Jamie Dunning (16 year old Canadian/American) signs with Feyenoord

Toje

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its kind of funny, just when we think NCAA is a dead end for development, you see more and more talented foreign players filling up NCAA rosters.  

Idunno. I think it's fair to say you can go pro via NCAA, but it's far from ideal. If you want a proper education while playing a sport you love at a reasonable level, sure why not? 

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

Idunno. I think it's fair to say you can go pro via NCAA, but it's far from ideal. If you want a proper education while playing a sport you love at a reasonable level, sure why not? 

The vast majority of US colleges are not giving you a proper education, at all. And even less so in the kind of programme most NCAA athletes decide to study. Only maybe 10-15% are harder than a European high school in many respects. If you are on a sports scholarship, even worse, it is simplified, marks are gifted, the degree of coasting is massive. Of course I am talking about undergraduate degrees. 

NCAA soccer is the way international upper middle classes deal with the passion their sons (less so daughters because of the amount of young women in the US playing) have for the game.

59 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The vast majority of US colleges are not giving you a proper education, at all. And even less so in the kind of programme most NCAA athletes decide to study.

Depends on the athlete.

I agree with you though that a lot of plays choose to play soccer there and study only nominally. In my opinion, going to a college is definitely not the way to go if you want to become a pro soccer player. But there can be legitimate reasons for going there, be they more of a social or educational kind.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The vast majority of US colleges are not giving you a proper education, at all. And even less so in the kind of programme most NCAA athletes decide to study. Only maybe 10-15% are harder than a European high school in many respects. If you are on a sports scholarship, even worse, it is simplified, marks are gifted, the degree of coasting is massive. Of course I am talking about undergraduate degrees. 

NCAA soccer is the way international upper middle classes deal with the passion their sons (less so daughters because of the amount of young women in the US playing) have for the game.

I get some of that but you are not raking in massive bucks as a university in Utah because of your soccer program.  Gifting marks/coasting are really a thing because you make a ton of money for your school and raise its profile.

Overall, people love to rag on American universities but they continue to be okay to excellent (save a small minority of interesting cases) and produce smart people, if the person wants.  Speaking as someone who did not go to an American school despite a few different opportunities but works around a lot of American undergrad-educated people. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

But there can be legitimate reasons for going there, be they more of a social or educational kind.

It is probably the statistically better way to land you a decent regular-paying job for the rest of your life. 

Not really our concern on this board but still...

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I get some of that but you are not raking in massive bucks as a university in Utah because of your soccer program.  Gifting marks/coasting are really a thing because you make a ton of money for your school and raise its profile.

Overall, people love to rag on American universities but they continue to be okay to excellent (save a small minority of interesting cases) and produce smart people, if the person wants.  Speaking as someone who did not go to an American school despite a few different opportunities but works around a lot of American undergrad-educated people. 

I agree with you here. I played for four years at a university in the NCAA, and I can guarantee you no one got any favours with grades because we played soccer. Football was actually pretty bad for it ( baseball, and basketball I only ever heard about it with one professor) but even then it wasn’t all professors helping them out. There was one particular professor who the football team were kept away from at all costs though because he was deemed to be so difficult. Anyone I knew playing soccer at other schools were never handed out favours with marks either. 

I would say the mid to top end of graduates are quite comparable to graduates up here. For me, the biggest difference is that the yanks have far more lower end graduating ..... which is that necessarily a bad thing? I can see why some say it could slightly undermine their degree, but I’ve experienced that for most cases, no one really cares what your degree is in or where it’s from, but rather if you have one.

• 7 months later...