Best XI

Addona

It's been a while since we did this exercise, and since we're not playing any games, I thought it would be fun to assess where we're at.  If we had a game tomorrow to make the WC, who would start?

Larin

Hoilett  --- Osorio --- Davies

Arfield --- Hutch

Adekugbe  --- James --- Henry --- WJ  

Borjan

This wasn't as easy as it has been in the past!  Couldn't get Piette or Cav ... also, the back line is a bit of a guessing game.  I could easily have written:  MDJ --- Vitoria --- Straith/Jako --- Petrasso/Cordova.

-------------------------Borjan----------------

Petrasso---Jakovic---Henry-----De Jong

--------Arfield----Hutchinsion---Osorio------

-------------------------Hoilett--------------------------

---------------Larin--------------Cavallini------------

Depends on what formation we play though. I could shift things around so Davies (who I really like) is on the field. Same goes for Piette. It's a good problem to have.

On the flipside I am not happy with RB and I still don't think Petrasso is a RB but someone has to fill that gap. He's the best of a bunch of weak options. I like Cordova and Godinho but haven't seen enough of either, so perhaps there is favourtism on my part, but I suspect both will show they are better in that role than Petrasso very soon.

At left back I think Adekugbe is doing great things in Norway, but I haven't seen him play in Norway so how can I put him ahead of De Jong who I can see on a weekly basis? I can see Marcel playing well and he has a ton of experience despite some obvious shortcomings, but he is proving to be a legitimate MLS starting LB, and MLS is now ahead of Norway and without watching them, I can take an educated guess that Valerenga is not as strong as Vancouver. Adekugbe has more upside clearly but as of right now I think De Jong is the better player.

CB I was tempted to put James in but I honestly think his run of games in our team was made possible by Henry being out injured. I like a healthy Henry over James. Jakovic provides the experience and makes less mistakes than James with the same passing ability. Pre-injury Edgar would probably be my first choice. 

Edited by Obinna

Cavallini

Davies Osorio Hoilett

Arfield Hutchinson

deJong Jakovic James Johnson

Borjan

Cavallini has had more regular games and more goals than Larin this year, so for me that decision was easy.

The midfield picks itself.  Issues arise when we need a goal and have to bring on Larin, who gets sacrificed?  Probably Osorio or Hoilett.  Here's hoping Liam Millar develops into a sub option on the wing, as right now there's not much in the way of subs who can provide a change of pace on the wings aside from Ricketts, and we've been there and done that.  Akindele remains the forgotten man.   

As I see it, one of James or Henry have to play as their athleticism and goal threat off set pieces is crucial.  I don't trust them let them play together though, not yet. 

Sticking with the 4-3-3 from the Toulon Tournament.

Cavallini

Davies                         Millar

Arfield            Hutchinson        Hoilett

De Jong      James       Jakovic       Godhino

Borjan

The defence for me is pretty weak. Seems many are a toss up, i.e. Petrasso, Adekugbe, James, Cornelius, Cordova etc . Maybe playing a 3-4-3 would be better.

Cavallini

Millar

Davies          Osario       Arfield      Hoilett

Hutchinson       

De Jong     Jakovic       Godhino

Borjan

Regardless of how we end up with the formation, I think Canada has lacked pace and organization in the past. Herdman seems to be helping with the organization so far in the short-term. Regarding pace, this is why both Millar and Davies are in my starting line-ups. Arfield and Hutchinson are great distributors so they fixture in my starting line-up as well - important for the counter-attack to pass to speedsters Millar and Davies in full-stride.

Maybe a bit off topic, but could a Hutchinson play in the back-4 ( like Bradley recently with TFC)?

25 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Gotta move on from Hutchinson..played much less than last year in his club, more injuries and with his age we are close to the point where Kaye and Piette would do as well or better than him

Kaye & Piette would do as well as Hutch? Why did both sign with MLS in the past year and not with a Champions League club in Europe?

Also Hutch had 34 appearances with 2800 minutes this season.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Pretty solid team. The only changes I would make is Johnson for Ledgerwood and anyone instead of Tabla.

-------------------------Borjan----------------

------------James--Jakovic--Henry---

Cordova--------------------------Adekugbe

-------------Hutch-------Arfield-----------

Hoilett---------------------------------Davies

---------------------Larin----------------------

Easy switch to a 433 with Osorio coming in for Henry.

6 hours ago, Namaste said:

Sticking with the 4-3-3 from the Toulon Tournament.

Cavallini

Davies                         Millar

Arfield            Hutchinson        Hoilett

De Jong      James       Jakovic       Godhino

Borjan

The defence for me is pretty weak. Seems many are a toss up, i.e. Petrasso, Adekugbe, James, Cornelius, Cordova etc . Maybe playing a 3-4-3 would be better.

Cavallini

Millar

Davies          Osario       Arfield      Hoilett

Hutchinson       

De Jong     Jakovic       Godhino

Borjan

Regardless of how we end up with the formation, I think Canada has lacked pace and organization in the past. Herdman seems to be helping with the organization so far in the short-term. Regarding pace, this is why both Millar and Davies are in my starting line-ups. Arfield and Hutchinson are great distributors so they fixture in my starting line-up as well - important for the counter-attack to pass to speedsters Millar and Davies in full-stride.

Maybe a bit off topic, but could a Hutchinson play in the back-4 ( like Bradley recently with TFC)?

Would be a waste to have Hoilett this far away from goal.

As Obinna stated previously, it is difficult to select a starting 11 until we know definitively what system Herdman is going to deploy. It also depends on who we are playing; vs Mexico, USA or Costa Rica, Herdman may want to use 2 CDMs with Arfield. If it is El Salvador Osorio swaps in  etc. In any event, I still believe that we will not see Cav and Larin starting together against a quality opponent unless our back 4 improves drastically. We are currently too weak and slow at the back and need the extra midfielder to compensate. There is potential coming up as we have seen recently, but they have to perform at the senior level.

---------------------Borjan-----------------------

Petrasso-----Jakovic----James----DeJong

--------------Kaye--------------Hutchinson-------

---------Hoilett-------Arfield-------Davies------

-----------------------Cavallini------------------------