HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

From what I remember they were hoping for 2000 memberships eventually, which fits with 4000 season tickets as two per member has been mentioned as a rule of thumb on that.

The club sent out a survey to members last week and one of the more interesting questions was regarding how many season tickets we intend to purchase. I said 2, but apparently a lot more people indicated more than that. The email sent to members yesterday regarding season ticket pricing noted the club anticipates 3-4 season ticket purchases per membership based on the previous weeks survey. As we’re already at 1000+ members (according to season ticket pricing email), 4,000 season tickets is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

I think the number of season tickets to members ratio we’re anticipating in Halifax bodes well for other clubs that are lagging a little behind. The general consensus has been 2 season tickets per membership; but with 3-4 indicated in Halifax, I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised with York and Pacific specifically come the new year.

We'll see what happens soon enough. I'd be very surprised if that happens in the supporters section to any significant extent with young adults, but more than 2 definitely does happen when families are getting involved. A lot depends on the demographics of who is buying the memberships and the type of tickets they are going to be interested in.

With TFC the interest in the supporters section was huge and additional sections had to be allocated as being zones where standing  is tolerated. Any time I watch an Ottawa Fury webstream the supporters section behind the goal has about 20 people in it max and the vast majority of the crowd are sitting sedately in the more expensive sections. The former scenario would probably be where the rule of thumb came from given I think it was Paul Beirne that mentioned it.

Halifax has very different demographics from Toronto and far fewer people that grew up dreaming of being an ultra on the curva behind the goal, so I wouldn't completely discount what you are saying here as a possibility. Not so sure it extends to York 9, but time will tell.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

On 10/12/2018 at 5:42 PM, Blackjack15 said:

No West Stand? Eitheir way the sketch looks solid. What would you say the capacity configuration is? Closer to 5,000 or 7,000 seats

4AAA393C-D801-4A03-9D92-EB113BFAD6FF.jpeg

Those prices are comparable to Fury Season tickets, except the higher priced seats are not as expensive. It would appear that they are going to be in at least the same ballpark as USL...

On 10/13/2018 at 11:01 AM, Copes said:

Call me crazy, but I live in St. John's, Newfoundland and I think I am going to buy a Season Ticket in the Supporter's Section. 

Hear me out. 

I spend $160 per year on a TFC Jersey. I also attend about 2 games a year while travelling. That's over $200 a year. 

I fully intend to transition my soccer spend to HFX. If I'm getting my jersey for free with season tickets, that's attractive. I also intend to purchase a bit of gear (hat, etc.) so the discount that comes with season ticket membership is attractive to me. After that... I'm in Halifax each year much more than Toronto, plus having grown up in Nova Scotia I have a number of family and friends there who I would love to encourage to check out a Wanderers game and could possibly sell / give tickets to. Plus, I already put the $50 membership fee down in order to get early access to the store and just generally support the team, which was important to me when they launched. 

So... like... $199 bucks. I might pull the trigger, that's amazing. Am I nuts?

Okay, so I am in PEI and contemplating the same thing.  I could catch a few games each summer, but that would be about it.  So a few questions for the Wanderers supporters here?

• Would someone like me buying up a seat that would be empty for some (and potentially quite a few) games be viewed as a positive (helping to fund the team at the outset) or a negative (one less person in the stadium on many game days)? 
  • Would reselling any unused tickets be viewed negatively since they might detract from gameday walk-up sales? (I would give some away, but don't know tons of people in Hali)

Apologies if these questions are hopelessly naive.  Rest assured, the questions come from a good place.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Okay, so I am in PEI and contemplating the same thing.  I could catch a few games each summer, but that would be about it.  So a few questions for the Wanderers supporters here?

• Would someone like me buying up a seat that would be empty for some (and potentially quite a few) games be viewed as a positive (helping to fund the team at the outset) or a negative (one less person in the stadium on many game days)? 
  • Would reselling any unused tickets be viewed negatively since they might detract from gameday walk-up sales? (I would give some away, but don't know tons of people in Hali)

Apologies if these questions are hopelessly naive.  Rest assured, the questions come from a good place.

I don't see anything wrong with reselling the tickets for the games you can't attend or give away. It puts people in the seats that will buy stuff which in turn helps the club make more money. Cheers.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sounds like the two of you should just share season tickets...

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Last year I hada pair of season tickets for KW United, which was about 2.5 hours away from me. I only went to 3 games but I donated the rest to the supporters group as "bring a friend" tickets to introduce more people to the club. With the deal on these tickets maybe that could be an option for you.

I know im considering the same for York or Hamilton depending on who has a nicer kit ;)

Edited by Alex D

On 10/14/2018 at 2:22 PM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Hammond from the open trials just tweeted this. I wonder if he's signed or invited to the training camp.

Fellow trialist Aaron Hooper also posted this. 

Serious money on neither of them playing in the league. This is just twitter optimism

On 10/19/2018 at 11:46 AM, dyslexic nam said:

If you're up for it, you could donate the unused tickets to the supporters group, and they can find someone to take them.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:39 PM, Complete Homer said:

Hooper already posted something along the lines of "I'll be back at it" or something, probably indicating an unsuccessful trial

I mean... without deflating too much wind from his sails if you look at this guys twitter he has a less than ideal soccer physique. 

1 hour ago, xman14 said:

I mean... without deflating too much wind from his sails if you look at this guys twitter he has a less than ideal soccer physique. 

Apparently he tore his acl and put on a bunch of weight during his recovery. Not an uncommon issue among athletic guys are used to eating a diet that matches their activity level then get injured long term 

He's clearly passionate, I hope he keeps at it 

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

For the unused season tickets: we created a FB group for our section in MTL where people can buy/sell their ticket(s). No intermediary.

Thanks! I've been looking into setting up some sort of ticket exchange thing for folks in here in Halifax. A FB group is certainly an easy way to do it. I know the Midnight Riders in New England just make a thread on their main FB group for each home game where folks can trade/sell tickets.