AS Blainville Facing Sanctions For Pyro

4 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Apparently successful, well attended semi-pro matches with spectators having fun is not what we want in Canadian soccer!

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/201806/09/01-5185113-fusees-pyrotechniques-des-accusations-contre-las-blainville.php

Odd that the CSA may take disciplinary action for the flares and not the pitch invasion.

On 6/9/2018 at 3:55 PM, Grizzly said:

Apparently successful, well attended semi-pro matches with spectators having fun is not what we want in Canadian soccer!

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/201806/09/01-5185113-fusees-pyrotechniques-des-accusations-contre-las-blainville.php

I feel like we've discussed this before.  I do not want to be at a game with flares.  I see it as needlessly distracting, not to mention dangerous.  What does it have to do with soccer?  How does it add to my enjoyment if someone starts billowing smoke everywhere?

15 hours ago, RJB said:

I feel like we've discussed this before.  I do not want to be at a game with flares.  I see it as needlessly distracting, not to mention dangerous.  What does it have to do with soccer?  How does it add to my enjoyment if someone starts billowing smoke everywhere?

I feel like we've discussed this before. I do want to be at a game with flares. I see it as an enhancing visual element, not to mention both exciting and dangerous. Consider a flare like a banner, a flag, a drum or chanting. What do they have to do with soccer? How does it add to my enjoyment if someone starts singing or waving a flag?

4 hours ago, masster said:

I feel like we've discussed this before. I do want to be at a game with flares. I see it as an enhancing visual element, not to mention both exciting and dangerous. Consider a flare like a banner, a flag, a drum or chanting. What do they have to do with soccer? How does it add to my enjoyment if someone starts singing or waving a flag?

Because flares are a safety hazard, esp in uncontrolled environment like supporter's sections. Drunk people waiving pyro around.

Yeah. Lawsuits awaiting to happen.

Yes, this has come up before.  And with little resolution other than one side saying they want them because they're cool and add atmosphere, and the other side saying they are irrelevant and dangerous.  Whether I'm in the section with the flare or not, I don't want the smoke in the stadium.  I don't want to be downwind from it, I don't want my kids in a building where a (potentially) drunk person has a stick of fire, and I welcome them being banned at games at all levels.  Simple risk-benefit analysis makes it perfectly clear that flares should be banned.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:53 AM, RJB said:

Pelo amor de Deus hahahahahah

I enjoy firing a gun off in the air from time to time when I am feeling particularly celebratory.  I really feel like it adds to the drama and the loud noise of the gun shot lets everyone know how excited I really am.  I only fire a hand gun though.  Firing an AK47 would be too dangerous.  I also make sure I am at least 10 feet away from any children.  Responsibility  and safety first!  My alcohol consumption is also strictly limited to 3 beers (self-enforced).

The people around me sometimes look scared or worried when I do it, but secretly they all acknowledge I am adding to the atmosphere.

Flares for the most part are banned here, but when they are used clubs are fined.

I really hated going to ice hockey matches (3rd division) when flares were being used.... not the best idea for an indoor venue.  

I don't feel particularly strongly about it, I just think they are kind of stupid.  In a venue where people want to watch the game, one person feels entitled to produce a massive cloud of smoke at or near field level?  Not for me, thanks.  And it isn't some "think of the children" argument - I just don't see them adding anything to the event.

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't feel particularly strongly about it, I just think they are kind of stupid.  In a venue where people want to watch the game, one person feels entitled to produce a massive cloud of smoke at or near field level?  Not for me, thanks.  And it isn't some "think of the children" argument - I just don't see them adding anything to the event.

I suppose flags, and signs, and singing add nothing either? The atmosphere would be so much better if we all just sat quietly on our hands so everyone could see and hear everything?

More seriously though, I don't like smoke during open play. We generally do it after goals, before play has resumed, or at kick off.

2 hours ago, ted said:

I suppose flags, and signs, and singing add nothing either? The atmosphere would be so much better if we all just sat quietly on our hands so everyone could see and hear everything?

More seriously though, I don't like smoke during open play. We generally do it after goals, before play has resumed, or at kick off.

Okay, you like flares.  Cool.  To each his own.

But to compare a flare to a sign or a song is, to me, disingenuous.  A song doesn't detract from the game, and is something that all fans can get into.  A flare is not.  A sign is not dangerous, nor is a flag. A flare in a crowd?  Well, there is a reason they are banned in lots of places.

Look, I get it - you like flares.  And that is fine.  Just don't use bullshit reasoning to justify it.  Especially if you are going to call out Avro for making analogies with disanalogous things.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

But to compare a flare to a sign or a song is, to me, disingenuous.  A song doesn't detract from the game, and is something that all fans can get into.

I guess you missed the part where I said I don't like smoke during play and provided an acceptable compromise that allows for more atmosphere while addressing your concerns.

As for you "disanalogous" argument:

Flags: disrupt the view
Songs: prevent hearing what is happening and announcements that may be relevant
Standing: disrupt the view
Flares: disrupt the view

All these things are acknowledged and common elements of supporters culture worldwide. You may not like some of them, but comparing them is not "disanalogous ". 

Archived