Emile Legault

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

Me too.  As noted by Blackdude, it will be interesting to see with advent of CPL whether CDN MLS sides can entice some of these guys back by offering them loans to CPL sides to guarantee playing time if they are sitting on the bench of the MLS side.  Not saying that would be good or bad but I suspect that would help in some cases. 

CDN MLS teams can't operate that way otherwise they'd be treating CPL like a farm league. They can't know in advance in a CPL team will take a player or not

29 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CDN MLS teams can't operate that way otherwise they'd be treating CPL like a farm league. They can't know in advance in a CPL team will take a player or not

We can play MLS teams against the league itself this way.  Similar to what Ottawa has done with Montreal.. does anyone think Ottawa is covering all their salaries?  Personally I don’t, we can bully these teams “oh you need a player on loan to meet mls restrictions and we’re a perfect fit?  Sure we’ll take them at 10%”.  And if they don’t go along with that young Canadians are going to realize they should sign off the bat with CPL teams so they can actually play. 

Let MLS drown itself in its rules.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

We can play MLS teams against the league itself this way.  Similar to what Ottawa has done with Montreal.. does anyone think Ottawa is covering all their salaries?  Personally I don’t, we can bully these teams “oh you need a player on loan to meet mls restrictions and we’re a perfect fit?  Sure we’ll take them at 10%”.  And if they don’t go along with that young Canadians are going to realize they should sign off the bat with CPL teams so they can actually play. 

Let MLS drown itself in its rules.

If the Impact still had FC Montreal, they could sign a few of these prospects to USL deals and own their rights outside of MLS. In other words, Impact ownership is playing itself by being too cheap to continue to operate a full reserve side.

Whitecaps are in the same boat, although I wonder if the Davies windfall could help fund a USL D3 side for a while.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

What's stopping MLS teams from contacting CPL teams ahead of time? Genuine question, I always thought this sort of thing was done fairly regularly in Europe (and I don't mean officially affiliated clubs, just regular loans).

1 hour ago, RS said:

If the Impact still had FC Montreal, they could sign a few of these prospects to USL deals and own their rights outside of MLS. In other words, Impact ownership is playing itself by being too cheap to continue to operate a full reserve side.

Whitecaps are in the same boat, although I wonder if the Davies windfall could help fund a USL D3 side for a while.

That ship has sailed unless they want to do it in the states.. but that would be problematic for many reasons one might anticipate. 

Imo it won’t be long before TFC II bites the dust as well.  Just no need if they can work cooperatively with the 3 other pro clubs in the province. 

2 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

TFC2 has already announced they are going down to USL D3, several months ago, actually.

Right, I’m curious to know what type of squad that will be?  Hopefully just an academy squad with the occasional first team loan otherwise it’s a waste.

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Right, I’m curious to know what type of squad that will be?  Hopefully just an academy squad with the occasional first team loan otherwise it’s a waste.

I agree with what shamrock said above. Though I would hope to see a few of the top end players who are close to making the first team loaned out to CPL clubs

11 hours ago, El Diego said:

What's stopping MLS teams from contacting CPL teams ahead of time? Genuine question, I always thought this sort of thing was done fairly regularly in Europe (and I don't mean officially affiliated clubs, just regular loans).

Whitecaps have said they have already had talks with Pacific FC and the Cavalry about doing exactly this. Expect to potentially see guys like Michael Baldisimo, Theo Bair and Thomas Hasal loaned to CPL.

14 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Oops. Yeah, my bad. I probably wanted to say that USSDA might not be what he's looking for though. I just don't think USSDA is ideal for a footballer who wants to play pro when you have options.

Anyways, Martineau confirms that he signed  at Celtic mainly to play with the reserve team.

I like this move. Good luck to Emile!

Report: Celtic set to sign highly-rated Canadian defender Emile Legault

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/08/09/do-report-celtic-set-to-sign-highly-rated-canadian-defender-emil/

Scottish Premiership champions Celtic handed a trial to former Auxere centre-back ? Legault and it seems he impressed.

And it seems that Legault has done enough to convince Celtic to snap him up on a permanent basis. A centre-back by trade, he can also play at right-back and was part of the Canada U21 side that finished sixth at the recent Toulon Tournament.

On his Canada Soccer profile it shows he is 180cm. That is not that big for a centre back. https://canadasoccer.com/?pid=4247&t=profile&

I know there are some great not taller than 6' CB like Ramos, but generally it seems unless he is very dominant in the centre then he might be pushed outside to the full back position.

The Canada Soccer profile may be a few years old and he may be taller. Does anybody have an updated height on this kid?

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

On his Canada Soccer profile it shows he is 180cm. That is not that big for a centre back. https://canadasoccer.com/?pid=4247&t=profile&

I know there are some great not taller than 6' CB like Ramos, but generally it seems unless he is very dominant in the centre then he might be pushed outside to the full back position.

The Canada Soccer profile may be a few years old and he may be taller. Does anybody have an updated height on this kid?

180cm looks pretty generous from what I saw at Toulon. Also, it’s the first time it’s mentionned anywhere that he plays centre back so maybe it’s an error? 

Also from Toulon, he displayed a lot of good things for a fullback but nothing that says he could play centre back.