Qatar 2022 Hex

Guest Tg11

As far as the 2022 Hexagonal qualifiers for Qatar 2022...if Herdman is still the man in charge could he lead Canada back to the FIFA World Cup? I mean it would be a perfect dress rehearsal as far as 2026 especially if FIFA gives us automatic qualification as co-hosts. 2022 however do we have the talent to actually compete in the Hex? I would say most definitely we do but then again our team is pretty young sort to speak. 2026 gives me hope and seeing how 2018 has turned out thus far in Russia I can say I am excited already about the Hex for 2022. So many possibilities.

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

I think it will be a massive disappointment if Canada doesnt make the Hex for the 2022 cycle.....

Yeah but competing in the Hex with the likes of the USA who will be playing like they have something to prove after missing out on Russia and then teams like Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, etc. Canada is gonna have to come out of the gate strong.

2 minutes ago, admin said:

I thought there were changes afoot.....

I think there will be but at the same time what the CSA needs to do right now is scout players first and foremost as far as team development. Team development needs to start now immediately after Russia 2018 is over. Develop the next generation of Canadian players and if they are really talented could actually make noise at either U-17 or U-20 level. Doing that then if they really impress then you bring them into the team. You incorporate youth but also have that veteran presence as well.

2 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

I think it will be a massive disappointment if Canada doesnt make the Hex for the 2022 cycle.....

Only when you experience it can you call yourself a Voyageur.  We’ve all been there.. the hope, the dreams, the optimism.  Suddenly you can taste it and then you’re calculating goal differential and scenarios on the last match day and then by minute 30 all hope is lost and you’re drunk and ranting on the voyageurs board calling for the CSA to be sacked and wondering why we ever call player X to begin with. 

20 hours ago, Tg11 said:

As far as the 2022 Hexagonal qualifiers for Qatar 2022...if Herdman is still the man in charge could he lead Canada back to the FIFA World Cup? I mean it would be a perfect dress rehearsal as far as 2026 especially if FIFA gives us automatic qualification as co-hosts. 2022 however do we have the talent to actually compete in the Hex? I would say most definitely we do but then again our team is pretty young sort to speak. 2026 gives me hope and seeing how 2018 has turned out thus far in Russia I can say I am excited already about the Hex for 2022. So many possibilities.

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I thought so too... I recall there being talk of changing the format...there will be no more Hex.

Yep, the hex is almost certainly going to be done away with for the 2022 WCQs. Talk from Montagliani has been of reducing the number of rounds and keeping nations in qualifiers longer, as other confederations like UEFA and CAF have done.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/09/concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-more-teams

Regardless I'm not sure there's much point speculating on whether we can "make the hex" until we actually find out what the new format will be after this World Cup.

General concensus on the forum has been that we have the players to qualify for a 32-team World Cup, but we haven't found a way to get the team to click. And most people also seem to agree that the current team is one of the best and deepest in recent memory. So hopefully we can do well, but there's not much else to say at this stage since we're trying to discuss matches that would be played in 2021.

If they change the format for 2022 qualifiers then of course you have your top 3 CONCACAF teams qualify and then your 4th placed team goes into an intercontinental playoff but the playoff I would of course have with Oceania and South America can have their inter continental playoff with Asia to determine qualifiers...that is the best way in my opinion

• 11 months later...

It's now official

It will be a 32 team World Cup, so we'll have to get in the old fashion way 1 last time

1.  Can we make the Hex?
  2. If yes, can we finish top 3?
  3. if no, can we defeat the AFC nation in intercontinental playoffs?
  4. Projected HEX roster
  5. Which dual international will commit to Canada for the WCQ Campaign?
  6. Discuss

Edited by Ansem

26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It's now official

It will be a 32 team World Cup, so we'll have to get in the old fashion way 1 last time

1.  Can we make the Hex?
  2. If yes, can we finish top 3?
  3. if no, can we defeat the AFC nation in intercontinental playoffs?
  4. Projected HEX roster
  5. Which dual international will commit to Canada for the WCQ Campaign?
  6. Discuss

You have a source for the fact it's definitely going to be the old fashioned way? My sense was even with a 32 team WC they were considering other qualifying formats.

18 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

You have a source for the fact it's definitely going to be the old fashioned way? My sense was even with a 32 team WC they were considering other qualifying formats.

The format for qualifying won't be confirmed until July 2019, but it has been reported that Victor Montagliani wants to change the format for CONCACAF so that teams aren't eliminated from qualifying so quickly.

12 hours ago, canta15 said:

Am I missing something? I think there is a draw for the intercontinental playoff. Why would we face the Afc

My understanding is that FIFA decided, back in 2015, that the same number of spots would be allocated for each confederation. So CONCACAF still has 3.5 spots, but the format of the inter-confederation playoffs will not be announced until the preliminary draw in July 2019.

I fancy our chances if we finish 4th and have to do the intercontinental play-off.

Obviously whoever finishes 5th in SA would be the toughest test, but I think we could hang with 5th from AFC. Last time it was Australia, who have a much better track record than us, obviously, but on paper we are now very close to them. Other teams that could realistically finish in that spot are: Uzbekistan, China, Iran, Iraq, Qatar, Saudi Arabia. I think we have a shot against any of those teams. If Japan or Korea somehow slip up and face us we are in trouble though, I think. Oceania/NZ get a half spot too, right? I think we beat them if we're paired up.

Edited by Obinna

Matt Doyle actually highly praised our attack saying that we debatably have the best attack in Concacaf based on raw talent. He also took a hit at Costa Rica saying that their stars were getting older and Joel Campbell is stagnating

4 hours ago, canta15 said:

Matt Doyle actually highly praised our attack saying that we debatably have the best attack in Concacaf based on raw talent. He also took a hit at Costa Rica saying that their stars were getting older and Joel Campbell is stagnating

Bless Matt Doyle....he has a soft spot for Canada

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

Vamos a ver