Jump to content
Rheo

HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Do not wonder anymore. It is exactly how you imagine it is. 

Just imagine a player attempting the classic "you threw your beer at me so I'm going to take a sip" only it's red wine and they spew everywhere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chris 1976 said:

Yes Hfx are playing it very low key in the media. Maybe it’s a deliberate strategy by Hart being the wise & shrewd operator he is. Would be nice to get an update on the trialists though? Are they all still there etc?

Trialists were there Monday & Tuesday. Mixed game on Monday, Tralists v Signed Players on Tuesday (signings won 3-2). They've been told they'll hear if they've earnt a contract or not this week (might have been told already) after the coaches have reviewed all the tapes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2019 at 3:38 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Having done bachelor parties at sporting events before I would suggest two things. One - get a suite/tent. Obviously allows the group to be together and mingle freely. Two - buy a bunch of tickets, maybe in the same general area or not, and just find a spot to stand as a group in one of the corners. Unless everyone is a hardcore the game will probably secondary to the drinking and camaraderie.

Figured I'd follow up on this, because I owe you a thank you!

Not that anyone cares about me and my bachelor party planning as much as team news, but I've been dealing with a season ticket rep who helped me lock down some pitch side suites for the home opener! Should be 16-18 of us there, about 10 or so who will be flying in from elsewhere. Marvin was incredibly helpful, and the team offered us a discount (apparently courtesy of Derek himself who was informed what we were trying to do). 

All in all the team was incredibly accommodating, they found a solution for a bunch of out-of-towners, and I can finally rest easy knowing I won't be missing the first ever home game. 

So BuzzAndSting, thanks for the recommendation. 

Now I just hope you guys will let us join in with your pre-game kitchen party and march to the match!

Edited by Copes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Copes said:

Figured I'd follow up on this, because I owe you a thank you!

Not that anyone cares about me and my bachelor party planning as much as team news, but I've been dealing with a season ticket rep who helped me lock down some pitch side suites for the home opener! Should be 16-18 of us there, about 10 or so who will be flying in from elsewhere. Marvin was incredibly helpful, and the team offered us a discount (apparently courtesy of Derek himself who was informed what we were trying to do). 

All in all the team was incredibly accommodating, they found a solution for a bunch of out-of-towners, and I can finally rest easy knowing I won't be missing the first ever home game. 

So BuzzAndSting, thanks for the recommendation. 

Now I just hope you guys will let us join in with your pre-game kitchen party and march to the match!

Just so we understand clearly, as this may affect overall attendance: they approved the stripper or didn't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just so we understand clearly, as this may affect overall attendance: they approved the stripper or didn't they?

I have yet to receive any indication that they disapproved a stripper...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Copes said:

I have yet to receive any indication that they disapproved a stripper...

I think you should just take it as a "yes" and move forward, I'm sure your future wife would say the same thing. 

Seriously, though, an amazing bachelor's party you've set up, and I am also impressed that your friends are all game about it. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copes said:

Figured I'd follow up on this, because I owe you a thank you!

Not that anyone cares about me and my bachelor party planning as much as team news, but I've been dealing with a season ticket rep who helped me lock down some pitch side suites for the home opener! Should be 16-18 of us there, about 10 or so who will be flying in from elsewhere. Marvin was incredibly helpful, and the team offered us a discount (apparently courtesy of Derek himself who was informed what we were trying to do). 

All in all the team was incredibly accommodating, they found a solution for a bunch of out-of-towners, and I can finally rest easy knowing I won't be missing the first ever home game. 

So BuzzAndSting, thanks for the recommendation. 

Now I just hope you guys will let us join in with your pre-game kitchen party and march to the match!

That's amazing! I'm sure you guys will have a blast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think you should just take it as a "yes" and move forward, I'm sure your future wife would say the same thing. 

Seriously, though, an amazing bachelor's party you've set up, and I am also impressed that your friends are all game about it. 

As they say, it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission....

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

As they say, it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission....

 

:lol:

Does it get harder if your discretion is televised nationally?

WAIT!

She doesn't have a subscription to the yet-unknown CPL streaming service! I'm in the clear boys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Seriously, though, an amazing bachelor's party you've set up, and I am also impressed that your friends are all game about it. 

Pretty good group of dudes, and my best man is another Nova Scotian living in Newfoundland who picked up Wanderers tickets. About half the rest of the group are soccer fans in some capacity... and the rest of the guys are drinking fans so they'll be content pummeling beers at a lively venue. 

And lets be honest, nothing will be livelier in Halifax on the 4th. 

Planning to grab brunch somewhere then head to wherever the Supporters Group is hanging out - so closer to the day someone send me along that info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Copes said:

Pretty good group of dudes, and my best man is another Nova Scotian living in Newfoundland who picked up Wanderers tickets. About half the rest of the group are soccer fans in some capacity... and the rest of the guys are drinking fans so they'll be content pummeling beers at a lively venue. 

And don't forget, since you'll be at sideline tables: someone has to sit with his back to the game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copes said:

Pretty good group of dudes, and my best man is another Nova Scotian living in Newfoundland who picked up Wanderers tickets. About half the rest of the group are soccer fans in some capacity... and the rest of the guys are drinking fans so they'll be content pummeling canned wine at a lively venue. 

And lets be honest, nothing will be livelier in Halifax on the 4th. 

Planning to grab brunch somewhere then head to wherever the Supporters Group is hanging out - so closer to the day someone send me along that info.

Fixed your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Calum Ferguson signing from the trials, I guess. Apparently he has a trial with Valour next week. Slightly surprised as I thought he would be a shoe-in given our lack of depth up front and his previous experience in Scotland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

No Calum Ferguson signing from the trials, I guess. Apparently he has a trial with Valour next week. Slightly surprised as I thought he would be a shoe-in given our lack of depth up front and his previous experience in Scotland.

It seems both trials were preplanned so I think it’s likely that both teams get a look and make offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schaale & Bona have both signed contracts now. Imagine that'll be it from a defensive POV. Hocine, Schaale, Bona, De Carolis, N'sa, Sukunda, Langwa, John (if that's where they use him). Happy with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

Interesting twitter speculation...Derek Martin if following Ian Hume on twitter.

I think he is or will soon be out of contract with his Indian Club

Hume, obviously, has history with Stephen Hart, and the Wanderers are low on name recognition. 

Hume to Wanderers is a safe bet.  I don't think he fits in with the youth movements going on in Hamilton and York.  I think Smyrniotis and Isacco think they are in a competition to use CPL to determine which one of them has developed better players in the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

Interesting twitter speculation...Derek Martin if following Ian Hume on twitter.

I think he is or will soon be out of contract with his Indian Club

He is and he mentioned on twitter when asked last week about the CPL that he hasn't been contacted by anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

He is and he mentioned on twitter when asked last week about the CPL that he hasn't been contacted by anyone.

I can't tell when Derek Martin started to follow Hume but it is his most recent follow.  Again, speculation.

 

1 hour ago, FromAwaysHFX said:

Schaale & Bona have both signed contracts now. Imagine that'll be it from a defensive POV. Hocine, Schaale, Bona, De Carolis, N'sa, Sukunda, Langwa, John (if that's where they use him). Happy with that?

Schaale and Hocine will be key to the back line IMO.  Both 6'3" and 6'5" respectively, with a 6'4" goalkeeper we should be difficult to score on on set pieces.....at least theoretically. 

I'm really excited to see Simmons, Langwa, Perea, Guti and Lamy. 

I'm also anxious to see the completed rosters of other clubs.  I feel like there will be marquee names added in April to the CFL backed clubs.  It's hard to gauge how well we rank in comparison.

Edited by DigzTFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

No Calum Ferguson signing from the trials, I guess. Apparently he has a trial with Valour next week. Slightly surprised as I thought he would be a shoe-in given our lack of depth up front and his previous experience in Scotland.

Most of his Scottish experience was in League 2, not that high a level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's usually an exclusively semi-pro level with home supports in a 200-600 sort of range. A lot of top semi-pro players in Scotland actually prefer to play in more local leagues as the travel involved is less drastic, so the weaker clubs in the fourth tier are not as strong as they should be and don't really belong anywhere near a national league setup. It's a good sign where the quality of the league is concerned that he is finding it difficult to nail down a contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FromAwaysHFX said:

Schaale & Bona have both signed contracts now. Imagine that'll be it from a defensive POV. Hocine, Schaale, Bona, De Carolis, N'sa, Sukunda, Langwa, John (if that's where they use him). Happy with that?

Where are you seeing the news on Schaale and Bona? I can't find anything official on who got contracts from the trialists. 

I don't mind our backline. I really think John is going to be a defensive midfielder and not a CB. I'm envisioning a Michael Bradley-type role. He will play deep, and he will use his experience to coordinate both the backline and the midfield. 

Seeing the comment about Schaale and Hocine. I definitely feel like Hocine is probably stapled on (just based on experience and physique) but do we think Schaale would beat out De Carolis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John and simmons both holding Imo with Rampersad in front in a 3. John and simmons both technically strong, keep the ball well and excellent passing ability. simmons averaged 11.5 to 12km a game in 2018 which is top end  EPL Midfielder distance level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...