups (five groups of four teams and three groups of three teams) to play home-and-away round-robin matches. The winners of each group will advance to a knockout stage, consisting of the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final to be played in a two-legged home-and-away series. The winner of the knockout stage will advance to the CONCACAF play-off round.

I mean, on the bright side, lots of CMNT games. 

...right? 

11 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Good, so they drop a lot of points. So, El Salvador result will be worth even less to El Salvador. 

Tgp Thumbs Up GIF by The Good Place

Except that it would make their match against ES meaningless to them (because first place would be out of reach) whereas ES would know that they are still in hex contention.  I would far rather DR be in the position that a win would give them the group. 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Except that it would make their match against ES meaningless to them (because first place would be out of reach) whereas ES would know that they are still in hex contention.  I would far rather DR be in the position that a win would give them the group. 

They would still be in a fight with Montserrat for 2nd place and the Gold Cup qualifying route.