CSA is exploring the possibility of re-designing the National team crest

52 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

Do you mean you're wary of a new one, or weary of the old one?  Either one works, and I agree.

The current logo, despite what tradition it may hold, sets the bar pretty low in the category of design imho.  The Voyageurs logo would be an improvement.  And many iconic sports logos have been at least tweaked (sometimes multiple times; ie Maple Leafs) over the course of their existence.  The few logos that started out attractive (ie. Yankees) obviously needed less tweaking over the years.  I would argue that the CSA crest is not in this category.  

Does anyone have a link to the actual statement by the CSA on this potential change?  

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I will reserve judgement until I see, but I must be in the minority in that I don't mind the current logo.  It tells me "Canada" and "soccer".  It works.

I'm with you. The current crest does it's job and redesigning the logo will do very little for the program other than waste money...unless they hire me to design it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really not a fan of our current crest, and would like black to be added to the team colors myself.

That said, if you are doing to do it, do it right. Produce three logos and let fans decide. Rugby Canada recently rebranded and went from an awesome looking logo to something that belongs on a dollar store T-Shirt.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Maybe this is next? 

Maybe with the CSB involvement they will convince Canada Soccer to take a cue from the CPL and not mention the team’s location (Forge, Valour, Cavalry). So we will go from the Canadian Soccer Association to Canada Soccer (the current name) and finally to something like Polite Football Association. Can our artists come up with a potential logo for that?

On 12/18/2018 at 7:14 PM, Kent said:

Maybe with the CSB involvement they will convince Canada Soccer to take a cue from the CPL and not mention the team’s location (Forge, Valour, Cavalry). So we will go from the Canadian Soccer Association to Canada Soccer (the current name) and finally to something like Polite Football Association. Can our artists come up with a potential logo for that?

Sure, it just has a soccer ball with SORRY written across it.

I will absolutely riot if they overhaul the logo.?

Seriously though, as someone who grew up with the current logo, I would be incredibly disappointed to see it thrown away. The logo means a lot to me. As a youth player, it was what I dreamed of one day wearing.

I get that times change, and logos change, and one day kids will look up to the new logo, whatever it may be. The time may be right to change it with 2026 around the corner, as much as I would hate it.

That said, I have an argument against changing it that's not sentimental:

If you take a look at the logos of other sports in Canada, they all incorporate the maple leaf. This is not a coincidence imo. The maple leaf is, quite frankly, is Canada as far as imagery goes. Thus, we would do well to always ensure our logo predominantly features a maple leaf. Always.

A logo must also visual depict, so like it or not, a soccer ball is also good design for a soccer association. Especially in a non-traditional soccer country. It doesn't have to be a lame soccer ball with a flame spewing from it, but you want the viewer to make the visual connection that soccer is the sport being represented. Especially in Canada where the sport is growing, but not mainstream.

Thus, I would argue that our current design is a good one. And like I said, it is not a drastic departure from most of our other national sporting associations, such as basketball, volleyball, hockey etc.

Any argument about it being marred by previous failure is a poor one, for mental association such as that will change when we reach success.

I would caution those wishing for a Peru style logo to consider the wider audience and keep in mind that not everyone has, shall I say, such a sophisticated view towards football.

If the goal is for soccer in Canada to break into the mainstrem in this country, it will largely be through appealing to average person and not converting the eurosnob, as it were.

Just my opinion though. 

Archived