Sébastien

General - CONCACAF Nations League

11 minutes ago, king1010 said:

That is a failure of leadership at the CSA, especially given the head of the Confederation is your countries past president. Someone should've been in daily contact with Montagliani. The decision to move from Concacaf to FIFA rankings didn't happen overnight. 

The decision in itself is stupid given the Concacaf rankings actually account for games played against non fifa opponents. If you're going to allow non fifa teams to participate in continental championships, then you need to rank your teams accordingly, with a metric which accounts for games played against those non fifa teams. 

So if a team is drawn against 2 non fifa opponents in their group then plays a QF against another non Fifa opponent they lose out on points in all 3 games.  

The decision to move from CONCACAF to FIFA rankings happened because FIFA said that there is only one ranking that matters for WCQ. The one thing I wonder is how naïve CONCACAF is when we've seen UEFA forced to use FIFA rankings (when we all know that they never use that for their Euro qualifiers) 

4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

The decision to move from CONCACAF to FIFA rankings happened because FIFA said that there is only one ranking that matters for WCQ. The one thing I wonder is how naïve CONCACAF is when we've seen UEFA forced to use FIFA rankings (when we all know that they never use that for their Euro qualifiers) 

Exactly. Vic kept saying on the record that Nations League would seed WCQ.  He clearly didn't know the FIFA rules at the time. That is shameful for a FIFA VP

Posted (edited)

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Price tag just went up significantly!

If you leave Sunday or Monday and return Wednesday or Thursday, there are flights for $360 to $405 return (after tax) from YYZ.

I assume hotels are expensive there (haven't checked - not going).

C'mon guys, we need at least 1 V to be there! ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If you leave Sunday or Monday and return Wednesday or Thursday, there are flights for $360 to $405 return (after tax) from YYZ.

I assume hotels are expensive there (haven't checked - not going).

I would consider doing it if I hadn’t lost patience and booked a flight to Nova Scotia for a holiday  instead.  Believe most of the places there are resorts for the upper middle class and wealthier.

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2019 at 1:57 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I looked at applying for a legal job there at one point (when single).... 

Maybe I could convince my wife I'm job searching for that 150+ USD tax free salary.

Although now that I have 3 kids and when you factor in 25k+ USD per kid for private schools, housing, garbage disposal, water, etc etc etc it only makes sense for the beach life...

but I mean I could tell my wife paragraph #1 pre trip and post trip inform her of paragraph #2 😎.

Edited by apbsmith

Posted (edited)

I wonder if we will see a few young and solid Cuban players play only the Cayman Islands match. 

When I researched Caymans in the past, they are very stringent on refugees and all immigrants(including work visas). They detain and deport tons of Jamaicans and Cubans annually (this was a few years ago, so perhaps it has changed).

Logistically nor financially Caymans is not the easiest country to defect from as a Cuban national.  Perhaps that had something to do with picking that country for their home game?

Does make me think it could be a possibility because I'm sure there are other close and cheaper countries with working field lights.

Edited by apbsmith