General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

13 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Obviously I hope we go all out for the Hex but I really won't be bothered if we don't make it.  I think we'll run through the rest of CONCACAF and then give us Jamaica or Honduras in a 2 leg tie.  What more can you ask for?  I don't think we could realistically finish 3rd in the Hex.

I see your point but I give us barely any chance vs a South American team in a home and home and on paper it's our turn to play South America. vs the Asian group (which include Australia, the Asian would be the favorite- Australia got by Honduras quite easily last cycle). Only Oceania I feel gives us a chance. With so many unknowns , I think going after the hex should be the goal.

11 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I see your point but I give us barely any chance vs a South American team in a home and home and on paper it's our turn to play South America. vs the Asian group (which include Australia, the Asian would be the favorite- Australia got by Honduras quite easily last cycle). Only Oceania I feel gives us a chance. With so many unknowns , I think going after the hex should be the goal.

When is the draw for this ?

31 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I actually thought the Auzzies struggled more with Honduras than I expected them to.

I guess it was semi-comforable for them, but Honduras lost Elis at some point during the series, if I recall correctly. Maybe it was Elis and Quioto, I can't recall, but I remember something happened during that series which left Honduras short-handed somehow and that's when Australia looked comfortable.

Edited by Obinna

35 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Keep in mind a 4th place Hex finish leads down the same path...and it will arguably be harder to even get to the intercontinental because the team from the lower route will have more experience with two-legged ties at that point.

Edited by Obinna

If we are drawn against South America, then the 7-35 route is certainly a harder route than the hex. Whether we can advance in either route, I don't know. We will have to wait and see. But even if we were drawn against Oceania I'd still rather be in the hex just so we have everything available to us. We might not qualify, we might go the wildcard route, or we might finish top 3. That 7-35 route just feels cut out from the process. I want a spot at the table, not waiting for scraps to fall on the ground.

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

If we are drawn against South America, then the 7-35 route is certainly a harder route than the hex. Whether we can advance in either route, I don't know. We will have to wait and see. But even if we were drawn against Oceania I'd still rather be in the hex just so we have everything available to us. We might not qualify, we might go the wildcard route, or we might finish top 3. That 7-35 route just feels cut out from the process. I want a spot at the table, not waiting for scraps to fall on the ground.

The good news is that this means we just go flat out all the time.  No quirky math for a gamed result.  Just go for the best result possible, each and every time. 

DR up 1-0 over #6 El Salvador. 10 mins in.

Rain coming down HARD now, 25 mins in. DR had a 2nd called back, offside. 

Halftime still 1-0, gonna be sweaty.

No idea Barcelona & Real Madrid set up academies a few yrs back in DR. Kind of explains why the U23DR team beat Cuba twice this summer.

Edited by apbsmith
Updates

Big results in the Curacao and El Salvador games for us. Up 1 goal at half in our game. If we hold serve this will be a very productive day for us.

I think Curacao loses less than a point for their draw with Haiti, but that's a lot better than if they could have gotten a winner. I'm not sure if we would be ahead of Curacao if we win tonight.