Rheo

HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

3 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Very Very Very Slim but a lot closer the zilch.

The Wanderers would not even let them use the stadium for their exhibition game. Besides that the capacity is 6500 or so - well below what a CFL franchise need to be any way viable.

This is the clarity I was looking for, thanks. I was worried the Wanderers would end up sharing an American Football field

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, FromAwaysHFX said:

He might still get signed, but as far as I know he hasn't been offered a contract as of now. From what I've seen of him, he's a really, really good goalscorer, but doesn't offer too much else. Maybe that's why there are question marks.

Saying that, a friend of mine went to watch training today and said he thinks he saw Yuma hanging around. He wasn't involved on the pitch though.

Maybe Yuma was the one who got hurt during trials? 

Interesting seeing Karklins signed. Played with him briefly when the Div 2 Halifax Soccer League was around and he was clearly the best player on the pitch. He most recently played with a bunch of guys I know from youth soccer on that Woodcocks squad and I’m pretty sure he was their ringer.

Edited by HfxCeltic

On 3/16/2019 at 8:32 PM, Ansem said:

Why don’t they just bring in stands on that area behind the net that has no stands , I’m sure they could sell it, that way all four sides have stands .

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Why don’t they just bring in stands on that area behind the net that has no stands , I’m sure they could sell it, that way all four sides have stands .

They would have to deal with the city of Halifax.

Posted (edited)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/cbc-nova-scotia-news-march-18-2019-1.5061834?cmp=rss

14:45 CBC did a short piece on the team.  I'm really disappointed with the club's lack of training videos and player interviews.  I understand they are focused on selling season tickets but it is week 3 of training camp for christ sakes.  Valour and Forge have multiple videos per day.

Couple of things from the segment:

- Ibra Sanoh was interviewed as a spectator.

- They mention Christian Oxner having to compete with international players on this team from countries as far as Japan ( Kodai Iida) and Chile (?).  It's possible they confused Chile with Colombia or someone got a scoop.

Edited by DigzTFC

Maybe the lack of training videos and coverage is deliberate. All the other clubs are showing their hand, most probably in an attempt to increase ticket sales etc. I’m thinking Hart is a shrewd operater and keeping his cards close to his chest. Everyone has written off HFX before a ball has been kicked. I’m thinking an element of surprise with HfX come game 1. He has a good bunch of hungry players who will play good passing football. 

9 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/cbc-nova-scotia-news-march-18-2019-1.5061834?cmp=rss

14:45 CBC did a short piece on the team.  I'm really disappointed with the club's lack of training videos and player interviews.  I understand they are focused on selling season tickets but it is week 3 of training camp for christ sakes.  Valour and Forge have multiple videos per day.

Couple of things from the segment:

- Ibra Sanoh was interviewed as a spectator.

- They mention Christian Oxner having to compete with international players on this team from countries as far as Japan ( Kodai Iida) and Chile (?).  It's possible they confused Chile with Colombia or someone got a scoop.

I'm guessing because the two clubs you mention already have existing coms teams via their CFL teams, much easier to hit the ground running. Same with FCE.

A minor gripe but one thing that does annoy me with the Wanderers is they don't seem to use the #canpl hashtag on their twitter account. So none of their posts are going into the main stream of CPL news on twitter. Seems weird they are not using it considering that seems to be the agreed upon tag for all things CPL related.

12 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

A minor gripe but one thing that does annoy me with the Wanderers is they don't seem to use the #canpl hashtag on their twitter account. So none of their posts are going into the main stream of CPL news on twitter. Seems weird they are not using it considering that seems to be the agreed upon tag for all things CPL related.

Wow, just noticed that. That's very amateur and not minor at all. Any coms person will tell you that you have to be part of the conversation.

5 hours ago, Chris 1976 said:

Maybe the lack of training videos and coverage is deliberate. All the other clubs are showing their hand, most probably in an attempt to increase ticket sales etc. I’m thinking Hart is a shrewd operater and keeping his cards close to his chest. Everyone has written off HFX before a ball has been kicked. I’m thinking an element of surprise with HfX come game 1. He has a good bunch of hungry players who will play good passing football. 

That'd make sense, except all the teams are going together to the Domincan Republic and will play against each other and vs rivals, and they are all going to be able to scout the living hell out of each other. Perhaps unlike any league in history, they'll all know each other before the season starts, they'll even be adjusting in function of their first league games. 

Unless you keep your cards so close to your chest you are not going to play the way you want in preseason, not too likely.

I imagine that every club has their admin in a different state, run in a different way, and maybe each is prioritising spending differently as well. 

Does Halifax have journalists prepared to handle covering a pro sports team on a daily basis?

Yes valid point about the Dominican however I still think given Harts vast experience and management ethos  he is deliberately keeping the first 4 weeks of preseason low key as are the players on social media.  

What do you gain putting out loads of videos ?   Forge have just put some clips on line showing training outside. The first clip shows me a scout that they have at least one player now who has a very poor first touch and poor decision making under pressure as he loses possession unopposed !  Did they think that through when they put the clip out ?

1 hour ago, Chris 1976 said:

What do you gain putting out loads of videos ?   Forge have just put some clips on line showing training outside. The first clip shows me a scout that they have at least one player now who has a very poor first touch and poor decision making under pressure as he loses possession unopposed !  Did they think that through when they put the clip out ?

What do you gain from putting out videos? Engagement with fans?!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What do you gain from putting out videos? Engagement with fans?!

Exactly.  We're rare birds that scour the internet looking for crumbs of information on the team.  We're not most people.  Most people don't even know the league exists.  Not advertising yourself to a wider audience is shortsighted.  It could be a massive missed opportunity if a team in Quebec starts up next year and New Brunswick fans gravitate towards that team because they aren't engaged with a Halifax club.

Edited by DigzTFC

I think their communications department is in its infancy.  You can see it in these type of errors:

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/roster

Check out the roster pictures. At the very end Andre Bona is listed.  Has anyone seen a statement that he's been signed?  His picture is on the roster but he is not on the list of the roster below.

They are the only club with full roster photos... yet somehow they are behind in their marketing? I’ve said it way too many times, but each club will be ahead in some areas and behind in others. They have an online viewing system for their stadium, only other club with that is Edmonton. They do have videos online as well, they had Paul Brothers out for a training session. They have been featured on tv. I think they are doing ok.

Posted (edited)

A few players I don't recognize in the video. 

Hopefully someone can interview a trialist at media day.

Global HalifaxVerified account @globalhalifax

https://globalnews.ca/video/5075343/kick-it-out-paul-checks-out-hfx-wanderers-fc-training-camp

HFX Wanderers FC @HfxWanderersFC 2m2 minutes ago

20 minutes until it’s autograph and media time here @SoccerNS #MeetTheWanderers

image.thumb.png.f067fa49bde0496185fbe1dee04438e6.png

Edited by DigzTFC

Posted (edited)

Made it over to training this afternoon. Couple of notes:

• 10 v 10 game, 3/4 length pitch.
  • Finished 1-0, Garcia the goalscorer.
  • Definite emphasis on simplicity. Hart seemed to get frustrated several times when players over complicated the basics.
  • Kodai Iida, first half in particular, was very, very good. Playing as more of a no.6 which was surprising.
  • Like the look of Simmons & Rampersad as a midfield two (my friend, who has been over every day this week, said they're the only two that have played together every single day, which tells you a lot)
  • Peter Schaale and Andre Bona both put in very strong, commanding performances.
  • Scott Firth, at only 17, is an incredibly composed and calm player.
  • There were two unknown trialists taking part. One is a 17 year old from the Impact academy. I believe his surname is Marshall. The other was a center-back whose name I didn't catch.

I'll do a full write-up on the blog (http://www.fromaways.com) over the next week ?

Edited by FromAwaysHFX

17 minutes ago, FromAwaysHFX said:

Made it over to training this afternoon. Couple of notes:

• 10 v 10 game, 3/4 length pitch.
  • Finished 1-0, Garcia the goalscorer.
  • Definite emphasis on simplicity. Hart seemed to get frustrated several times when players over complicated the basics.
  • Kodai Iida, first half in particular, was very, very good. Playing as more of a no.6 which was surprising.
  • Like the look of Simmons & Rampersad as a midfield two (my friend, who has been over every week, said they're the only two that have played together every single day, which tells you a lot)
  • Peter Schaale and Andre Bona both put in very strong, commanding performances.
  • Scott Firth, at only 17, is an incredibly composed and calm player.
  • There were two unknown trialists taking part. One is a 17 year old from the Impact academy. I believe his surname is Marshall. The other was a center-back whose name I didn't catch.

I'll do a full write-up on the blog (http://www.fromaways.com) over the next week ?

Must be Oscar Marshall, also a local Halifax boy.

Posted (edited)

Just an FYI, Guti is arriving at 1pm tomorrow, so hopefully we'll get the chance to see some clips of him in training over the next few days.

Really curious to see if Hart sees him as a no.10 or someone that's going to be be a left-sided attacker. Think Kodai may be a little better than they realised, so it gives them a bit more flexibility with how they set things up in an attacking sense.

Edited by FromAwaysHFX