Harry Paton

Fullback

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Either way he looks like solid depth in a year where it looks like we really need it.

I think this is really the thing.  We're looking at WCQ, Gold Cup, Olympic qualifiers and possibly the Olympics themselves.  We know there's plenty of players who be there for all of them.  It's hard not to imagine a 22 year old playing regularly in the SPL not getting the call for at least one of these events.

I've only seen highlites but he looks to occupy the attacking midfielder space on the field. So who is that for us? Arfield, Osorio, maybe David... I think Paton should start to be a consideration to make the 24 or 18. I would say the guy looking over his shoulder would be Osorio. 

I could be wrong but Flores looks also to be that style of player 

Edited by SpursFlu

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I've only seen highlites but he looks to occupy the attacking midfielder space on the field. So who is that for us? Arfield, Osorio, maybe David... I think Paton should start to be a consideration to make the 24 or 18. I would say the guy looking over his shoulder would be Osorio. 

I could be wrong but Flores looks also to be that style of player 

No idea about validity but there is this: https://www.footballcritic.com/harry-paton/player-positions/131246

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

The problem is that is he a good player on a bad team or can he contribute on a better team. I dont see him making a 23 man squad right now and we dobt play any friendlies to get guys like this into the squad.

His goal Canada-wise was to play in the Olympics.  At least that is what he said in an interview when he joined Ross County. Be a huge asset at that level, if it all happens this year. 

9 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

The problem is that is he a good player on a bad team or can he contribute on a better team. I dont see him making a 23 man squad right now and we dobt play any friendlies to get guys like this into the squad.

Exactly what I was thinking. North American bubble guys like Shaffelburg, Bair, Bustos etc. get a shot but we never have European friendlies where these guys can get looks. It’s a shame.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the news today that Ross County released 10 of their players at once, having brought in Malky Mackay (who I know from having a cup of coffee with West Ham in the Championship, two relegations ago) as their new manager. 

Paton not one of them. 

And I found this article which I found strange because I thought he was out of contract. 

https://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/sport/ten-players-will-not-be-at-ross-county-next-season-239625/

"The club is currently in discussions with Keith Watson, Blair Spittal and Ross Munro.

Players currently under contract for 2021/22 are Ross Laidlaw, Connor Randall, Oli Shaw, Tom Grivosti, Alex Iacovitti, Regan Charles-Cook, Jordan Tillson, Harry Paton, Coll Donaldson and Jordan White."

Any insights?

The bulk release of players in the SPFL is pretty much standard these days.  The former manager, John Hughes, was probably the only reason why they stayed up; I can’t see any reason Ross County wouldn’t struggle again next season and think they may be favourites for the drop.