BMO Field Surface Poll

How so?  The bad condition of the turf this year had nothing to do with the Argos, they weren't playing.  It was the Canadian winter. And we have proof that soccer causes more stress to a surface (albeit hybrid) than football, so I'd be curious to hear your rationale.

Hey folks, how's aboot posting the reasons for your decision, I'm curious.  Me, I want artificial turf.

Just kidding :)  I am on the fence between turf and hybrid.  I thought the reasons why they didn't go hybrid in the first place were rational.  But then again I haven't heard any horror stories about hybrid either.  I dunno.

I'm open to be convinced.  I was originally solidly behind hybrid and thought they would go that way until I heard about the cons against it.

Here's some background from the BMO thread for those who might not have seen it.

Reminder why a hybrid field was rejected in the first place

BMO Field's grass guys feeling the pressure
Larson talks with the guys in charge of keeping the grass green
Kurtis Larson, Toronto Sun, February 05, 2016

A point of contention has been the decision to not install a hybrid grass system – a surface that reinforces a natural surface with artificial fibers.

Instead, MLSE has invested $400,000 in a pair of natural grass pitches currently growing in Mount Hope, Ont. They're identical to the pitch currently growing at BMO Field.

“Once you go with hybrid, you're stuck with it,” Hunter explained the decision. “You can't do patching or replacement.”

As Heggie affirmed, the decision provides something of an insurance plan, an immediate back up.

“If you have a hybrid field you're relying on growing grass from seed,” Heggie added. “There's no quick fix. When you have natural grass you have the ability to rip it out and put fresh grass in – thick cut grass that will stay down. You always have that in case of emergency.”

His tuned has drastically changed since that article. Here's a link a David Platt article talking about BMO going to a Hybrid.

“All of them have it,” Heggie said of the English Premier League’s adoption of hybrid pitches. “And you’ll see their stadiums in December and January and towards the end of the season, and from where the goalie stands to the 12-yard dot is just gutted. There’s no grass left in some of these stadiums.

“But it still holds together. You never see them slipping and sliding. And the reason it’s not slipping and sliding is because that hybrid solution is in there. It can look not great but it will always play and at the end of the day it is about playability, not aesthetics.”

23 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

His tuned has drastically changed since that article. Here's a link a David Platt article talking about BMO going to a Hybrid.

Yes, I posted that article in the BMO stadium thread, and also posed the question why hybrid wasn't used in the first place.  They must have come to the conclusion that they can't fight the Canadian winter every year.

but it will always play and at the end of the day it is about playability, not aesthetics.”

Maybe that sentence is telling and they were trying to please fans too much?  Dunno.

6 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

After being one of those who complained about getting games out of BMO and around the country, I now wonder, in the past few years, how many men's games have actually been played at BMO?

After 4 games in each of 2011 and 2012 there has been 0 in 2013, 1 in 2014, 3 in 2015, 0 in 2016, 1 in 2017, and of course so far 0 in 2018.

As for your other comment about the poll results, my impression back when the Argos were first confirmed to be coming was that most were hoping for hybrid back then. I think my impression came from comments on wakingthered.com, but could also be my own perception because I wanted hybrid back then too.

Artificial turf was created by the one true god, Science, expressly for the purpose of providing a place to play sports. It is pretty and flexible and supports Canada's petroleum industry. Long live artificial turf, grass is for cattle.

51 minutes ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Artificial turf was created by the one true god, Science, expressly for the purpose of providing a place to play sports. It is pretty and flexible and supports Canada's petroleum industry. Long live artificial turf, grass is for cattle.

Former Mets pitcher Tug McGraw, on whether he prefers grass to AstroTurf: “I don’t know. I’ve never smoked AstroTurf.”

I think given our winters, and having to play late into the fall and early in the year, hybrid will not have the results its had elsewhere. 

worth trying, since its not my money.  but i'm skeptical that it would be any better than a natural surface + replacement natural surfaces when needed, as theyre doing currently. 

16 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I think given our winters, and having to play late into the fall and early in the year, hybrid will not have the results its had elsewhere. 

worth trying, since its not my money.  but i'm skeptical that it would be any better than a natural surface + replacement natural surfaces when needed, as theyre doing currently. 

With a hybrid system you can put in the heating system underneath,  A lot of northern countries all have this system in place. 

16 hours ago, SpecialK said:

With a hybrid system you can put in the heating system underneath,  A lot of northern countries all have this system in place. 

It’s not clear from your comment if you are aware or not, but this already exists at BMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot wait to see what upgrades they make to BMO especially since we know it will be one of the 2026 FIFA World Cup Canadian venues

Archived