Harry Paton

Fullback

1 hour ago, Shway said:

That first tackle in the first minute sums of the SPL and their rash tackles. The league is so anti-football. 

It’s not anti-football; it’s just a bit industrial and compared to the 1970s and 80s, the game is calmer.  I don’t want all football to look uniformly like Barcelona of 5 years ago.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

That first tackle in the first minute sums of the SPL and their rash tackles. The league is so anti-football. 

That is what I was expecting. But watching the whole video (granted they are selective highlights) I was impressed. Lots of creative play and some great touches, all under threat of leg breaking tackles, which makes it even more impressive. He certainly can play at this level. 

9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The bulk release of players in the SPFL is pretty much standard these days.  The former manager, John Hughes, was probably the only reason why they stayed up; I can’t see any reason Ross County wouldn’t struggle again next season and think they may be favourites for the drop.

Why did Hughes not stay on?

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

Why did Hughes not stay on?

Really don’t know.  He was brought in to save them from relegation which he’s done.  Maybe he doesn’t think he wants to face that battle again next season.  There will always be a job at the next troubled club for him.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Another concern for Gold Cup inclusion. 

Scottish League Cup starts for them 10 Jul and Premiership 31 Jul.

I don't think it's a concern. If we made the final he would miss just one match. 

I'm sure playing for Canada is a higher priority than Ross County. 

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

I don't think it's a concern. If we made the final he would miss just one match. 

I'm sure playing for Canada is a higher priority than Ross County. 

I hope.  That said, they released a bunch of veteran players - all time leaders in things if I remember correctly - and he was retained.  May well feel he owns them something.  Depends how much they value that cup as well. 

Completely forgot about this lad. I hope we get him involved, but that Scottish Cup date is coming quickly. 

And as much as I personally want him involved, I question if he'd be selected. If we want a strong squad we are probably calling Kaye, Osorio and Piette, but then we have Priso, Fraser, and Baldisimo to consider. Does Chapman get a call back into the team? What about Teibert? What about Metcalfe?  Not advocating for all of those guys ahead of Paton, just listing the competition he'll be facing.

27 minutes ago, VinceA said:

If he doesn't come to the GC I don't think we ever see him again simply because WCQ won't be a proving ground for guys like him and the MLS CM youngsters all probably have higher ceilings and will be at the GC most likely.

So if Canada calls I think he accepts.

That's a good point, if he's being called and has to choose between club and country, it may be hard for him to turn us down. For someone like Corbeanu who's already firmly in the plans, it may be easier. 

The question for me is whether he's even called.

I’ve been watching some clips of him from this season and he looks very comfortable and confident in attack. Transfermarkt lists his main position as central midfielder but he actually seems to play way higher up the field. 

I really want to see him at the Gold Cup, there could be a hidden gem here IMO. 

1 minute ago, Atlantic said:

I’ve been watching some clips of him from this season and he looks very comfortable and confident in attack. Transfermarkt lists his main position as central midfielder but he actually seems to play way higher up the field. 

I really want to see him at the Gold Cup, there could be a hidden gem here IMO. 

I think this is the key point.  He isn't competing against Baldisimo or Fraser or Priso or any of those guys.  I think he's competing more with Osorio and Wotherspoon further up the pitch as well as kids like Habibullah and JMR.

Also, I don't buy the higher ceilings argument.  Doesn't matter who has the higher ceiling, what matters is who is the better player right now (except of course when it comes to cap-tying).

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think this is the key point.  He isn't competing against Baldisimo or Fraser or Priso or any of those guys.  I think he's competing more with Osorio and Wotherspoon further up the pitch as well as kids like Habibullah and JMR.

Also, I don't buy the higher ceilings argument.  Doesn't matter who has the higher ceiling, what matters is who is the better player right now (except of course when it comes to cap-tying).

Hmmm, this is a strangely calm and rational post.  When did you stop drinking Hombre??