Best XI

Addona

Oh man, I think people are gonna HATE my lineup lol.

This is very tough because although formation is set out like this, there is a lot of changes in formation and roles during the game so it's actually difficult to say what the true formation is. So keeping that  in mind, if they continue to play this way, I think this is what they should do.

--------------------Crepeau

Johnston ----- Kennedy/Vitoria ----- Miller/Kennedy

Laryea/Tajon ----------Eustaqiuo  -----------Davies

-------------Atiba----------Osorio------------

-------------Hoilett---------David------------

Crepeau - We always complain about Borjan making some strange mistakes. This is something you put up with if you don't have any other options. But we do. I know his experience can be important and all that but I felt a lot more comfortable seeing Crepeau coming out of crosses than Borjan, or when the ball is at his feet etc. I won't lose sleep if Borjan starts, but I would rather take my chance on a gk without a long history of comical mistakes. Side note, no way do I think Crepeau will start however.

Kennedy - This is really hard because we don't know how well he'll match up in these games. Skipping the gold cup hurt him imo. I can't figure out if he should be in the middle or left side or start at all at this point. We still don't have a full understanding, despite him looking promising.

Osorio/Arfield situation - I think Osorio gets overlooked at times. He loves to show up in these big games. He's a tough competitor. I'm not selecting Arfield because honestly I don't think he's on the same mindset as some of these players. We had a German, French, Turkish champions show up against minnows, building a relationship with the squad, fighting for the badge. While Arfield, the "captain", was too good for that. That's a terrible mindset for a captain and his constant rejection as of late has left a bad impression. Who the hell also knows what Hoilett meant on his twitter about Arfield. There's a new brotherhood relationship on this team and Arfield looks disinterested in it. I'd be more than willing to change this mind if he changes his attitude.

Hoilett/Larin situation - Larin always gets mentioned as the top 3. Personally don't see it that way. The thing is, I think Larin and David situation isn't a must have. I think David would strive better with Hoilett's delivery and superior knowledge. David likes to make runs that I just don't think Larin will be able to make use of. Really impressed with Junior's new role here. Again, having a good player off the bench is a very good thing. Sometimes it's about style and chemistry and not about the name however. In this case, I think it's better this way.

Tajon/Laryea - this is based on who we're playing against and where the game is held. Situational starts. Again, sucks that someone has to be benched but just saying that means it's a very good situation to be in.

4 hours ago, archer21 said:

It seems like we’ve mostly settle on playing 3 at the back and then switching to 4 at the back if we need a goal. We just seem so much more threatening with Buchanan further up the field though. I feel like having Davies, David, Buchanan as our front 3 from the start would just be so terrifying for our opposition. 

I hadn't thought of it quite like that, I felt we'd be kinda top-heavy and take away our balance and midfield.  However after looking at it for a bit, it's definitely worth a shot, it sounds and looks utterly terrifying.....

Davies - David - Buchanan

Laryea - Hutch - Eustaquio - ZBG

Miller - Kennedy - Johnston

Crepeau

4 hours ago, archer21 said:

It seems like we’ve mostly settle on playing 3 at the back and then switching to 4 at the back if we need a goal. We just seem so much more threatening with Buchanan further up the field though. I feel like having Davies, David, Buchanan as our front 3 from the start would just be so terrifying for our opposition. 

I hadn't thought of it quite like that, I felt we'd be kinda top-heavy and take away our balance and midfield.  However after looking at it for a bit, it's definitely worth a shot, it sounds and looks utterly terrifying.....

Davies - David - Buchanan

Laryea - Hutch - Eustaquio - ZBG

Miller - Kennedy - Johnston

Crepeau

I think too many of these lineups are too much offense and not enough defense.  Having both tajon and Davies as your wingbacks when your down a goal is great but I don't know if we'd want to start the game like that.

I think one of the problems we have now is that I don't know if you can fit larin, David, tajon, and Davies on all at the same time unless you are playing a 442 type and use tajon and Davies as outside mids.  But then you lose a cm.

Canada formations.png

This is what I'm expecting depending on the formation Herdman goes with if he wants his "best XI" which again I don't think happens because he needs to spread minutes around and keep bodies healthy and fresh.

I also don't think we're going to play a 4-3-3 anymore because we have too many good FWs to only play with one. I still think 3-5-2 with Davies is the way to go. I don't love the 4-4-2 on a full strength Canada because we have too many good MFs to only use 2 and while the 4-4-2 worked against Mexico to an extent it also forced us to go wide because Eustaquio got overrun in the midfield. Against better teams 2 bodies in the middle can bite us in the ass.

Edited by VinceA

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Canada formations.png

This is what I'm expecting depending on the formation Herdman goes with if he wants his "best XI" which again I don't think happens because he needs to spread minutes around and keep bodies healthy and fresh.

I also don't think we're going to play a 4-3-3 anymore because we have too many good FWs to only play with one. I still think 3-5-2 with Davies is the way to go. I don't love the 4-4-2 on a full strength Canada because we have too many good MFs to only use 2 and while the 4-4-2 worked against Mexico to an extent it also forced us to go wide because Eustaquio got overrun in the midfield. Against better teams 2 bodies in the middle can bite us in the ass.

I think if we run 4-4-2 it’s often a diamond or box in midfield, like in the USA at BMO game. I’d have to watch again but considering the personnel, didn’t we play with 4 CM’s? Hoilett, Oso, Eustaquio, Kaye, I don’t think we played with actual wide midfielders/wingers. Which is obviously a bit of a downside of the formation because we have very strong wingers. It does allow us to put a guy like Davies or Buchanan at striker though.

27 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I think if we run 4-4-2 it’s often a diamond or box in midfield, like in the USA at BMO game. I’d have to watch again but considering the personnel, didn’t we play with 4 CM’s? Hoilett, Oso, Eustaquio, Kaye, I don’t think we played with actual wide midfielders/wingers. Which is obviously a bit of a downside of the formation because we have very strong wingers. It does allow us to put a guy like Davies or Buchanan at striker though.

That game I think was a 4-2-2-2 Christmas tree.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

That game I think was a 4-2-2-2 Christmas tree.

The christmas tree is a 4-3-2-1.  

FWD

FWD       FWD 

MF         MF          MF 

LB         CB          CB         RB 

GK

Edited by Free kick

-----Buchanan---David

---------Osorio---Kaye

Davies-----Eustaquio-----Laryea

---Kennedy--Vitoria--Johnston

-------------Borjan (c)

Subs (12-16): Cavallini, Larin, Hoilett, Hutchinson, Piette

Unused Bench (17-23): Millar, Corbeanu, Wotherspoon, Adekugbe, Miller, Crepeau, St. Clair

Squad Players (24-30): Akindele, Jebbison, Fraser, Gutierrez, Brault-Guillard, Henry, Sturing

I think the exact formation will depend on the circumstances but generally:

Davies—David—Buchanan 

Kaye-Estaquio-Hutchinson

Laryea—Miller—Vitoria—Johnson

—————Crepeau—————-

random thoughts:

- Sometimes we’ll need a target man in the middle and the natural choice is Cav. I do not like Larin in this role. He’s much better as a support striker or wide forward. 
- Midfield is the tricky thing to balance. Not sure we’ve found the right combination of players as yet and we should stop calling Fraser. There’s no justification for his current inclusion based on club form or national team form. No brainer to select Baldisimo first, maybe others too.
- You need Vitoria or similar out there. Miller / Kennedy / etc… not suited for playing in the middle of a back three. In a back four you need to stick them next to a taller partner. Vitoria is not a world beater but he had a reasonable gold cup, can distribute the ball well, and can compete for headers in the air.
- Borjan has far too many blunders. Has to be Crepeau 

15 hours ago, VinceA said:

Canada formations.png

Your 2nd suggestion is IMO our best. 

We have to put our best talent with most critical match experience at the highest level on the field. 

4-5 of the guys at the GC. The rest, from our A team. 

Edit: if Tomori, then there's always room for Tomori. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Some of these lineups are effectively choosing Laryea over Larin which is insane to me. I think there's some recency bias at play here, where Larin wasn't part of our semifinal run so he can be excluded. He absolutely starts if he's available.

I agree he's an inside forward and not a 9, but either way, we're a better team with him on the pitch.

Edited by PiedPilko

Our current best 11 is in a 3-5-2

Larin.   David.  
Davies.  Osorio.  Buchanan.  
          Eustaquio.   Kaye.  
Kennedy.   Vitoria.    Johnson.  
                  Borjan.  

This starting 11 is good enough I think to rival any in CONCACAF.

If Hutch is healthy and playing the way he did last season at Besiktas, there is no way he does not start for us in  "key" games. His experience and ability on both sides of the ball is not replaceable. Are there any defenders in Concacaf that can stop Davies and Tajon 1v1 or a forward line combo of Davies/David/Tajon or Larin? I would be very tempted to  release Davies and Tajon from defensive duties and just let them go full out attack with David playing behind them like he did at Gent.  

15 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If Hutch is healthy and playing the way he did last season at Besiktas, there is no way he does not start for us in  "key" games. His experience and ability on both sides of the ball is not replaceable. 

I mean almost all these games will be key and I guarantee Hutch won’t be starting in all or even most of them.

to me - a best case scenario over a window (3 matches in 7 days) would be he starts in one of the matches and is available as a sub in another. So for example in that first window - maybe he starts against Honduras and is available as a sub against El Salvador and sits out the US. I don’t think we can ask more from him.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Our current best 11 is in a 3-5-2

Larin.   David.  
Davies.  Osorio.  Buchanan.  
          Eustaquio.   Kaye.  
Kennedy.   Vitoria.    Johnson.  
                  Borjan.  

This starting 11 is good enough I think to rival any in CONCACAF.

How can Kaye be in our starting 11 if he didn't have a single excellent 90 minutes in the entire Gold Cup? Including vs 2 teams too weak for the Octo? 

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How can Kaye be in our starting 11 if he didn't have a single excellent 90 minutes in the entire Gold Cup? Including vs 2 teams too weak for the Octo? 

Without MAKs vision and passing, we don't score against Mexico.  That was a world class assist to Tajon. Kaye is first to sit if Hutchinson or Arfield are available, otherwise I think he did enough to earn a place in our 11 in September. 

The Gold Cup was not an ideal tournament, but it did give our players the chance to mesh, see and hear JH's ideas, and give them a test. Beating Costa Rica was a fine and encouraging result. This also gave the coaching staff a chance to see and consider possible starters and bench guys for WCQ. Who, from the "B" squad has made enough of an impression to be included in the "A" roster in September? As for Kaye or any other potential starters, their form in the next month will influence decisions. If any player is  playing well enough, he will be in the squad.  If not, he will not. The really positive part is that there are about six top players who will almost certainly be in the squad in September, and six "lesser"players will not be there. Managing depth is now included in JH's list of tasks and creating a strong bench is crucial. 

Edited by Stoppage Time
Typo

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I struggle with this question. Beyond eustaquio and Hutchinson, who is the best midfielder and what do we need his job description to be? 

I think we need MAK’s ability to provide those balls into the final third and break the lines, while still offing something defensively. Osorio good connector but rarely provides the final ball. Arfield doesn’t track back with great enthusiasm. Wotherspoon maybe a possibility but haven’t seen enough to be sure.

3 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Some of these lineups are effectively choosing Laryea over Larin which is insane to me. I think there's some regency bias at play here, where Larin wasn't part of our semifinal run so he can be excluded. He absolutely starts if he's available.

I agree he's an inside forward and not a 9, but either way, we're a better team with him on the pitch.

At a certain point, we have to address the practicality of creating a balanced first 11. 

Laryea tracks back and is counted on to defend extensively, Larin is primarily an attacker who is given a light amount of defensive responsibility.  We stuff too many attacking options up top and all of a sudden our best player is spending his time trying to defend Segino Dest rather than sitting in the positions on the field that make him the most valuable to our team.

I’ll go with the approach of using some of this forward depth from the subs bench. Nothing wrong with that IMO.