General Discussion on Canadian Youth Teams

41 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I think the division they get placed in will matter too. If they end in the Northeast with Montreal, NYCFC and New England they may as well stick in OPDL playing up an age group. But if they go into Mid-America with Crew, Chicago Fire and Sockers (Chicago) then it'll probably be worth it.

edit: TFC III are in L1O now. Actually probably not an improvement going into USSDA at that age, but it's all or nothing i believe.

In the team info booklet handed out at the tournament in California, TFC is listed as a Mid-America team. The USSDA website is also recording the W/L of TFC this week in the Mid-America division on their website. However, the divisions are going to be realigned soon so it's all up in the air. 

#4 Impact u19s drop the #24 Dynamo u19s 6-1. Both sides were playing heavily rotated teams. The u19s need to beat Atlanta United and have the Dynamo pick up a point off the Galaxy to advance to the knockouts.

#10 Whitecaps u19s defeated #30 Crew u19s 3-1. Bair, Alade, Fussell the scorers. The Whitecaps need a point against Pateadores to advance to the knockouts.

The TFCs u17s have been eliminated from the Best of the Rest tournament.

Edited by harrycoyster

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

#4 Impact u19s drop the #24 Dynamo u19s 6-1. Both sides were playing heavily rotated teams. The u19s need to beat Atlanta United and have the Dynamo pick up a point off the Galaxy to advance to the knockouts.

The Montreal Impact U19s did very well to rebound from Monday's disappointing loss. Forward Vincent Lamy scored 2 of the Impact's goals. Glad to see him doing well. Choinière, Kinumbe and Bayiha are mentioned more often, but Lamy is a legitimate pro prospect too.

7 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

The Montreal Impact U19s did very well to rebound from Monday's disappointing loss. Forward Vincent Lamy scored 2 of the Impact's goals. Glad to see him doing well. Choinière, Kinumbe and Bayiha are mentioned more often, but Lamy is a legitimate pro prospect too.

Lamy if he is a legit prospect then he should have no problem breaking through into the first team for Montreal Impact

3 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Lamy if he is a legit prospect then he should have no problem breaking through into the first team for Montreal Impact

This is the only reason we talk about any youth player on this board. There is a chance that any youth player could improve and play at a higher level. This goes without saying.

41 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

This is the only reason we talk about any youth player on this board. There is a chance that any youth player could improve and play at a higher level. This goes without saying.

But only if he plays well...

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Of course I agree with that but is Lamy internationally playing for Canada right now at youth level? If he is I am just saying then that that is great.

5 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/1/9/16870126/six-toronto-fc-prospects-invited-to-canada-u-23-camp

Seeing this article it seems that these TFC Academy players could be something. However, I don't know enough about them so I was wondering what is your take on the players in the article?

That article if from january.  Sorry if I sound like a dick..but these guys have threads on here.  You post on these threads, maybe you should start by reading them.  Dunn, Daniels and Fraser have played with TFC and all have been discussed at length on the TFC thread.  You can watch/highlights read summaries of those games.  A bunch of these kids went to the toulon tournie, you could read that thread to see how there are progressing.  

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

That article if from january.  Sorry if I sound like a dick..but these guys have threads on here.  You post on these threads, maybe you should start by reading them.  Dunn, Daniels and Fraser have played with TFC and all have been discussed at length on the TFC thread.  You can watch/highlights read summaries of those games.  A bunch of these kids went to the toulon tournie, you could read that thread to see how there are progressing.  

Well I didn't know that these kids had separate threads or that they even were talked about in those threads. Forgive me if I am new here unlike the rest of you. 

Impact u17s defeat the #24 PDA Academy 4-3. A point against St. Louis FC moves them into the knockouts. Caps u17s draw #27 Orlando City u17s 1-1 with the goal coming from Jamaican youth national and Canadian traitor Keisean Brooks. Barca Arizona stomped the Union, meaning the Whitecaps u17s will be going home after their match with Philly on Saturday. 

Over in the u15 showcase, Montreal u15s tie DC United 0-0 and TFC u15s lose 2-1 to PDA.

39 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Impact u17s defeat the #24 PDA Academy 4-3. A point against St. Louis FC moves them into the knockouts. Caps u17s draw #27 Orlando City u17s 1-1 with the goal coming from Jamaican youth national and Canadian traitor Keisean Brooks. Barca Arizona stomped the Union, meaning the Whitecaps u17s will be going home after their match with Philly on Saturday. 

Over in the u15 showcase, Montreal u15s tie DC United 0-0 and TFC u15s lose 2-1 to PDA.

Do you think any players from these teams might make the senior team for the 2022 world cup (Qatar) qualifiers or for the 2022 world cup (Qatar) itself? It is good when players are good because they can help us qualify for the world cup in 2022 or even 2026 (Canada, Mexico and USA) but I don't know if players on these teams (Whitecaps u17s, Impact u17s and TFC u15s) are legit prospects that can help us qualify for the 2022 world cup (Qatar).

With Brooks I will say this he would be an asset for Canada should he choose Canada. I mean he obviously has talent that goes without saying and Canada recognizes that but also I am sure Jamaica they are also paying attention to him too. Pretty much at this point it will pretty much be a case of him making that final decision. If he chooses Jamaica yeah sure that wouldn't be as good but for them he would be an asset especially since Jamaica themselves are going through a rebuild especially after not qualifying for Russia 2018. If he chooses Canada he would get to play in a FIFA World Cup because we would be hosting well co-hosting with Mexico and USA and yeah the added bonus he would get to be playing in front of home fans here in Canada. However, he does have Jamaican roots so I can see why he would want to choose Jamaica.

Especially with Canada-USA-Mexico 2026 being 48 teams he really can play for either national team and fit right in. However, do I want him to choose Canada? Of course but the only question is will he?

I mean if Canada do qualify for Qatar 2022 and Jamaica miss out then the answer should be simple. Just like how if Canada fail to qualify for 2022 and Jamaica qualifies then the answer is simple again.

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents. Has lived in Canada for the majority of his life, but the Jamaican pride is obvious with him due to his family. This is his Twitter page, and his cleats at the USSDA showcase are Jamaican flag themed. 

Then it makes sense why he would want to switch allegiance to play for Jamaica

The Impact u19s defeat Atlanta United's u19s, but will not be advancing to the knockouts. The #29 LA Galaxy will advance instead. How did the #29th ranked team defeat 3 top 15 academies by massive margins you ask? They took advantage of a USSDA rule that allows professional players to play in the competition as long as they are age eligible and have played a minute in a USSDA away game.  As a result the LA Galaxy are fielding five USL regulars in a u19 competition. 

The Whitecaps u19s defeat Pateadores u19s 3-1, and move onto the semi-finals.

The Toronto FC u15s lose to the Red Bulls u15s 2-0. Finishing their time in California winless.

The Impact u19s defeat Atlanta United's u19s, but will not be advancing to the knockouts. The #29 LA Galaxy will advance instead. How did the #29th ranked team defeat 3 top 15 academies by massive margins you ask? They took advantage of a USSDA rule that allows professional players to play in the competition as long as they are age eligible and have played a minute in a USSDA away game.  As a result the LA Galaxy are fielding five USL regulars in a u19 competition. 

The Toronto FC u15s lose to the Red Bulls u15s 2-0. Finishing their time in California winless.

@harrycoyster Do you know if the USL guys are professionals or maintain their amateur status (ie NCAA eligibility)? It's pretty common for a lot of young USL players to maintain their amateur status. The rule, it seems to me, should allow those who maintain amateur status but disqualify the paid professionals (not saying that is the rule, only that it should be).

On 6/18/2018 at 6:04 PM, harrycoyster said:

Made a catch-all for CMNT youth teams and Canadian academy news.

Earlier today TFC officially joined the USSDA at all levels, joining the Whitecaps and the Impact. I talked to a friend within the Whitecaps youth system who told me that the move has been in the works for a while, but was dependent on the 2026 World Cup bid.

Why would TFC moving their youth set up to the USSDA be dependant on winning the 2026 bid? Don't follow that one...

As a Montreal Impact fan, I'm pleased that our U19s won by a score of 3-0. Mathieu Choinière scored twice and Clément Bayiha had the other goal.

And harrycoyster, I thank you for posting info and comments about this competition. Much appreciated.

23 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Why would TFC moving their youth set up to the USSDA be dependant on winning the 2026 bid? Don't follow that one...

Because the decision ultimately came down to the Ontario Soccer Association, who are allowed to govern the youth game in Ontario as they see fit. Up until now, they’ve been hesitant to secede control over their crown jewel academy to the Americans, for financial and other reasons. But with the 2026 bid accepted, the CSA pushed hard to get everybody in line to put us in the best position possible to develop players over the next eight years.

Edited by harrycoyster

17 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

@harrycoyster Do you know if the USL guys are professionals or maintain their amateur status (ie NCAA eligibility)? It's pretty common for a lot of young USL players to maintain their amateur status. The rule, it seems to me, should allow those who maintain amateur status but disqualify the paid professionals (not saying that is the rule, only that it should be).

At least 4 of the 5 LA Galaxy USL guys are on paid contracts. The current rule allows players to still play USSDA ball as long as they had amateur status at some point during the season. I think the rule is intended so that MLS teams can sign players before the showcase because, as I’ve mentioned, this tournament is crawling with top scouts. But LA seems to be gaming the system. I’ve watched this tournament for years and can’t remember a single team fielding more than one player with pro experience.