CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

Every two years it's the same story. Our players can't get it done. Why do any of you expect anything different? My default is that we never qualify for an u20 tournament. Nothing I've seen changes my mind going forward.

Isnt  being in a professional environment and having sports psychologists supposed to give our players an edge so they don't do stupid things like that red card?

Just now, Soccerpro said:

Every two years it's the same story. Our players can't get it done. Why do any of you expect anything different? My default is that we never qualify for an u20 tournament. Nothing I've seen changes my mind going forward.

Isnt  being in a professional environment and having sports psychologists supposed to give our players an edge so they don't do stupid things like that red card?

Some of us argued pretty strongly that we needed to take our best U20 players to this tournament to help ensure qualification.  With our top 3 guys absent, it was always going to be an uphill battle.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Some of us argued pretty strongly that we needed to take our best U20 players to this tournament to help ensure qualification.  With our top 3 guys absent, it was always going to be an uphill battle.

Why? 

Why shouldn't we able to qualify without 3 or 4 players?

USA just pounded Trinidad 6-1 and they were missing more players than us.

Crazy how much one play can affect your tournament. Before the match I would have said we had a ~30% chance of qualifying for the WC. After the red, probably 5% at most. Now we are virtually done.

I agree that Baldisimo's challenge was no worse than the from behind one on Choiniere, but that doesn't excuse his (Baldisimo's) decision. Ridiculous to put yourself in that position. You have to know that a red card ruins the entire tournament for your team. Very disappointing from a guy who was probably our best player so far.

Le Bourhis and Campbell are nowhere near good enough for this level. Le Bourhis has allowed two one v ones due to lack of positioning, agility, and problem solving. Staggering to see him make so many wrong decisions in the span of a few seconds. Speaking of the one v ones, Busti was glued to his line for some reason. I'm not convinced by Busti yet.

I don't know what to do at HT. If we got there at 0-0 we could have taken off Bair (not suited to playing with 10 men) and Campbell (just poor) and brought on a defensive midfielder (Fazili?) and Bayiha, putting Reid up front. Now we have to go for a goal and probably a draw at best, then try and play the pump the minnow game. The other option is to try and get a Panamanian player sent off (they have two on a yellow). Perhaps the ref wants to even things up.

What a frustrating turn of events.

Ok so that was extremely negative. My positives are that Reid and Choiniere look like real players. They are the only ones I think may do something at the next level. Okello's potential is obvious, but it is also obvious he may bust. I hope he puts it all together because he has that Atiba skill set that allows him to do everything. I never understood all the love for Dunn, but seeing him beside contemporaries like Le Bourhis and Romeo it is clear he is a level above them.

Edited by El Diego

3 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Why? 

They aren't just any 3 or 4 players - they are our best players.  That makes a massive difference.  It is over 1/3 of the guys on the field.

And who gives a shit what the US did?   We need to do what we can to qualify.

2 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Fonzie on his own may have been enough to push us over the top

He legitimately could have. It's crazy how much better he is than all the guys in this tournament we've seen so far, and he's underage for it to boot.

2 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Why? 

Because we're clearly much worse overall? I'm, not trying to be a jerk, I just don't understand your argument. 

What we should do is bring in Davies and Millar, let them run at the defense and break them down.  Oh wait, everyone wanted to prioritize the senior team and the game against st kitts.  Well, I guess the kids there better dig deep and make something happen.  

Just now, C2SKI said:

If anything, this tournament solidifies the fact that we need our best players with the senior team. There are no automatic wins for us.

I disagree.  Our whole U20 group is going to miss out on the biggest tournament they could play in (and the biggest many of them ever could hope to play in) because of that decision.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I disagree.  Our whole U20 group is going to miss out on the biggest tournament they could play in (and the biggest many of them ever could hope to play in) because of that decision.

Could the same not be said for the senior team?

It is not as if our program doesn't have experience playing these nations and these type of games. Most of these players also have in earlier age groups. 

We suffer as they have big physical CB's and simlar pacey physical forwards. We are slow and/or lightweight even if we have technique and skill which means we can't always handle the movement and pace when they attack and are mainly nullified when we attack. 

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Someone explain these subs....??????

Bayiha offers speed to get in behind Panama who will get more of the ball. It also pushes Choiniere into the middle and Campbell to right back. Campbell was playing center mid and is strictly a defensive midfielder and Legault is a defensive full back.

No clue on Reid.