Theo Bair

Just now, VinceA said:

Bair is weird. It seems Vancouver want him as a winger despite his 6'5 size. Despite that he's not looked out of place.

For that exact same reason, I don't think he's a winger. He's just strong and quick so they throw him out there. Also Vancouver has way too many costly forwards that it seems like they are forced to play him out wide. 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he's played as a winger he's been great, when he's played a CF he's been ineffective. Just because he's big doesn't mean he has to play as a CF. He's got good foot work for his size and can get around defenders. Is able to make smart runs in to the box late and find space. Kinda like David

Edited by SpursFlu

16 hours ago, Shway said:

For that exact same reason, I don't think he's a winger. He's just strong and quick so they throw him out there. Also Vancouver has way too many costly forwards that it seems like they are forced to play him out wide. 

Based on his size and body shape, what position would you play Michail Antonio, the West Ham United player?

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Based on his size and body shape, what position would you play Michail Antonio, the West Ham United player?

Another good example that’s maybe closer to Bair is Arnautović. I think he plays more striker now but he was mostly a winger for the majority of his career wasn’t he?

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Great question....exactly what he plays, everywhere! He’s a utility man that will perform wherever he’s needed. He’s played RB, RM/RW, and Lone Striker. Based on this, I think his best position for West Ham has been up top because of his strength, hustle, aerial presences, and grit to find/source a goal. If he went to Tottenham, it maybe as winger. But that’s a different comparison....

@SpursFlu To say he’s been ineffective vs great at winger is an overstatement that I’ll disagree with. I think the results have been balanced from a stats POV. watching Theo, he has a knack for scoring or creating goals/opportunities whenever he’s in the 18. He scored countless goals in USSDA from being a striker. He shone at Toulon from the striker position. Now I’m not saying he can’t play outside, but I bet if you ask him what he thinks his best position is - he would say up top. His size, strength, speed, and goal scoring abilities is why I say he’s a striker.

Its the fact that the whitecaps have a washed Freddy Montero, supersub Ricketts and the tank and they just started playing with two strikers is why he was pushed outwide. I would definitely love to see him and Cav uptop push Reyna to LM/RM. But again it’s where the clubs money is invested, is who will play.

4 hours ago, archer21 said:

Another good example that’s maybe closer to Bair is Arnautović. I think he plays more striker now but he was mostly a winger for the majority of his career wasn’t he?

Again another player who’s primary position is a Striker but can play outwide. Actually majority of  strikers can play anywhere in a front 3.

I'm not saying Bair isn't an exciting prospect, he is. 

But I wonder how much his club affiliation is playing a role in this European interest.

You see what Davies has done, jumping from Vancouver to Bayern Munich. I can easily imagine the smaller clubs in Holland and Belgium scouting Vancouver to see if they can play this game too, albeit on a smaller level. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I'm not saying Bair isn't an exciting prospect, he is. 

But I wonder how much his club affiliation is playing a role in this European interest.

You see what Davies has done, jumping from Vancouver to Bayern Munich. I can easily imagine the smaller clubs in Holland and Belgium scouting Vancouver to see if they can play this game too, albeit on a smaller level. 

Definitely wouldn't mind if Bair left MLS especially to go to the Eredivisie or to the Belgian league. Preferably would want him to play in the Eredivisie.

50 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Definitely wouldn't mind if Bair left MLS especially to go to the Eredivisie or to the Belgian league. Preferably would want him to play in the Eredivisie.

I am kinda iffy on it.

Part of me feels like he has what it takes, so good to go over there early and take the chance while it's there. I have a gut feeling he can especially do well in Holland for some reason. I don't know why exactly, I can just see his talents getting nurtured there. 

The other part of me sees a clear path for him to continue his development in Vancouver. I think he'd get solid minutes this year and can improve on his goal tally. The league is growing and getting better with each year, so I don't think he loses anything by sticking around. 

I guess it depends on how strongly he wants to go to Europe. I personally think a player of his ability does not HAVE to go to Europe. He can achieve success here in Major League Soccer and grow into a National Team regular. 

This is different from Alphonso Davies, who absolutely HAD to get out of Major League Soccer. His ceiling was WAY too high to stick around here. That is not the case with Theo, with all due respect to him, know what I mean?

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Sounds like Montero isnt going to play in the tournie.  Bair should get chances to showcase his talent if the scouts are indeed watching him. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/07/07/vancouver-whitecaps-forward-fredy-montero-real-salt-lake-defender-nedum-onuoha-opt

Chances got even better for Bair. Ricketts and Cavallini both will not be travelling with the team  to Orlando as well

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yikes, top 3 strikers all gone from the tourney.

It's a bullshit tournament, so winning and losing won't matter much. Bair getting a clear run in the team as the man up front is great under the circumstances. If he performs, he can keep the spot.

14 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's a ******** tournament, so winning and losing won't matter much. Bair getting a clear run in the team as the man up front is great under the circumstances. If he performs, he can keep the spot.

Everybody wins in this scenario especially Bair

4 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Chances got even better for Bair. Ricketts and Cavallini both will not be travelling with the team  to Orlando as well

I was going to ask for a link, but I see the Montero link has been updated. I am starting to wonder if teams are even going to care about this tournament. Lots of high profile players not playing, Dallas unable to field a team, TFC going so late that they had to move back their first game. I'm sure I'll forget about all that once the games start, but it's a bit deflating... or at least it would be if COVID hadn't pre-deflated all of us.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

I was going to ask for a link, but I see the Montero link has been updated. I am starting to wonder if teams are even going to care about this tournament. Lots of high profile players not playing, Dallas unable to field a team, TFC going so late that they had to move back their first game. I'm sure I'll forget about all that once the games start, but it's a bit deflating... or at least it would be if COVID hadn't pre-deflated all of us.

There is a lot I don't like about this tournament, but the silver-lining will be minutes for a lot of young Canadians. I think I read somewhere that TFC are expected to "use their squad", so I expect minutes for Fraser, Shaffleburg, Nelsen and maybe even Okello, not to mention Laryea and Osorio who are core regulars. For the Impact, Tabla, ZBG, Waterman, Piette and Jackson-Hamel should all get minutes, with Chionaire and Bayhia hopefully playing a role too. From a Canadian perspective, it is disappointing we can't get Cavallini and Ricketts going, but family/health comes first. I do not fault them, but as mentioned there will be players like Bair who will get more chances because of it!

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Dont the group stage games count in any regular season??  They should care a little, but I tend to agree with you.  I'm sure some of the teams are just hoping to get the games played and get out before they have mini outbreaks on their hands.  

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

There is a lot I don't like about this tournament, but the silver-lining will be minutes for a lot of young Canadians. I think I read somewhere that TFC are expected to "use their squad", so I expect minutes for Fraser, Shaffleburg, Nelsen and maybe even Okello, not to mention Laryea and Osorio who are core regulars. For the Impact, Tabla, ZBG, Waterman, Piette and Jackson-Hamel should all get minutes, with Chionaire and Bayhia hopefully playing a role too. From a Canadian perspective, it is disappointing we can't get Cavallini and Ricketts going, but family/health comes first. I do not fault them, but as mentioned there will be players like Bair who will get more chances because of it!

I don't think there's much to learn about either of those players from this tournament. As long as those extra minutes flow on to some of the younger, Canadian players, this is a net gain for us. Hopefully, Bair and Fraser, in particular, make it impossible to ignore them after their performances there.

In Cavallini’s case this might be the end of his season considering how MLS won’t be coming back this season after the covid cup, not with the shitshow in the states continuing. I wonder how these guys are gonna get playtime in 2020?

Hopefully some more CPL loans but I doubt it. At least our top guys are getting playtime in Europe. 

24 minutes ago, Bdog said:

In Cavallini’s case this might be the end of his season considering how MLS won’t be coming back this season after the covid cup, not with the shitshow in the states continuing. I wonder how these guys are gonna get playtime in 2020?

Hopefully some more CPL loans but I doubt it. At least our top guys are getting playtime in Europe. 

If MLS doesn't come back, and I can't imagine it will, missing 3 matches in the heart of Covid country won't have set back Lucas any more than any of the other players in MLS.