CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

10 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Canadian teams continue to master the side and back pass and run out of ideas.

Where are the forward moving combinations from our players? Do any academy teams in Canada attempt drills with 1-2s in the attacking third of the pitch?

It might as well have been the year 2000 out there for our team. Our young club teams play tournaments around the world throughout the year, but you wouldn't know it by watching this tournament so far.

I think in general we approach the game too rigidly in this country. If players have the freedom to Express themselves, forward moving combinations naturally come. Obviously, there is still room to teach movements, but I think traditionally we are often too hesitant to try things in the final third. That is not a condemnation of this team or any time in particular, just a general observation.

Hypothetically.. if we had “injured” players could we call in Davies for Tuesday?  That would be worth it.. he’s not busy or with the MNT. 

We likely need to beat Panama and it would be cool to actually beat them convincingly and not hang onto a 1-0 lead until we blow it late as we usually do.

7 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Yes we do only way we have a chance of qualifying for this U20 World Cup is if we called in these players or at least a couple of them.

If qualifying for the u20 WC costs us a serious injury to any of Davies, Tabla, David or Millar, then I am fine with not qualifying. We never qualify anyways lol

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think in general we approach the game too rigidly in this country. If players have the freedom to Express themselves, forward moving combinations naturally come. Obviously, there is still room to teach movements, but I think traditionally we are often too hesitant to try things in the final third. That is not a condemnation of this team or any time in particular, just a general observation.

Agreed. "players don't try shit" in this country. Of course there are exceptions, like Tabla and Davies.

Is it any wonder that we don't see youth players breaking into the senior Cdn MLS teams?. I watched the U17 Concacaf team last year (basically a TFC youth team) and now this U20 team and there are very few players with quality. Adonija is clearly the cream of this crop but it is a testament to the lack of development in the 3 CDN MLS academy teams that our youth players who are training and playing daily in an organized and pro academy look ordinary against a youth team from Guadalupe.  How does a guy like Romeo (who I heard was highly rated) look so bad and what's the hype about Verhoeven? Yes the ref was a clown but still.

I missed the game, but judging from the comments, could it be that we just didn't play well? Not every game will go our way. That's why the game is played on the field and not on paper. 

Jamaica and T&T also had close results, right? We're not entitled to steam roll every small island nation. 

This sounded like a good learning experience. I am just happy the lesson didn't cost us the 3 points.

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Is it any wonder that we don't see youth players breaking into the senior Cdn MLS teams?. I watched the U17 Concacaf team last year (basically a TFC youth team) and now this U20 team and there are very few players with quality. Adonija is clearly the cream of this crop but it is a testament to the lack of development in the 3 CDN MLS academy teams that our youth players who are training and playing daily in an organized and pro academy look ordinary against a youth team from Guadalupe.  How does a guy like Romeo (who I heard was highly rated) look so bad and what's the hype about Verhoeven? Yes the ref was a clown but still.

To be fair, as much as I was unimpressed with the team prior to the 3 subs, we have to acknowledge that our 4 best attacking players at this age aren't there.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If qualifying for the u20 WC costs us a serious injury to any of Davies, Tabla, David or Millar, then I am fine with not qualifying. We never qualify anyways lol

That’s the chance any player takes when they step on to the field in any game . I think for a country like Canada to qualify for an U20 World Cup is a win win in so many ways. Players can gain valuable experience, gain confidence, more players can get spotted by scouts. Moreover, it gives Canadian soccer more media exposure in our Country. Moreover , with the talent of some of these players Canada if they were to qualify can even have a chance of getting out of their group and going on a bit of a run you never know with the quality of a Davies a Tabla and a Millar playing in an U 20 World Cup . We have never really had a Davies or even the potential that is a Millar or Tabla so who knows what these guys could do in an U20 World Cup, I think there is much positives to Canada qualifying to an U20 World Cup especially with these players we have. But what the hell do I know I’m just a dumb fan with too much time on my hands.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

To be fair, as much as I was unimpressed with the team prior to the 3 subs, we have to acknowledge that our 4 best attacking players at this age aren't there.

Agreed but we should still be developing better quality baseline players  and I just don't see that. The quality of our youth players with 3 MLS academies should be improving not regressing.

9 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Again, I don't think we need to look at those 4 as saviours. I think that is the wrong approach. I think the guys we have need to figure it out on their own. 

I would rather the team find a solution than depending on any individual player.

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, 1996 said:

That’s the chance any player takes when they step on to the field in any game . I think for a country like Canada to qualify for an U20 World Cup is a win win in so many ways. Players can gain valuable experience, gain confidence, more players can get spotted by scouts. Moreover, it gives Canadian soccer more media exposure in our Country. Moreover , with the talent of some of these players Canada if they were to qualify can even have a chance of getting out of their group and going on a bit of a run you never know with the quality of a Davies a Tabla and a Millar playing in an U 20 World Cup . We have never really had a Davies or even the potential that is a Millar or Tabla so who knows what these guys could do in an U20 World Cup, I think there is much positives to Canada qualifying to an U20 World Cup especially with these players we have. But what the hell do I know I’m just a dumb fan with too much time on my hands.

No, I totally agree with all of that.

I would just prefer that we believed in the players who were called, rather than focusing on the players who weren't. 

I have to think the new CPL will really help develop youth in this country, they will be playing in a professional environment with the clubs wholeheartedly invested in their develpment which is something I question at times from the MLS academies! Of course there have been some quality players coming through the MLS systems but the teams seem to prefer to stock their rosters by the NCAA draft, the CPL should be much different and more youth will get proper opportunities! 

Just now, gator said:

I have to think the new CPL will really help develop youth in this country, they will be playing in a professional environment with the clubs wholeheartedly invested in their develpment which is something I question at times from the MLS academies! Of course there have been some quality players coming through the MLS systems but the teams seem to prefer to stock their rosters by the NCAA draft, the CPL should be much different and more youth will get proper opportunities! 

Agreed. I think we'll see a lot of the MLS academy guys age out and then find a home in the CPL, where they can continue to grow.

I don't think the problem is the way MLS academies develop players. It's a lack of playing opportunities. The CPL will address that, in theory.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. I think we'll see a lot of the MLS academy guys age out and then find a home in the CPL, where they can continue to grow.

I don't think the problem is the way MLS academies develop players. It's a lack of playing opportunities. The CPL will address that, in theory.

I would love to have Baldisimo on Van Isle next season. Even if it's just on a loan.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Each CPL club should have their own academy system, as well.

2 minutes ago, gator said:

It’s stuff like this that makes me wonder why I even bother with these boards sometimes. The MLS teams are not wholeheartedly invested in their academies ? So what you are saying is that they are just throwing money away just to make it look like they are doing something for Canadian players oh ok I see, throwing money away building their academy training centres, throwing away money hiring qualified coaches to coach these players , spending money to send their youth academy teams to tournaments around North America and the World , man those sneaking Canadian MLS academies how could they.?

1 minute ago, 1996 said:

It’s stuff like this that makes me wonder why I even bother with these boards sometimes. The MLS teams are not wholeheartedly invested in their academies ? So what you are saying is that they are just throwing money away just to make it look like they are doing something for Canadian players oh ok I see, throwing money away building their academy training centres, throwing away money hiring qualified coaches to coach these players , spending money to send their youth academy teams to tournaments around North America and the World , man those sneaking Canadian MLS academies how could they.?

If differing opinions bother you so much I do wonder why you bother with this board!

Just now, gator said:

If differing opinions bother you so much I do wonder why you bother with this board!

I don’t mind differing opinions but when someone post something as ridiculous like the MLS academies might not wholeheartedly really care about developing players in their academies, come on really , yes there are differing opinions but then sometimes there is stuff like this really.

5 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I don’t mind differing opinions but when someone post something as ridiculous like the MLS academies might not wholeheartedly really care about developing players in their academies, come on really , yes there are differing opinions but then sometimes there is stuff like this really.

Yeah, look at the money TFC has put into their academy training facility. 

6 minutes ago, 1996 said:

My point is the CPL will be more reliant on youth and developing players than MLS teams are, I do not deny money has been spent by the MLS clubs and good for them, we have our own league now though and it will be very interesting to see how the youth development moves forward! I think a young player with potential may choose the CPL where they will have more of a chance of playing in a professional league as opposed to hanging in a MLS academy where teams sign players from all over the world to fill their first team roster! That's just my opinion and you are welcome to disagree but you tend to not respect opinions of others if it strays from your TFCcentric narrative!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I missed the game, but judging from the comments, could it be that we just didn't play well? Not every game will go our way. That's why the game is played on the field and not on paper. 

Jamaica and T&T also had close results, right? We're not entitled to steam roll every small island nation. 

This sounded like a good learning experience. I am just happy the lesson didn't cost us the 3 points.

Didn't play well but still got the 3 points. That is a positive of which there were a few. We started off well but got caught out with the changed backline and less physical midfield being pulled apart a bit by the pace and physicality of the Guadeloupe players. Their Goalkeeper also had a fantastic game. 

Verhoeven has skill but bad decision making, he was a bit too flashy and gave up possession when easier options were available. Peruzza too was a bit quiet and disappointing but I thought Choinière, , Hernández and Bayiha, Mohammed worked hard and  played ok coming forward, the latter was often caught wanting on the defensive end. 

Edited by toontownman

1 minute ago, gator said:

My point is the CPL will be more reliant on youth and developing players than MLS teams are, I do not deny money has been spent by the MLS clubs and good for them, we have our own league now though and it will be very interesting to see how the youth development moves forward! I think a young player with potential may choose the CPL where they will have more of a chance of playing in a professional league as opposed to hanging in a MLS academy where teams sign players from all over the world to fill their first team roster! That's just my opinion and you are welcome to disagree but you tend to not respect opinions of others if it strays from your TFCcentric narrative!

The only problem I had was with your post was your “wholeheartedly “ comment , which made it seem like the Canadian MLS teams don’t really care about developing Canadian players with their academies. Moreover , the CPL will be a league where it will be a lot easier because of the level of play and due to the fact that each team will have a limit of how many foreign players it can play thus opening the door to more Canadians playing which is good for Canadian development . The CPL level of play in the first few years wil most likely not be that much higher than the USL where a good portion of this U20 team’s players are currently playing . Hopefully if the CPL sticks around and grows it should improve to a level above USL which will be even better for our Csnadian players. In the end it’s all good and hopefully with the 3 MLS teams and the added CPL teams Canada might develop into a country that should not have a problem qualifying for U20 World Cups and the regular World Cup. I’ll continue following my TFC and the other Canadian MLS team even continue watching non Canadian MLS team on TV when I can and also watching and following the new CPL too , I’m allowed to support both right or is that forbidden for a true Canadian soccer fan lol, it’s all good for me the more soccer the better it’s really the only sport I really follow.