HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

Got my tickets all lined up. 3 Nova Scotians all living in Newfoundland are buying in 110 - didn't want to take seats in the Supporters section since we won't always be there and you guys need to be packed. I'd actually like to plan my bachelor party around a game, so I might be looking to pick up more tickets in 110 for a game in June or July if anyone wants to help a buddy out! Haha. 

Anyway, more importantly - we have our first signing. Big day for HFX!

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/article/hfx-wanderers-fc-announce-historic-first-player-signing

Hart really is building from the back. I don't know much about Sakunda, but I look forward to digesting as much as I can over the next little while!

I'm speculating here, but I feel like the app that came out today might eventually have the ability to transfer tickets to other people built in. They talked about ticket functions. Probably able to buy tickets and display them on your screen to be scanned in, like you would at any other event. I feel like they'll have a way to trade/sell them on there too.

If they don't, I plan on creating a place where people can give away/sell (at face value only) their unused or unwanted tickets.

Now, about Sukunda. I don't really know much about him, but he's the type of player this league was meant for. I think he's at a higher level than these bunch of L1O guys York and Forge are rumoured to be bringing in, but he's not at the level of Kyle Bekker. He's still very young though, and a fullback who can play on either side is certainly someone worth grabbing. As an added bonus he's an attacking style fullback, so I hope the Wanderers are the type of team who plays to win, rather than "not lose".

I can't wait for January when the transfer window opens and we start seeing the players *really* come in. On top of that, the league schedule should come out then too, AAAAND the jerseys!

Only one more month!!!

Sukunda is very hardworking, intelligent, comfortable in possession and attack minded. Had a great coach at Ottawa Fury U12/13 in Kwesi, big focus on that program in technical ability and playing the right way. In many ways the Fury when still a PDL club were well ahead of their time with the academy program and produced a number of current professional players as the transition from the Fury to a more technical European style of play was a natural step to make.

Not sure how he ended up in Australia as he fought his way into the starting line up at Umea FC in Sweden and had a cracking season in the end.  Maybe better money down under I don’t know. Sweden tier 3 is a tough physical league so he will be ready for the CPL

Pretty sure HFX have a few others like Sukunda under their sleeve!  

4 hours ago, garmc said:

I can't wait for January when the transfer window opens and we start seeing the players *really* come in. On top of that, the league schedule should come out then too, AAAAND the jerseys!

Only one more month!!!

As all of the players (most likely) are free transfers, the window is meaningless.

I think most rosters have already been formed, it's just a dripdripdrip-presentation of information to keep the fans and media interested. Which makes sense 'cause it's still a couple of months before the season really starts.

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

As all of the players (most likely) are free transfers, the window is meaningless...

It's when a player's registration can be formally transferred from one national association to another, if a player has been playing overseas, so think there will be some signings that can't/won't be announced or negotiated until then. We'll see what happens basically.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's when a player's registration can be formally transferred from one national association to another, if a player has been playing overseas, so think there will be some signings that can't/won't be announced or negotiated until then. We'll see what happens basically.

This and also a lot of players have deals expiring on December 31.  They can be signed now on precontracts but often times they’re sorting through offers as there is no rush.

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/article/hfx-wanderers-fc-season-membership-update

- 95% of Memberships resulted in 2.5 tickets each
- Sold out of premium pitch side cabanas and sideline sky suites

Assuming 2.5:1 conversion ratio for season tickets, and they're around 1120 memberships, that means around 2.800 season tickets from the memberships sold so far.

Wanderers probably going to be over 3,000 season tickets in year 1, which is pretty damn good I think.

Edited by garmc

3 hours ago, garmc said:

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/article/hfx-wanderers-fc-season-membership-update

- 95% of Memberships resulted in 2.5 tickets each
- Sold out of premium pitch side cabanas and sideline sky suites

Assuming 2.5:1 conversion ratio for season tickets, and they're around 1120 memberships, that means around 2.800 season tickets from the memberships sold so far.

Wanderers probably going to be over 3,000 season tickets in year 1, which is pretty damn good I think.

A slight correction. The article says they have spoken to 60% of their members, and of those 60%, 95% have bought an average of 2.5 season tickets. I assume that unaccounted for 5% of members they have spoken to didn’t get any seasons (no doubt they will still go to multiple games though) so if we take that 1120 membership, multiply by 60%, then again by 95%, then by 2.5 tickets, you end up with a hair under 1600 season tickets so far. If we project the same season ticket rate per member then it works out to 2,660 season tickets from the first 1120 members.

Outstanding numbers, and I agree that they will likely end up with more than 3,000 season tickets before the start of the season.

Where projections are concerned a lot depends on whether they are still only part way through the process at this point or they have already attempted to contact the remaining 40%.

Either way this blows anything the Nova Scotia Clippers ever achieved out of the water and is an encouraging sign that soccer can be made to work as a spectator sport in a city like Halifax given there should also be a significant market for flexi-packs and single game tickets.

31 minutes ago, Chris 1976 said:

Just as an example, Halifax has 3x the population of the city of Norwich in the U.K. Norwich city FC  get 20,000+ to home games. So if The CPL takes off the long term attendance  potential is incredible ! 

It will be an interesting decade for Halifax pro sports. Going from no pro spring/summer sports to potentially 3 (CPL, NLL, CFL) in a city of 400,000 will be a bit of a shock to the market

The Wanderers definitely have a first to market advantage and I'll remain skeptical of CFL actually materializing until it is official how the stadium will be funded, but it will be an interesting case study regardless 

As someone who is on the ground in Nova Scotia I can tell you that people are for sure excited about it. Atleast at my age range 20-25 I know several people who are getting season tickets. I myself reseved 3 seats in 105. I know a lot of people who are very into "the kitchen" as well. I feel like there will be near sell outs every game.

Edited by BradMack

Halifax has the best location of any CPL club. Surrounded by universities, all the downtown bars and just a nice spot. I think it will attract more people ages 18-30 than any other club. 

Lots of young people are going to party at the game and then continue on with their night, or pregame at the bar and then go to the game. It's going to be a real event.

16 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Halifax has the best location of any CPL club. Surrounded by universities, all the downtown bars and just a nice spot. I think it will attract more people ages 18-30 than any other club. 

Lots of young people are going to party at the game and then continue on with their night, or pregame at the bar and then go to the game. It's going to be a real event.

Great comment, and I couldn't agree more. Neighbourhood and stadium location is not to be overlooked. It's not good enough to say that "the city has X amount of people and therefore a CPL club will succeed or fail". There is much more to a location than that. 

Halifax has done better than any other club, in my opinion, in getting the club neighbourhood right. The location is amazing. The ability to march to the match from nearby pubs is top notch. The demographics of people who follow soccer (seems to be a much younger demographic than say baseball or football) are all in the core of the city, with the people who will likely pay less attention (older traditional sportsfans) existing in suburbs (Hammonds Planes, etc.)

Derek and the guys nailed it. I really think Halifax will be the case study for how small Canadian cities should do CPL. 

Speaking of local bars we had a little get together last night for some Christmas cheer. We managed to raise 325$ and a trunk full of food for local food banks. Great time had by all. https://twitter.com/Privateers1882/status/1071598481683439617

a.jpg

Edited by grasshopper1917

Let me preface this with a statement:  I want the Wanderers to do well and I think Halifax will be a great market for a CPL team.  It is my primary CPL Team.

I met Stephen Hart on multiple occasions.  His attitude towards scouting, at least from brief conversations, seem predicated on the "eye of the coach" for player evaluations.

My concern is that a proper scouting department will not be established nor will a proper data analytics department be established.  I'm also concerned that there will be a lack of oversight on the structuring of contracts for each position player.  Frankly, I think Stephen Hart will be given carte blanche with regards to a player signings.  If SH is allowed to do so without oversight and structure then the Club is too dependent on the head coach.  The team can only be as good as one person.  HFX will have to depend on scouting in order to compete with teams that have access to larger player pools.  We also know that the head coach is often a short-term position.

HFX also doesn't have a long standing youth academy or association with a local youth academy.

To date only 1 player has been signed which arguably could be the least proven of the CPL signings so far. 

I write this out of concern.  Onward! Upward! HFX!

If you were a manager or pro scout, Would you rather have a  young player with experience,  who has worked his way up through a professional club, overcome adversity , lived away from home for last few years, played USL, Swedish tier 3 and Australia whilst having to overcome the many personal and mental challenges encountered during his professional journey so far,   or a player who has been living comfortably at home with his family and playing LIO? 

I think my point is being missed.  The Club needs more infrastructure to be consistently successful.  SH is a fine coach.  Everyone knows he's connected. 

TFC floundered for years without proper club infrastructure and organization going through several coaches.  It has very little to do with SH as an individual.

As for my comments on Zachary Sukunda being one of the least proven of the signings.  I think that's fair given most of the other players have a higher level of pro experience and national team experience.  That's not to say Sukunda is a bad player.  He's just less proven. 

However, I realize my comments will be taken poorly given the romance period of the Halifax. 

EDIT: Bob Young is the money behind the club?!?

Edited by DigzTFC