Cornelius Henry James 

Hutchinson is ahead of Piette until he retires

Healthy Eustaquio will be ahead of Piette post Gold Cup

3-5-2 might be the way to go for us...

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Spot on with your defensive holding mid assessment.  The lineup will have to depend on who we face.  Lozano and Mexico would tear apart our right side with this formation in my opinion.

47 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You can't play Hoilett in a 3-5-2 and that puts less focus on Davies in an attacking role if he has to run back and forth as a wingback.

2 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

You can't play Hoilett in a 3-5-2 and that puts less focus on Davies in an attacking role if he has to run back and forth as a wingback.

Hoilett has played wingback against teams like Man U this year and has defended effectively.  

Davies is one of the few players we have with the required engine to attack and defend effectively on the wing.  It can be done and it's a reasonable option if we want to start Tabla or David in attacking roles.

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Hoilett has played wingback against teams like Man U this year and has defended effectively.  

Davies is one of the few players we have with the required engine to attack and defend effectively on the wing.  It can be done and it's a reasonable option if we want to start Tabla or David in attacking roles.

I'd like to see the 3-5-2 actually happen and see how it does down with Herdman. I don't recall him ever really using that with the women. I just worry we're putting personnel in positions and assuming it works out.

16 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Hoilett has a premier league team behind him, currently we have players like Henry & Cornelius.  No disrespect to those guys as they are good young players but its not quite the same thing.  Cardiff can also train together for months together on formations while Canada has days to do it with much less experienced defenders.  And at the rate we're going not too many competitive friendlies/games to test it out either.

20 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Lets make a list of the best 11 players regardless of position right now.

1. Atiba

2. Davies

3. Hoilet

4. Arfield

5. David

6. Cavalinni

7. Borjan

8. Estaquio

9. Osorio

10. Piette

11. Kaye

What do you guys think?

Hard to ignore position, but I'll give it a try:

1. David

2. Davies

3. Borjan

4. Hutchinson

5. Cavallini

6. Arfield

7. Hoilett

8. Piette

9. MAK

10. Osorio

11. Henry

* Because this was irrespective of position, I put an emphasis on current form. That means, some good players with sporadic playing time either didn't make the cut (such as Millar, Tabla and Larin), or were ranked lower than they would otherwise (Hoilett below Arfield & Davies below David).

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Hoilett has a premier league team behind him, currently we have players like Henry & Cornelius.  No disrespect to those guys as they are good young players but its not quite the same thing.  Cardiff can also train together for months together on formations while Canada has days to do it with much less experienced defenders.  And at the rate we're going not too many competitive friendlies/games to test it out either.

Yup, none of our defenders are currently playing in a 3 man backline, and James isn't playing at all. I'm thinking 3 at the back gives us more defensive cover but it just may not be right for the players, this is why we need games.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

1. David

2. Davies

3. Borjan

4. Hutchinson

5. Cavallini

6. Arfield

7. Hoilett

8. Piette

9. MAK

10. Osorio

11. Henry

* Because this was irrespective of position, I put an emphasis on current form. That means, some good players with sporadic playing time either didn't make the cut (such as Millar, Tabla and Larin), or were ranked lower than they would otherwise (Hoilett below Arfield & Davies below David).

Based on current form only, I can only see David, Borjan, Hutchinson & Arfield and maybe Cavallini as playing exceptional football week in and week out for their team.  Hoilett plays in the most competetive league so its hard for him to really stand out like David is in Belgium or Arfield is in Scotland.  Regardless of the fact that Davies plays for the best club of any Canadian, its hard to consider him based on current form when he sees a couple minutes every couple weeks.  The rest in MLS are hard to rate at this point as we are only 1 game into the season.

Edited by Corazon

Don't rule out the possibility of MAK as a wing back either in a 3-5-2. Started as a RM in a 4-3-3 last weekend for LAFC. He has the pace and the defensive ability in my opinion, really intrigued to see him continue his upward trajectory and how he is deployed with LAFC this year.

Also guys let's not forget we tied Costa Rica 1-1 in the last Gold cup, our back 4 was:

Adekugbe, Vitoria, Jakovic, Petrasso  - we bossed the middle of the field and had over 65% possession, albeit I did feel Costa Rica was content to play for the tie.  I agree with most, defense seems to still be our question mark but I do feel we have gotten better (at least on paper) from 2 years ago.

Edited by apbsmith

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Based on current form only, I can only see David, Borjan, Hutchinson & Arfield and maybe Cavallini as playing exceptional football week in and week out for their team.  Hoilett plays in the most competetive league so its hard for him to really stand out like David is in Belgium or Arfield is in Scotland.  Regardless of the fact that Davies plays for the best club of any Canadian, its hard to consider him based on current form when he sees a couple minutes every couple weeks.  The rest in MLS are hard to rate at this point as we are only 1 goal into the season.

Agreed. 

And although it's hard to put Davies second based on the very limited minutes he plays, the fact he is earning those minutes at Bayern puts him right under David for me. 

The MLS ones are hard too admittedly. Not much data to draw from. Kaye, Piette and Osorio are all neck-to-neck, basically. I thought Kaye had a better game than Oso, but I missed the MTL game, so I am deferring to Piette's body of work when I place him above both.

10 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Adekugbe, Vitoria, Jakovic, Petrasso  - we bossed the middle of the field and had over 65% possession, albeit I did feel Costa Rica was content to play for the tie.  I agree with most, defense seems to still be our question mark but I do feel we have gotten better (at least on paper) from 2 years ago.

I agree

Adekugbe is capable of doing the job

Cornelius is an upgrade and younger

Godhino is better than Petrasso and ZBG isn't far behind

MDS could polish Henry's game. Tomori would be awesome but the next CB belonging next to Cornelius will emerge from CPL or MLS.

3 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Don't rule out the possibility of MAK as a wing back either in a 3-5-2. Started as a RM in a 4-3-3 last weekend for LAFC. He has the pace and the defensive ability in my opinion, really intrigued to see him continue his upward trajectory and how he is deployed with LAFC this year.

Also guys let's not forgot we tied Costa Rica 1-1 in the last Gold cup, our back 4 was:

Adekugbe, Vitoria, Jakovic, Petrasso  - we bossed the middle of the field and had over 65% possession, albeit I did feel Costa Rica was content to play for the tie. As defense seems to still be our question mark. I do feel we have gotten better (at least on paper).

True.

And for all the talk of our backline being our achilles heel, our 2019 version should be much improved, in theory.

Adekugbe will be the only potential holdover...

Adekugbe---Cornelius---Henry---Godinho

Cornelius - has more pace than Vitoria and is better passer out of the back. Virotia has more experience and is better in the air. I'll take the former, especially since at club level he is paired with...

Henry - has more pace than Jakovic and better emergancy defending and tackling. Plus he has finally earned my trust ahead of Dejan as far as mistakes go. Not a criticism of Jakovic, but rather a complement to Henry for reducing the errors.

Godinho - basically a more defensively sound version of Petrasso. And going forward he looks like a full back, whereas Petrasso looks like a winger shoehorned into the full back role. He is better than 2017 Petrasso.

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Lets make a list of the best 11 players regardless of position right now.

1. Atiba 2. Davies 3. Hoilet 4. Arfield 5. David 6. Cavalinni 7. Borjan 8. Estaquio 9. Osorio 10. Piette 11. Kaye

What do you guys think?

In addition to the above (minus the injured Eustaquio) 11. Henry, 12. Cornelius, 13. James, 14. Godinho, 15. Larin, 16. Crepeau and 17. Tabla are all locks for the GC squad.  That leaves 5 outfield spots up for grabs, and one keeper.

For: Akindele

Mid: Wotherspoon, Tiebert

Def: Vitoria, Adekugbe

GK: Leutwiler

Left Out: Simon Thomas, deJong, Liam Millar, ZBG, Cordova, Edgar, Straith, Will Johnson, Ricketts, Chapman

• 4 weeks later...

Post French Guiana Starting 11:

Hoilett----------Cavallini---------Davies

----------Arfield----------------David

--------------------Hutchinson

Adekugbe--James--Henry--Godinho

-----------------------Borjan

12-18:  Larin, Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Edgar, Crepeau, Thomas

19-23:  Millar, Tabla, Tiebert, ZBG, Cornelius

If anyone should be at risk of losing their spot, it is Tiebert (Johnson, Wotherspoon), Cornelius (Vitoria, Straith) and ZBG (only if he doesn't play in Montreal and Cordova does play in Chile).  Millar and Tabla may also benefit more by staying with their clubs for pre season.  I don't think we lose too much by replacing them with Akindele and Edwards for the Gold Cup.

On 3/5/2019 at 5:58 PM, Obinna said:

1. David

2. Davies

3. Borjan

4. Hutchinson

5. Cavallini

6. Arfield

7. Hoilett

8. Piette

9. MAK

10. Osorio

11. Henry

Joder, debe ser una broma.

Seriously, I just don't agree about David being so high.

It's (the first five for me, unarguable):

1-Hoillet

2-Atiba

3-Borjan

4-Cavallini

5-Arfield

6-Davies

7-David

8-Piette

9-Kaye

10-Osorio

11-Millar

Our CB situation is dire and will come back to haunt us this Gold Cup and upcoming Nations League.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Post French Guiana Starting 11:

Hoilett----------Cavallini---------Davies

----------Arfield----------------David

--------------------Hutchinson

Adekugbe--James--Henry--Godinho

-----------------------Borjan

12-18:  Larin, Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Edgar, Crepeau, Thomas

19-23:  Millar, Tabla, Tiebert, ZBG, Cornelius

If anyone should be at risk of losing their spot, it is Tiebert (Johnson, Wotherspoon), Cornelius (Vitoria, Straith) and ZBG (only if he doesn't play in Montreal and Cordova does play in Chile).  Millar and Tabla may also benefit more by staying with their clubs for pre season.  I don't think we lose too much by replacing them with Akindele and Edwards for the Gold Cup.

Spot on for my lineup as well.  Kaye & ZBG at outside back were both good over the weekend, so those would be the only two I could see as replacement.  Our center backs are still weak but I think its become more clear that James & Henry are our two starters.  I would still rather see Cornelious over Edgar though.  Hopefully Tomori commits because we surely need the help.  If Miller continues to play for Orlando I would rather see him in my 23 than Edgar regardless of leadership strengths he brings.  Edgar & Teibert would be potentially be the only 2 I see dropped from the 23 man roster.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see 2 starting lineups in the GC. A mexico starting lineup and a vs everyone else starting lineup

Cavallini

Hoilett  Arfield David

Piette MAK

Davies Henry Cornelius ZBG

Bench.. Atiba, Adekugbe, James, Larin, Millar, Osorio, Godinho

Vs Mexico

Cavallini

Hoilett Mak Arfield

Piette Atiba

Davies Henry Cornelius ZBG

Edited by SpursFlu

WhyTF do you have Davies at LB in games where we need him to be up the pitch and creating chances?

WhyTF do you have Davies at LB in a game where we need to be rock solid defensively?

Davies is not a LB. If you want to throw him out there against Martinique as a one off to get more offensive talent on the pitch.. fine. But that's it. 

I have Davies at LB because he is good at LB and i want him on the pitch. If he's not at LB then who do you displace? It's about fielding the best 11

Besides even as you start the game with defence in mind you have opportunities to get forward. If your chasing the game in the 2nd half you essentially play with 3 at the back anyways. Have ever watched Marcelo play full back? 

I really value Jr Hoilett. I think he needs to be on the field for us and considering we really dont have a standout LB that you would displace for Davies. I feel this is our best 11 unit. You play to win the game

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

WhyTF do you have Davies at LB in games where we need him to be up the pitch and creating chances?

WhyTF do you have Davies at LB in a game where we need to be rock solid defensively?

Davies is not a LB. If you want to throw him out there against Martinique as a one off to get more offensive talent on the pitch.. fine. But that's it. 

3 different managers have played Davies at LB. It might be time to soften that opinion 

17 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

3 different managers have played Davies at LB. It might be time to soften that opinion 

Cmon.. what does Bayern Munich know?

I would also add you know who is our most underrated player.. Jr Hoilett. Probably the most underrated player in Concacaf.  In the opponents 3rd he's an absolute handfull 

When i look at the 11 we can put out against Mexico considering Mexico's strenght and their weakness. I think we'll give them headaches

Edited by SpursFlu

Herdman said that he'll play Davies at LB against teams who will bunker. The main reason is to give him space to attack, as he's best when he has the field in front of him to run at players.

I would be shocked if he played LB against Mexico based on this. It will probably be Kaye.

Against Cuba and Martinique, he'll probably play LB.

Edited by Obinna