Jump to content
Rheo

HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bumbleclot said:

What about Ibra Sanoh??? This guy was by far best talent at the game vs the young German side(along with Shaffelburg). Sanoh proved himself. I have no doubt he will be their last big signing, if not he will sign with another CPL team. Ibra is better than many players on that list above. Though many of those 15 players def have potential to sign..I can’t see HFX signing the 2 younger kids. I’ve never seen them play, but I’m assuming they’re not physically ready to play and make an impact at this level. Unless they want to sign to develop them. But I’d imagine they want more signings that can make an impact this first year to kick things off. 

See above. The reason I ask is because I have a Jamaican friend that I used to work with and he used to say a word that is similar to your user name.?

Edited by MtlMario

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yuma and Ferguson have some pedigree and could challenge for a starting role with the current lack of depth up front. Defence still seems a bit of a concern or at least a bit of an unknown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

See above. The reason I ask is because I have a Jamaican friend that I used to work with and he used to say a word that is similar to your user name.?

I had to take a double take?? 100% thought his name was bumbaclot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tossed something like this together, although I'm not confident with Lamy. I could see a 4-5-1, given the numbers in the MF. I might play a bit with that.

image.png.0db1b1636b4f8d11d229687f6150b4e1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

Quick question: How can HFX sign Bona or Schaale with all the international spots taken?

College draft picks are exempt from the International quota.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Really curious to see how the team does, great coach and some potentially good players but also some ??). The leagues first darkhorse team.

I'd put Edmonton close behind too. Coach and players that are very familiar with each other and tons of pace. I put them bottom with Calgary before but there is definitely mystery there that could blossom. 

I love how thing are swaying a bit back and forth now the squads are nearly filled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Initial B said:

Although the roster doesn't look strong, I think having one of the best head coaches in the league will mitigate this somewhat.

How can you determine in anyway the 'roster doesn't looks strong?' I don't think anyone really know how these rosters are going to perform in CPL. I don't think its like any city is blowing out the lights with top level stars. To me there will be no way to tell til the action kicks off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

How can you determine in anyway the 'roster doesn't looks strong?' I don't think anyone really know how these rosters are going to perform in CPL. I don't think its like any city is blowing out the lights with top level stars. To me there will be no way to tell til the action kicks off.

Totally agree.  People are getting so excited with names from the past who have returned to Canada well past their prime in many cases. All this talk about plenty of pace, speed, etc.  Top level football is a highly skilled technical art not a running track for athletes.  I actually think Hart has recruited very diligently with a good mix of pace where it’s needed in certain positions but balanced out with some young strong technical players who can create and make a pass.  I think if he can get them playing as a team they are going to be a top 3 side 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris 1976 said:

Totally agree.  People are getting so excited with names from the past who have returned to Canada well past their prime in many cases....

That's one of the things that looks potentially suspect about Pacific FC with Haber, de Jong and Nakajima-Farran. Having more name recognition doesn't always mean much in the present day when players are well into the downward curve of their careers. Have been impressed by some of the recent moves by the Valour based on what you can gauge roughly from pedigree in the game that they should be able to do in the here and now. Diego Forlan on a Zimmer frame in pro soccer terms is not the same as when he played for Man U even if his name still gets people excited, so in a similar way to the affiliation with an English Premership club that might just have been about getting the team mentioned a bit more in media terms rather than something they would do without having him in on trial first.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't tell if I'm being too picky because this is my CPL team but.... they are significantly lacking in marketing polish behind Victoria, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Hamilton.  We've seen local media and interviews with players daily.  If you're out of market (Halifax) and trying to chose a team, access to team updates with prove crucial to grow the brand and its reach.  Having been born and raised there its not a choice for me but to some it might be.  It will be interesting to see if the marketing increases post USports Final 8 Bastkeball Tournament

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

I can't tell if I'm being too picky because this is my CPL team but.... they are significantly lacking in marketing polish behind Victoria, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Hamilton.  We've seen local media and interviews with players daily.  If you're out of market (Halifax) and trying to chose a team, access to team updates with prove crucial to grow the brand and its reach.  Having been born and raised there its not a choice for me but to some it might be.  It will be interesting to see if the marketing increases post USports Final 8 Bastkeball Tournament

Yes Hfx are playing it very low key in the media. Maybe it’s a deliberate strategy by Hart being the wise & shrewd operator he is. Would be nice to get an update on the trialists though? Are they all still there etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Halifax is any less than any other club. The marketing HFX is doing seems to be going very well, I am very jealous of the fly the flag promotion. As well as the anouncement of the Wine stadium deal. They maybe haven’t done quite as much interviews with players etc.... but that stuff will come. 

Every club will have their own marketing style. FC Edmonton has a full time communications manager to run all their stuff including Eddies TV. He has worked for Edmonton since the NASL days so he has experience doing stuff like that. On the other hand, we don’t have any marketing really aside from community pub nights. Pub nights are great, but the same people go to them every time. I dont think it will reach any people who aren’t already supporting the club. I guess what i am trying to say, is on a limited budget, different teams will focus on different things. Halifax has its own unique marketing style that other clubs dont have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ansem said:

 

that's both awesome and kinda of gross (eww canned wine) and has me curious (i wonder if canned wine is any good?) at the same time. hope that logo is on the kit :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, matty said:

that's both awesome and kinda of gross (eww canned wine) and has me curious (i wonder if canned wine is any good?) at the same time. hope that logo is on the kit :)

Do not wonder anymore. It is exactly how you imagine it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...