Talking to people about CanPL 101

Admin

We really need to develop a "How to" for people like us talking to people like 'them'.  

The question is, what is the most productive language we can use when talking to people about this league.  

I was reminded yesterday how far we still have to go.

Yeah I grasp with this when talking to people here about it.  Trying to educate/inform but not trying to scare them off with my enthusiasm lol.  I find it difficult because there's differences in explaining it between soccer fans who lean European, soccer fans of MLS and then sports fans in general.  I never get any bad responses when talking about it to footy friends but it's usually more of an "interesting" than excited.

This would be ideal. I can help out with any French translation, but have very little to contribute on my own. 

Living in between Ottawa and Montréal, we already have fans of MLS/USL. I haven't talked to colleagues that see Hamilton or Saskatoon as a better potential rival than Puerto Rico. They're used to American rivals. 

13 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Yeah I grasp with this when talking to people here about it.  Trying to educate/inform but not trying to scare them off with my enthusiasm lol.  I find it difficult because there's differences in explaining it between soccer fans who lean European, soccer fans of MLS and then sports fans in general.  I never get any bad responses when talking about it to footy friends but it's usually more of an "interesting" than excited.

I currently see, four different types of 'them'.  

1. People who should, by virtue of their supposed love for the game, their involvement in the soccer community be a shoe in for supporting a new local team in their neighborhood.  But they aren't. The soccer coach, referee, avid fans of foreign teams ect...
  2. Community regulars.  People connected to the community but only have one foot in the door.  Players, parents, club administrators.
  3. Regular Sports Joe's.  
  4. Non sports people finding something new.  There is a surprising number of these people in MLS supporters groups and The Voyageurs.

I don't normally push it too much with non-sports friends.  Down here it's hard enough to get fans into Canadian footy stuff as the best of times.  The lack of a prospect of a local CPL team anytime soon doesn't help.  Not complaining though, know this is a long term battle 

59 minutes ago, admin said:

We really need to develop a "How to" for people like us talking to people like 'them'.  

The question is, what is the most productive language we can use when talking to people about this league.  

I was reminded yesterday how far we still have to go.

I'm already on both Montreal Impact supporters facebook pages (932 members) and another one I've found in Quebec with 195 members. I've engaged them in French and been posting all CPL news and answering their questions in French. I've changed their overall perception of the league as at first, they either never heard of it or didn't think much of it.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I'm already on both Montreal Impact supporters facebook pages (932 members) and another one I've found in Quebec with 195 members. I've engaged them in French and been posting all CPL news and answering their questions in French. I've changed their overall perception of the league as at first, they either never heard of it or didn't think much of it.

I think a Quebec city team would get many people on board. 

2 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

I think a Quebec city team would get many people on board. 

Agreed it's a big factor here and I assume most places.  The hardcore Premier League fans were really excited when Detroit was a possibility for MLS expansion.  If there was something here CPL I'm sure a lot of the people I know would be all in.

I've tend to introduce it as "a new league being launched by some CFL owners and others that will be our own top of the pyramid" if they are already soccer fans and understand the context

The CFL owner bit is slightly misleading but it's a casual shorthand for "big enough money to do this properly", since most people seem to initially assume it will be a fly by night operation 

Most general soccer fans/rec players seem fairly interested and you can let their questions lead the conversation. 

On 6/6/2018 at 5:46 AM, ChrisinOrleans said:

This would be ideal. I can help out with any French translation, but have very little to contribute on my own. 

Living in between Ottawa and Montréal, we already have fans of MLS/USL. I haven't talked to colleagues that see Hamilton or Saskatoon as a better potential rival than Puerto Rico. They're used to American rivals. 

Maybe it's due to the french thing, but I feel like you guys are the exception.  It was damn near impossible to talk to people about Ft lauterdale and Jacksonville when FC Edmonton was in NASL, but the prospect of Edm vs Cgy has even casual sports fans somewhat interested.

In terms of how to describe it - I said this the other day and it seemed fair.  "It's not a farm league but it'll likely be a bit below MLS in terms of quality simply due to the fact that some markets are smaller"

I know there is MLS hate but people do somewhat respect it and this is a believable and more or less true statement.

On 6/6/2018 at 7:27 PM, CDNFootballer said:

I describe the Canadian Premier League to people as Canada's Division 1 top tier league for the sport, and a league model based more on most of the worlds football/soccer league's and not the USA's weird single entity setup.

This is great description, the only thing I would hold back on is the attack on single entity. Many Canadians will feel a lot of attachment to the single entity setup through being a fan on NHL, MLB, NBA or NFL and may feel some personal attachment to these leagues and their format.

Archived