General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

5 hours ago, lamptern said:

Too hard a pill to swallow......but that's the reallity.

This qualifier format is the most ridiculous one i have ever seen in 40 years! 

We are fucked. 

We can't even go back to the previous format because it would already had to have started. 

This stupid format is locked in now.  

Edited by narduch

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Nothing. El Salvador is qualified to the next Gold Cup. After this it's only friendlies for them too.

Yes DR losing to St Lucia confirmed that.

El Salvador will be about 15 points ahead if they beat DR.  (The very tarnished silver lining is that DR will be playing for something, they will need at least a point if they want to get to the Gold Cup playoffs, more if Montserrat score a lot vs. St Lucia)  

A friendly in the window gets you exactly 5 points for an equal ranked opponent.  So if we get smart friendlies and win all 4 of those, they can't just sit and ignore it. (Teams like North Macedonia, UAE, Saudi Arabia) 

100 point ish gap (Costa Rica, Jamaica - they have nothing to lose really -) 6 points.

200 point ish gap (The States again - but why would they -, Poland, someone like Iran is a little less) - 6.8 points.

If they were to keep playing the rank of teams they have been playing (Dominican Republic) and beat them, they can probably pick up another 8-10 points (2-2.5 each) and put it out of reach. 

All of this assumes nobody does anything outside the windows.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

If El Salvador doesnt drop points against DR, and Cuba does not pull off a miracle, its over.  It is just over and we have to accept it.  In March and June, we should just focus on friendlies that are meaningful prep for the future.  I would expect we will only play 1 per window as usual. 

Exactly, if ES do beat DR, then we should send all of our top players in March to Mexico to help us qualify for the 2020 Olympics. This would be a pretty big opportunity for our boys as well. 

Except where OZ chocked hard in the 2017 friendly, where we lost 1-0 to El Salvador... El Salvador have looked dreadful since, from Gold Cup play to barely beating minnows.

I guarantee you US, CRC, Jamaica and Honduras are all cheering for ES over Canada to make the #6 hex spot. With El Salvador in the hex, it essentially becomes 5 teams for 3.5 spots or really 4 teams for 2.5 spots(Mexico pretty much guarenteed to qualify). 

Kind of a joke because I put El Salvador just inside the top 10 in CONCACAF. I don't see El Salvador having any chance  beating Haiti, Panama, Curacao or Canada in a home and away.

At this point we just have to go for it and play top teams in friendlies, the other thing I'm worried about is EL Salvador playing a friendly vs a top 5 hex team and El Salvador "getting a result" to ensure #6.

2 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Except where OZ chocked hard in the 2017 friendly, where we lost 1-0 to El Salvador... El Salvador have looked dreadful since, from Gold Cup play to barely beating minnows.

I guarantee you US, CRC, Jamaica and Honduras are all cheering for ES over Canada to make the #6 hex spot. With El Salvador in the hex, it essentially becomes 5 teams for 3.5 spots or really 4 teams for 2.5 spots(Mexico pretty much guarenteed to qualify). 

Kind of a joke because I put El Salvador just inside the top 10 in CONCACAF. I don't see El Salvador having any chance  beating Haiti, Panama, Curacao or Canada in a home and away.

At this point we just have to go for it and play top teams in friendlies, the other thing I'm worried about is EL Salvador playing a friendly vs a top 5 hex team and El Salvador "getting a result" to ensure #6.

Some very good points in there, I guess I need to learn to think more CONCACAF cynical. 

As i said when this Format was announced, the chance of us getting to the  Hex was extremely low. It depended on Canada getting two results against the US OR having SLV drop MORE than one result against their minnow opponents.  If you played this exact scenario out 100 times we probably don’t make the Hex 95 of them. Was just too big an obstacle to overcome.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Do people really think we will have friendlies?

If we don’t then we will know that our national men’s team is of the level of importance somewhere in the area of the Canadian Shuffleboard program or the Canuck Tiddlywinks team.  

At this point with 2026 coming up some money will need to be put into the program a la the “own the podium” as even polite and reserved Canadians don’t like to be embarrassed on home soil.  It will take years to reap the benefits of an improved CSA and they better start now if they want to end the 0 goals and no wins streak in the World Cup.

3 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

If we don’t then we will know that our national men’s team is of the level of importance somewhere in the area of the Canadian Shuffleboard program or the Canuck Tiddlywinks team.  

At this point with 2026 coming up some money will need to be put into the program a la the “own the podium” as even polite and reserved Canadians don’t like to be embarrassed on home soil.  It will take years to reap the benefits of an improved CSA and they better start now if they want to end the 0 goals and no wins streak in the World Cup.

That is the thing I wonder about as well.  At what point do we start to see that kind of investment?  Because I refuse to believe we would seek to co host the WC without the intent to adequately prepare for it. 

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

I need to hope.  

That said only a decade ago, I was working part time at a deli/wholesaler during university and one of my co-workers was a member of the Canada Soccer board and executive committee.  Amazing guy and did so much on his own dime, but shows how little we have spent ie. given importance to, in the past. 

19 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

How many international windows until HEX decision day? 2?

I say we publicly challenge them to home and away series. Smack them with a little white glove or whatever it takes

The CSA's strategy should be to pay a match promoter to sign El Salvador to a binding contract to play two friendlies in the March window against opponents TBD (To Be Determined). 

Then a few months later, announce to the El Salvador FA "Surprise!  You're playing Canada twice in Vancouver!"

surprise threaten GIF

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

How many international windows until HEX decision day? 2?

I say we publicly challenge them to home and away series. Smack them with a little white glove or whatever it takes

In the beginning of making this idiot format,  CONCACAF should have had a appendix that if there were teams within the range of being catching up by a single head to head game (ie: 5th 1388, 6th 1385, 7th 1379, 8th 1376) after June deadline , there should be a game in neutral place to decide who could enter the Hex. (ie: 5th vs 8th, 6th vs 7th). I would accept this as a fair play ground.

Edited by lamptern

5 minutes ago, lamptern said:

In the beginning of making this idiot format,  CONCACAF should have had a appendix that if there were teams within the range of being catching up by a single head to head game (ie: 5th 1388, 6th 1385, 7th 1379, 8th 1376) after June deadline , there should be a game in neutral place to decide who could enter the Hex. (ie: 5th vs 8th, 6th vs 7th). I would accept this as a fair play ground.

Or just make it an octagonal.  They're leaving some FIFA windows unused while limiting the hex to 6.  This is the stupidest part

1 hour ago, lamptern said:

I'm over complaining about the format. We lost to Haiti. We lost to the Americans. We deserve where we're at.

Even with what your proposing. So what about the 8th place team? That's not fare. I'm not really one for complaining. Complaing is an endless looser mentality. All we had to do was tie the US and we conceded a goal in 1 minute.  We need to suck it up and deal with reality

Edited by SpursFlu

12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

They do. The coach and the FA have said so.

Maybe it comes full circle and we play them as the 4th place team from the hex, while we’re the winners of the loser bowl. Of course wed have to beat the likes of Panama and Curacao. 

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Maybe it comes full circle and we play them as the 4th place team from the hex, while we’re the winners of the loser bowl. Of course wed have to beat the likes of Panama and Curacao. 

Which I am a firm believer that if we cannot even win the loser bowl then we don't really belong in the hex anyways.  

Although I still would rather us play in the hex for multiple reasons.