Jump to content
Ansem

FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

Recommended Posts

Just looked at the wikipedia page for one of the international trialists, Giannis Charontakis and there's a pretty hilarious edited line in it, no doubt from a bitter supporter or ex-teammate. It's even bolded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giannis_Charontakis

"He was the worst player that ever played in Veria, but he always was in the starting eleven, because his grandfather was sponsoring the team." 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Toje said:

What about Scott Kennedy who is a CB who is playing for Klagenfurt in the Austrian 2nd tier?  He was born and raised in Calgary.  I have no idea when his contract expires. He has built a career in Europe starting in the German 6th tier, so I guess it depends how badly a player wants to go back to Canada.

- John Dinkota is playing in the French 4th tier.

- There are a number of centre backs who are playing in the lower tiers in Germany and Sweden.

I've mentioned Andrew Lebre who was in Spain 4th tier, now in Cyprus 3rd but on a good team (big stadium), from following him here and then seeing a few highlights, he seems very good, he has strong anticipation, has clean passing skills, his teams never gave up a lot of goals, he also got forward and scored occasionally. He is physically quite tall and good in the air. I think he is just 20, this is effectively his 3rd pro season.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've mentioned Andrew Lebre who was in Spain 4th tier, now in Cyprus 3rd but on a good team (big stadium), from following him here and then seeing a few highlights, he seems very good, he has strong anticipation, has clean passing skills, his teams never gave up a lot of goals, he also got forward and scored occasionally. He is physically quite tall and good in the air. I think he is just 20, this is effectively his 3rd pro season.

Could be a possibility but Paulus said this player was going to join in July and Labre's contract is up May 31, so it seems odd he wouldn't join FCE till a month later. Also I'm not sure he fits the "key player" descriptor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think Kennedy could be a possibility but Paulus said "He'll be a key player for us" so I'm not sure if some of lower level guys fit that description.

Austrian 2nd tier is not exactly a really low level especially in terms of the CPL.  I assume playing in the CPL would also be a pay cut from the Austrian 2nd tier as well.  A few years ago the average was 2-3000 euros a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Toje said:

Austrian 2nd tier is not exactly a really low level especially in terms of the CPL.  I assume playing in the CPL would also be a pay cut from the Austrian 2nd tier as well.  A few years ago the average was 2-3000 euros a month.

Fair enough, I've never seen Kennedy play. I just assumed when Paulus mentioned "key player" it would be close to the higher end of player quality we've seen across the league, not sure if Kennedy is in that range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Could be a possibility but Paulus said this player was going to join in July and Labre's contract is up May 31, so it seems odd he wouldn't join FCE till a month later. Also I'm not sure he fits the "key player" descriptor.

I'm actually not talking about who "it" is, I am just saying that I liked what I could gather about this kid, I think he's a good prospect. My two cents about keeping people thinking about possible players.

I watch a lot of lower tier Spain, and you don't see that many 20 year olds playing at 4th tier,  or even 5th tier, and less so at CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

If he is out of contract in May why would he have to wait for July?

Because was had a contract with another club when the previous window closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, RS said:

Because was had a contract with another club when the previous window closed.

Odd.

Seems like everything is pointing to Straith then.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://canpl.ca/article/whitecaps-u23-to-visit-alberta-well-be-fighting-for-our-lives

...Four trialists vying for what Paulus said is one final roster spot on the team, are all supposed to see action.

Those four are Canadians Jackson Farmer and Jordan Haynes, Greek defender Giannis Charontakis, and French player Jerrold Nyemeck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Farmer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Haynes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giannis_Charontakis

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jerrold-nyemeck/profil/spieler/290573

All four look like they might be better options than some of the players they already signed, so maybe it would have been better for them to go through the roster building process more slowly like some of the other teams did?

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

https://canpl.ca/article/whitecaps-u23-to-visit-alberta-well-be-fighting-for-our-lives

...Four trialists vying for what Paulus said is one final roster spot on the team, are all supposed to see action.

Those four are Canadians Jackson Farmer and Jordan Haynes, Greek defender Giannis Charontakis, and French player Jerrold Nyemeck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Farmer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Haynes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giannis_Charontakis

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jerrold-nyemeck/profil/spieler/290573

All four look like they might be better options than some of the players they already signed, so maybe it would have been better for them to go through the roster building process more slowly like some of the other teams did?

It is weird the way some of these rosters have panned out. A lot of players still available who you would have thought would have been immediately signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

It is weird the way some of these rosters have panned out. A lot of players still available who you would have thought would have been immediately signed.

Could be that some players overvalued themselves and were holding out for more money, and at this point they risk not getting a spot. I had kinda thought that maybe Irving had done that and then ended up having to sign as Ottawa's back up keeper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, matty said:

That's great news! Does anybody know the season tickets sold for each year in the NASL for Edmonton? The quote says "The club has already doubled season tickets sold from previous years in the NASL." So that doesn't necessarily mean their 2017 season ticket total. It could be doubling their lowest season ticket total. How much variance did they have each year? I feel like it wasn't that much but I don't think I've actually seen numbers.

It would be good to get a sense of what their actual season tickets sold number is right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kent said:

That's great news! Does anybody know the season tickets sold for each year in the NASL for Edmonton? The quote says "The club has already doubled season tickets sold from previous years in the NASL." So that doesn't necessarily mean their 2017 season ticket total. It could be doubling their lowest season ticket total. How much variance did they have each year? I feel like it wasn't that much but I don't think I've actually seen numbers.

It would be good to get a sense of what their actual season tickets sold number is right now.

My interpretation is that it has to be double the highest year. The quote refers to all the years in the NASL so in order for it to be true it has to be double the season tickets in any of those years. I have no solid proof but I believe they had about 1500-1750 season ticket holders so that would put them at 3000-3500. That would makes sense considering what we've heard from other clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I believe Edmonton had “around 2000” seasons tickets their final season. Which I interpret to be high teens 1700-2000. That amount was double what they had in any previous seasons. Originally they had under 1000. There was quite a turnaround when Jay Ball came in. I would put them in the 3000s now. Considering he capacity of Clarke that is a great amount for this time. Remember that their highest average attendance was in the 3500 range. 

Edited by BenFisk'sBiggestFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think this was posted, about Ramon Soria being a sports lawyer, and why he wanted to come to Edmonton:

https://canpl.ca/article/law-and-order-sorias-smarts-evident-on-and-off-the-pitch

He has a law degree from the University of Castilla-La Mancha, in Albacete, and a Masters in Sports Law from Valencia. I am quite surprised, it is not easy to finish degrees as a pro footballer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't think this was posted, about Ramon Soria being a sports lawyer, and why he wanted to come to Edmonton:

https://canpl.ca/article/law-and-order-sorias-smarts-evident-on-and-off-the-pitch

He has a law degree from the University of Castilla-La Mancha, in Albacete, and a Masters in Sports Law from Valencia. I am quite surprised, it is not easy to finish degrees as a pro footballer.

Reminds me of one of my all time favourite Wolves player, Seyi Olofinjana, obtaining a masters of engineering as a player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pron gonna drive to Edmonton for the Home opener.  Is Edmonton planning on doing anything other than a pre-game party that day?  I think I plan on driving up there Saturday so I can take in activities before the game.  Ill prob ask the Edmonton supporters group as well if they have anything planned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2019 at 8:46 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't think this was posted, about Ramon Soria being a sports lawyer, and why he wanted to come to Edmonton:

https://canpl.ca/article/law-and-order-sorias-smarts-evident-on-and-off-the-pitch

He has a law degree from the University of Castilla-La Mancha, in Albacete, and a Masters in Sports Law from Valencia. I am quite surprised, it is not easy to finish degrees as a pro footballer.

The Brazilian Socrates, also had a masters or a Phd, if I remember correctly (no not in Philosophy)  

Edit: Just checked, it was a Medical Degree.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...