Best XI

Addona

23 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

We’ve finally reached the point that we will fielding a strong starting XI even with squad rotation. 

In almost every position, we can debate as to who should start.

Borjan or Crepeau?

Miller or Kennedy?

other than Eustaquio, who starts in the midfield?

And the debate goes on.

its a great time for our team.

It’s a great feeling to debate this.  If everyone is available/committed this is what I’m going with if you’re going off skill/ability and recent play

Larin

David

Davies      Kaye Eustaqiuo Arfield  Buchanan

Miller       Vitoria     Kennedy 

Crepeau

-this tournament showed to me the guys play better in front of Crepeau instead of Borjan.  Not having a goalie barking at you all game goes a long way 

-I know some would say Kennedy out of position, but I want my best back 3

-I find Kaye’s awareness of where others are on the field and his ability to find them is indispensable now.  I’m putting him over Hutchinson and Osorio.  

-if Arfield is here, he starts.  It’s not about egos.  There will be games where he can sit and be a good addition to the line up in the second half 

-Larin, Davies, Eustaqiuo, Buchanan and David, yeah, well..

I’m of the mindset too that this shouldn’t be the line up every game.  It’s important to rest guys but also involve others so they feel like they have a role.  I think that was big for Hoilett in the gold cup because he had a defined role for the first time in a couple years 

Edited by EJsens1

I personally think our best 3 midfielders are Eustaqiuo, Arfield and Atiba but I'm not sure if that would be our best midfield combination, Kaye and Osorio have lots to offer and in the WCQ matches will no doubt be counted on, this Gold Cup gave JH a chance to see what combos worked without Arfield and Atiba in the mix which is good going forward because we don't know about their availability!

Let's say this was the playoff game to make it to the World Cup and everyone was fit and healthy:

David    Larin

Arfield 

Davies    Eustaquio Hutchinson  Buchanan

Miller         Kennedy    Johnston

Borjan

3 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Let's say this was the playoff game to make it to the World Cup and everyone was fit and healthy:

David    Larin

Arfield 

Davies    Eustaquio Hutchinson  Buchanan

Miller         Kennedy    Johnston

Borjan

I agree completely with this lineup although I would be okay with Vitoria instead of Kennedy or have Kennedy move out for Miller.  David, Davies, Larin, Buchanan, Johnston and Eustaquio are sure starters for me.  I would say that at least one of Atiba or Arfield will be a starter.  These are our best midfielders but it will also be interesting to see how Herdman integrates our midfield trio going forward.  Expect a lot of rotation.  Borjan still my number 1 but very happy with Crepeau as well.

This has become very hard because our depth has improved and we are tactically flexible. Here are a few thoughts:

• Up front and out wide are settled.
  • David, Larin, Davies and Buchanan will all start, regardless of how we line up. 
  • Hoilett, Cavallini, Laryea, Corbeanu and Millar are next up. Akinola (when healthy) and Jebbison (when committed) can be part of the core rotation.
  • Akindele gave a good account of himself. Still outside of the core rotation but Herdman won’t be afraid to use him.
  • Midfield is Eustáquio and everyone else. Fraser now in the rotation.
  • Kennedy may be shifted to middle as Vitoria and Henry phase out. Until then him and Miller compete on the left. Still Johnston’s to lose on the right.
  • Still don’t like two left footed CBs in a back 4, but if/when Vitoria/Henry move on we need someone to step up. That is a topic for next cycle though.
Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

This has become very hard because our depth has improved and we are tactically flexible. Here are a few thoughts:

• Up front and out wide are settled.
  • David, Larin, Davies and Buchanan will all start, regardless of how we line up. 
  • Hoilett, Cavallini, Corbeanu and Millar are next up. Akinola (when healthy) and Jebbison (when committed) can be part of the core rotation.
  • Akindele gave a good account of himself. Still outside of the core rotation but Herdman won’t be afraid to use him.
  • Midfield is Eustáquio and everyone else. Fraser now in the rotation.
  • Kennedy may be shifted to middle as Vitoria and Henry phase out. Until then him and Miller compete on the left. Still Johnston’s to lose on the right.
  • Still don’t like two left footed CBs in a back 4, but if/when Vitoria/Henry move on we need someone to step up. That is a topic for next cycle though.

I would expect this will be Vitoria's last stretch for Canada.  Whether we make Qatar or not.  He will be a month away from 36 when the Qatar World Cup starts.  You never know as some players retire from international same as club but most want to prolong their club careers.  I suspect the same goes for Atiba & Arfield (assuming he shows this cycle).  Hutchinson will be almost 40 and Arfield will be 34 during Qatar.  Hopefully we can give them a nice international send off with a World Cup appearance.

14 minutes ago, gator said:

I personally think our best 3 midfielders are Eustaqiuo, Arfield and Atiba but I'm not sure if that would be our best midfield combination, Kaye and Osorio have lots to offer and in the WCQ matches will no doubt be counted on, this Gold Cup gave JH a chance to see what combos worked without Arfield and Atiba in the mix which is good going forward because we don't know about their availability!

Honestly, given their quality, I still probably start Eustaquio, Hutch and Arfield in a midfield 3 if everyone is available and healthy.  Eustaquio is now the undisputed starter that sits in front of the defence.  Hutch can either join him as another CDM in a double pivot or play a bit more forward and feed the attack as we often saw with Besiktas.  Arfield completes the trio as the attacker.   

The only caveat is that Arfield needs to continue playing for us at the same level as in previous years.  Both he and Atiba seem to be assessing things year by year but Arfield seems like he may be feeling it a bit more (just my impression).  If the years start catching up with either of them in a way that impacts what they can bring to the team, the starting order could change pretty quickly in midfield.  

45 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

It’s a great feeling to debate this.  If everyone is available/committed this is what I’m going with if you’re going off skill/ability and recent play

Larin

David

Davies      Kaye Eustaqiuo Arfield  Buchanan

Miller       Vitoria     Kennedy 

Crepeau

-this tournament showed to me the guys play better in front of Crepeau instead of Borjan.  Not having a goalie barking at you all game goes a long way 

-I know some would say Kennedy out of position, but I want my best back 3

-I find Kaye’s awareness of where others are on the field and his ability to find them is indispensable now.  I’m putting him over Hutchinson and Osorio.  

-if Arfield is here, he starts.  It’s not about egos.  There will be games where he can sit and be a good addition to the line up in the second half 

-Larin, Davies, Eustaqiuo, Buchanan and David, yeah, well..

I’m of the mindset too that this shouldn’t be the line up every game.  It’s important to rest guys but also involve others so they feel like they have a role.  I think that was big for Hoilett in the gold cup because he had a defined role for the first time in a couple years 

Kennedy played a bit of RCB for Regensburg, and they were his worst games of the season. He'd be a good option in the middle with his aerial ability though.

I'll show you mine:

David   Larin

Arfield 

Davies  Eustaquio  Hutchinson  Buchanan

Miller Kennedy Johnston

Crepeau

Tried really hard to find a spot for Hoilett, perhaps i'd put him in for Arfield or Larin depending on the day.  He just played so well this tournament, he brings something different that the others guys just don't have.

Not sure if having Hutch at the 10 for us is controversial, but when he plays there for Besiktas he looks really good, and with us not having a true 10, why not out the 🐙 there?

I also like this 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 as it allows us to have the majority of our strongest players on the pitch. Excited to see who emerges over the next year of WCQ

8BD10C80-F20E-4EED-A287-0176276DEB7B.jpeg

DAB892F3-68D8-4542-8EB6-92E0715728B9.jpeg

31 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Not sure if having Hutch at the 10 for us is controversial, but when he plays there for Besiktas he looks really good, and with us not having a true 10, why not out the 🐙 there?

I also like this 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 as it allows us to have the majority of our strongest players on the pitch. Excited to see who emerges over the next year of WCQ

8BD10C80-F20E-4EED-A287-0176276DEB7B.jpeg

DAB892F3-68D8-4542-8EB6-92E0715728B9.jpeg

These look great. I’ve been a major proponent of Kennedy ever since the qualifiers (played very well, very clean, strong, intelligent) but Miller really did have some fantastic performances against tough opposition. I still think I go with Kennedy but Miller is right there competing for that spot. Great problem to have. We finally have quality depth and not just some warm bodies waiting to fill in. 

It seems like we’ve mostly settle on playing 3 at the back and then switching to 4 at the back if we need a goal. We just seem so much more threatening with Buchanan further up the field though. I feel like having Davies, David, Buchanan as our front 3 from the start would just be so terrifying for our opposition. 

25 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

These look great. I’ve been a major proponent of Kennedy ever since the qualifiers (played very well, very clean, strong, intelligent) but Miller really did have some fantastic performances against tough opposition. I still think I go with Kennedy but Miller is right there competing for that spot. Great problem to have. We finally have quality depth and not just some warm bodies waiting to fill in. 

Isn't it nice to have 2 central defenders that have shown really well that we have to choose from?! It wasn't that long ago that we just needed someone with a pulse to fill in.

I see Buchanan replacing Laryea on a lot of lineups, but maybe they play different roles.  Yesterday the game turned when Buchanan moved up to a forward position, with Laryea behind him.  Laryea, I think we can agree is a better, more experienced defender.  Perhaps we save Buchanan to come off the bench to slot directly into our front 2 or 3.

12 minutes ago, archer21 said:

It seems like we’ve mostly settle on playing 3 at the back and then switching to 4 at the back if we need a goal. We just seem so much more threatening with Buchanan further up the field though. I feel like having Davies, David, Buchanan as our front 3 from the start would just be so terrifying for our opposition. 

I thought JH in the post game presser vs USA and Mexico said that after 25 mins (USA) and half time (Mexico) he went with a more 4-4-2 set up. Can anyone confirm this please?

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I thought JH in the post game presser vs USA and Mexico said that after 25 mins (USA) and half time (Mexico) he went with a more 4-4-2 set up. Can anyone confirm this please?

I don’t remember exactly for the USA game but that seems right, I remember it being mentioned that we moved to 4 at the back. We definitely did last night after halftime, as Buchanan moved from wingback to striker with Akindele. Then I believe it became a 4-3-3 when Corbeanu came in (with Hoilett as a false 9/striker and Buchanan on the left)

4 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I don’t remember exactly for the USA game but that seems right, I remember it being mentioned that we moved to 4 at the back. We definitely did last night after halftime, as Buchanan moved from wingback to striker with Akindele. Then I believe it became a 4-3-3 when Corbeanu came in (with Hoilett as a false 9/striker and Buchanan on the left)

So that does seem to indicate that we perform better vs the stronger teams (USA & Mexico) with 4 at the back in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 vs 3-5-2.  Over to the 3-5-2 proponents...take your shot 

17 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

So that does seem to indicate that we perform better vs the stronger teams (USA & Mexico) with 4 at the back in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 vs 3-5-2.  Over to the 3-5-2 proponents...take your shot 

I think for this tournament, 4 at the back was probably our best lineup. I’d like to see us change it up a bit from game to game, because I do see some value in the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 but like I said, would love Davies and Buchanan high up the pitch. Supposedly before Davies got hurt, Davies and Buchanan were both on the left in a 3-4-3 which sounds interesting as well.

So many options now that form will certainly play a role. I don't know if I've always felt that way in the past, but now many of these starting XIs look really strong. We suddenly have a bunch of players that create chances individually, but we also have the ability to unlock teams. I'm uncomfortably optimistic. 

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

So many options now that form will certainly play a role. I don't know if I've always felt that way in the past, but now many of these starting XIs look really strong. We suddenly have a bunch of players that create chances individually, but we also have the ability to unlock teams. I'm uncomfortably optimistic. 

Yes, this Gold Cup afforded us the opportunity to have a good look at players who may not have been starters in many 11's, some will be tough to keep out but with so many matches in a short period of time we are in a better spot squad wise, "uncomfortably optimistic" is how many of us long suffering supporters feel!