HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

48 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Can’t believe he hasn’t been signed and that Dallas gave up on him.

Now that his contract is up he’s no longer GA and thus must count against the cap and/or may be an international now. 

I’m also surprised he’s not being signed by Dallas.  When you think he was our best u20 attacker and he’s the same age as Buchanan who is going top 3 today.  It really is all about catching the wave at the right time - if you’re out of sight you’re out of mind. 

Would love to see him in CPL.  Hopefully on Halifax or FCE who look like they can use the help. 

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

What's all the fuss about? In Harts interview before the New Year he CLEARY said 4 international players will be announced, and they all have to get used to Canadian weather....

One of them might actually count as a domestic player, if Duane Rollins is to be believed:

That should be enough for PR status on moving to Canada.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

One of them might actually count as a domestic player, if Duane Rollins is to be believed:

That should be enough for PR status on moving to Canada.

When did the rules on domestics get released BBTB?  

It doesn’t necessarily matter if you are a PR in terms of the league and his roster status... good for him though for after football. 

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

When did the rules on domestics get released BBTB?  

It doesn’t necessarily matter if you are a PR in terms of the league and his roster status... good for him though for after football. 

Pretty sure Duane is talking about David Furnish, a Canadian, who is married to Elton John the singer.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

I don't think that is what he was claiming. I just think he's a poor at punctuation.

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I don't say the exact opposite  I say that I have no idea who he is married to or was married to beyond remembering the old Robbie Fowler one liner.

Ah. Carry on, then.

Jokes aside, I really like the look of Elton John in that highlight tape, I think he's pretty clearly our starting DM, and it might be safe to assume we will have the most experienced keeper in the league. Garcia and Rampersad are essentiallly unknowns to us so hopefully one of them is a pleasent surprise. 

Side note, does anyone know if U-sports players will count against the international player cap? If so we might have 6 of our rumoured 7 internationals allowed already... Assuming the U-sports guys sign. 

33 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Jokes aside, I really like the look of Elton John in that highlight tape, I think he's pretty clearly our starting DM, and it might be safe to assume we will have the most experienced keeper in the league. Garcia and Rampersad are essentiallly unknowns to us so hopefully one of them is a pleasent surprise. 

Side note, does anyone know if U-sports players will count against the international player cap? If so we might have 6 of our rumoured 7 internationals allowed already... Assuming the U-sports guys sign. 

I remember it being said that drafted U Sports internationals would count as domestic. Dont remember where I saw it though

21 hours ago, BradMack said:

I admittedly only watched John's highlight real this weekend, but i'm quite impressed as well. The comparison made earlier in this thread to Bradley has some merit. I'm very excited about him and Williams. I think that is some real experience and leadership right down our centre, which Hart promised. 

It's certainly too early to tell, but I think signing such an experience defensive midfielder gives us some hints as to how Hart envisions the team lining up. Maybe a diamond 4-4-2, or a 4-3-3 with John in the centre of the park? 

27 minutes ago, Chris 1976 said:

Maybe he is being used as a CB ? As per no 3 and shown as a defender on HFX  tweet?

The press release describes him primarily as a midfielder, and only afterward mentions that he is "equally at home playing at centre-back." So I'd assume Hart plans on using him mainly as a holding mid.

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/article/wanderers-announce-first-ever-international-player-signings-as-trinidad-and-tobago-quartet