Harry Paton

Fullback

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

Will have a new manager next game. Was sacked today prior to his post game interview. Harry is usually technically ahead of his team mates, hopefully County doesn’t  hire a recycled Scottish manager

Stuart Kettlewell was appointed as an inexperienced, young manager.  I would predict an old head (and Scottish) to come in to try to keep them in the division.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 10:56 PM, Dominic94 said:

Is there really anywhere close to being able to play for us ?

In the old days, not long after I became a regular here, he would definitely be in the mix. As it stands, I can't see how he's make anything other than a B camp at the moment. He is great to follow and support, though, and you never know how high a player might climb.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:56 PM, Dominic94 said:

Is there really anywhere close to being able to play for us ?

I am wondering the same thing after seeing his goal for Ross County, which he took very well. I know his team are bottom of the table, and times have changed for Canada with all the talent we have, but scoring goals like that in the SPL at lease gives me pause for thought on this player.

I think he has a pretty good chance of making the team if we have an All-European selection, but for now I would say he still probably falls short when assembling our best squad.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am wondering the same thing after seeing his goal for Ross County, which he took very well. I know his team are bottom of the table, and times have changed for Canada with all the talent we have, but scoring goals like that in the SPL at lease gives me pause for thought on this player.

I think he has a pretty good chance of making the team if we have an All-European selection, but for now I would say he still probably falls short when assembling our best squad.

8 or 10 years ago we would all be clamouring about a 22 year old with over 50 games in the SPL playing midfield for us.

Look at how many games guys got in L1, B3, Unattached etc.

But in the past 5 years our midfield has gotten good and very deep as well.  

Paton is still pretty young and improving but he would have to step up a level and establish himself to get a call up I think.  There’s definitely a good future for him though.

I think we need to look at history a bit.  At 2011 gold cup we had Hutch, Dero, Simpson, W Johnson, JDG in the midfield.  No one from unattached, but we did have guys from Burnley, Ipswich, Norwich, PSV, Horsens, Manisapor, Hertha BSC, Augsburg, and FC Koln.  Edgar, Mckenna, Peters and Klukowski at the back.  The cupboard wasnt that bare, we have just been continual under acheivers.  And I still dont mind if the manager tries out some guys from lower leagues, you never know who'll be a star in the international game (Ali Gerba).  

Time flies.  It’s 2021 now.  How about the 2013 Gold Cup - 8 years ago?

In that tournament only Borjan, Edgar and Johnson would be getting a sniff on our current team (I mean the players at that time of their development, not the players overall)

The cupboards were very very bare.  Tell me about that roster and the time we lost to Martinique?  In that gold cup we started :

Borjan - Turkish 1st division 

Ledgerwood - A Swedish D2 player at the time 

Edgar - playing in the Championship

Henry - a 20 year old at TFC but starting

De Jong - Playing B2

De Guzman- Unattached- just flames out of MLS

Will Johnson (C) - MLS regular

Sam Piette - 18 year old playing in B4

Russe Teibert - 19 year old MLS substitute 

Marcus Haber - 20 year old playing League 1

Tosaint Ricketts- a substitute in Norwegian 1st division 

Kyle Bekker - a 21 year old rookie MLS sub

Jonathan Osorio- 20 year old rookie MLS sub

Kyle Porter - an MLS regular 

Issey Nakajima-Farran - a sub in the Cyprus 1st division 

Simeon Jackson - unattached 

Edit- club details.

Edited by baulderdash77

Actually looking at that 2013 Gold Cup - Paton would definitely be starting for us starting in his 2nd season in the SPL.  He would be a big part of our team.

edit- those were such dark days.  We didn’t score a goal that gold cup.  It felt bleak in the aftermath of the 8-0 WQC flameout.

Hutch and Hainaut were out of contract and declined invitations to avoid injuries.  Cavalini declined an invitation.

De Guzman, Straith, Jackson and Randy Edwini-Bonsu were unattached and joined to showcase themselves.

De Rosario and Bernier were left off as they were deemed too old.

Edited by baulderdash77

17 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

In that tournament only Borjan, Edgar and Johnson would be getting a sniff on our current team (I mean the players at that time of their development, not the players overall)

The cupboards were very very bare.  Tell me about that roster and the time we lost to Martinique?  In that gold cup we started :

De Jong - Playing B2

Edit- club details.

Haber was born in 1989 and Osorio was born in 1992

13 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

De Jong - Playing B2

Edit- club details.

TBF a lot of guys said no that year. It was definitely a tough era for us but our player pool wasn't actually that bad

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Haber was born in 1989 and Osorio was born in 1992

I got Haber wrong.  Osorio turned 21 later that year.

But that’s what you got out of the post?  Damn it took me a while to dig all that crap up; not to mention the horrible memories stirred up looking at those game profiles *shudder*

The point I’m making is our program really has come so far in the last 8 years.  Poor Paton would be getting call ups in most periods of time except this one in our programs history.  

He's definitely a lock for the U23 squad. As for the senior team, at the moment the MF options are Piette/Eustaquio/Osorio/Arfield/Hutchinson/Kaye all fighting for three positions. After that you have Teibert who gets in if Atiba steps down. Then you have young guns like Fraser, Priso and I would put Paton in that group. 

Thats unfair calling guys unattached when they were in between clubs??  JDG went from B2 I believe to top flight greece, Jackson was coming off EPL Norwich going to the Bunda.  Ocean was at Kaiserslauten, Hume was injured, Hutch wasnt there, Hainault was going from SPL to Bunda 2.  Mckenna was still at koln.  There was more depth there than showed up in 2013.

Edited by Bison44