Best XI

Addona

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Herdman said that he'll play Davies at LB against teams who will bunker. The main reason is to give him space to attack, as he's best when he has the field in front of him to run at players.

I would be shocked if he played LB against Mexico based on this. It will probably be Kaye.

Against Cuba and Martinique, he'll probably play LB.

Sure but Herdman has to consider. If you dont play him at lb.. who do you take off the field?

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Sure but Herdman has to consider. If you dont play him at lb.. who do you take off the field?

That's Herdman's problem.

My guess though would be Osorio, with David playing in his spot, or David playing in Hoilett's spot, pushing Junior into the centre.

My starting 11     

Borjan

Godinho                                         Henry                                                 James                                                 Adekube

Osorio                                                Atiba                                                       Arfield

Davies                                                Cavalini                                                            Junior.

This is just a rough  idea  this will will probably  change  down the road

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think in order to see our best XI/best guys on the field, the 3-5-2 or 5-4-1 however you see it - is the best formation for our players. We even have guys that can slide in seamlessly. 

image.png.340e419c1eedff0d78a39fcd70316064.png

Pretty good. But I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, any iteration of Canada’s best lineup has to include Junior Hoilett.

If we’re trying to get our best players on the field, there certainly shouldn’t be three centre backs.

56 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think in order to see our best XI/best guys on the field, the 3-5-2 or 5-4-1 however you see it - is the best formation for our players. We even have guys that can slide in seamlessly. 

Beautiful, exactly what I would pick other than I think I'd slot Buchanan in over zbg and Kennedy is really close to getting a CB spot. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Very close to my ideal but I wold hope we would get a much better option over Kamal Miller. Kennedy has been playing CB and LB - hope he could step in.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Very close to my ideal but I wold hope we would get a much better option over Kamal Miller. Kennedy has been playing CB and LB - hope he could step in.

It’s either Kamal or Cornelius for me right now. I do want to see Kennedy in a camp, and how he’ll do against Concacaf opponents. Until then, those guys will get the edge for me.

Not much to add because I think Shway nailed it. 

I guess the one tweak I would consider would involve finding a way to get Buchanan in. You could probably drop Adekugbe and use Laryea as the left sided cover, if required. Otherwise I would start Laryea on the right, let Brault-Guillard and Buchanan back him up, and this way we have the option to use Buchanan up high if we morph into a 4-3-3. 

You can only use Adekugbe in one position, and if he's backing Davies up the chance he plays is slim anyways.

4 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Beautiful, exactly what I would pick other than I think I'd slot Buchanan in over zbg and Kennedy is really close to getting a CB spot. 

Has anyone actually watched one of his games? On paper he seems like exactly what we need and hopefully he walks into our teams and steps up, but without ever actually seeing him play its tough to evaluate. Here's a YouTube compilation of him I found.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Has anyone actually watched one of his games? On paper he seems like exactly what we need and hopefully he walks into our teams and steps up, but without ever actually seeing him play its tough to evaluate. Here's a YouTube compilation of him I found.

Looks to have good speed and doesn't seem to recklessly dive into tackles. Curious to see how it translates to the national team. I can see him getting a shot.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

Can't argue with this line up. I'm not fully sold on our 3 defender options, and maybe I'd find a way to get Cornelius in there cause despite his play with Vancouver (the team sucks the life out of anyone), the guy has never put a bad foot for Canada (that I recall)

15 hours ago, Shway said:

I think in order to see our best XI/best guys on the field, the 3-5-2 or 5-4-1 however you see it - is the best formation for our players.

The lineup looks fine, but I don’t think our best XI players includes 3 CB. Replacing a CB with any of the attacking options you have on the bench probably gives us a stronger XI players. 

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Hoilett disappearing from your starting 11 like:

I still want him to start on the wing; he is a complement to David, not a replacement. A different skillset.

Trust me I hear you....that was the only tough "replacement" for me as I agree Hoilett is better coming off the wing as we seen his ability to cut in lick a shot. Ultimately that formation has David or Hoilett playing in a free roam position.
See it as if the attack is coming from the left (Davies) it allows David or Junior to float to the right side, while the back line shifts into a 4 man back line.

It's really a 4-3-3 in attack, it just depends on where the attack is coming from that the wingback gets forward.  
Defensively it's always 5-3-2.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

The lineup looks fine, but I don’t think our best XI players includes 3 CB. Replacing a CB with any of the attacking options you have on the bench probably gives us a stronger XI players. 

It allows us to cover our weakest position and be more defensively sound, while allowing our attacking options to do work. We have a great engine in the middle Arfield, Hutch, and Stephen. 

For example we saw in the USA BMO game that we we're so dangerous on the counter attack with basically only attacking with 3 guys. And it was effective because we had our best attacking players using all their energy into the attack vs what we saw in the USA away game, when Davies was stuck deeper, David was isolated with not much help, and we just couldn't do anything going forward....It also left gaps, when Davies went forward....in which we saw our defence fold under that pressure - reason why adding another guy who is designated to stay back with quality guys in front. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Trust me I hear you....that was the only tough "replacement" for me as I agree Hoilett is better coming off the wing as we seen his ability to cut in lick a shot. Ultimately that formation has David or Hoilett playing in a free roam position.
See it as if the attack is coming from the left (Davies) it allows David or Junior to float to the right side, while the back line shifts into a 4 man back line.

It's really a 4-3-3 in attack, it just depends on where the attack is coming from that the wingback gets forward.  
Defensively it's always 5-3-2.

I understand you logic. I respect it but I don't quite agree.

Let's look just at (an ideal scenario) March 2021:

vs Bermuda Thursday, Thursday, March 25th
vs The Cayman Islands, Sunday, March 28th

----

Let's start with that 2nd game because our lineup barely matters; the Cayman Islands is the weakest Pot 4 team by far and we should steamroll them. 3 at the back is fine. Maybe even 2 at the back :D

They will have an extra rest day but they don't have any good players. One of their better midfielders, Michael Martin, was actually recently banned: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayman_Islands_national_football_team

----

For that first match vs Bermuda, when our non-North American based played haven't played with each other in about 16 months, we need a stable 4-at-the-back formation. That means 2 CBs and a LB and RB. Lejuan Simmons is dangerous and has scored against us before. Nahki Wells is even more dangerous.

They've scored goals vs Panama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXa6Slz9OPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vz1kZ-PKNw
and vs Nicaragua:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9KgpEro5A

Bermuda can also be very dangerous off of set pieces (which we suck at defending).
The managed to score this way against Mexico twice in 2 games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwa3BOBL8VA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAFcjcv0W_g
and vs Haiti at the last Gold Cup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQ2DdFMJUw

This is a match we hope to win 3-1 or 4-1. They are likely to score against us at least once.

20 hours ago, Shway said:

Larin ↓
Cavallini

Cavallini is banned for our first match due to yellow card accumulation. In my own formation that becomes:

J. David ↓
Larin

...at least in that first match against Bermuda. but Herdman may wish to bring in Cavallini into the squad to boost his confidence with a bunch of goals vs the Caymans. 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 7 months later...
On 12/5/2020 at 5:40 PM, Shway said:

I want to think Herdman has been reading this forum lol, but I’ve been saying that we should be using the formation and tactics we’ve been using. 😁

As of July 2021, this one I think:

image.thumb.png.f9d0d742257fb76c2f64c7a529139683.png

It’s tough to leave Laryea out, but Tajon has to start.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I want to think Herdman has been reading this forum lol, but I’ve been saying that we should be using the formation and tactics we’ve been using. 😁

As of July 2021, this one I think:

image.thumb.png.f9d0d742257fb76c2f64c7a529139683.png

It’s tough to leave Laryea out, but Tajon has to start.

I think Hutchinson starts over Kaye if he's available, and Vitoria slots into the middle pushing Kennedy to LCB and Miller sits. The rest of the starting 11 picks itself. 

I don't think we're going to see a "best XI" only because of the three game per window schedule. Need to spread out minutes.

Honestly at the moment I don't see anything different between Kennedy and Miller at LCB. Both have been outstanding and I am cool with them alternating games, which I expect to happen.