Jump to content
Rheo

HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, HfxCeltic said:

He was more interested in the snacks he doesn’t usually get to eat,  but he seemed interested and that will likely grow as he gets older.

Nice one. I have a 4 year old who I plan to bring with me to Forge games next year, so I was interested to hear how your boy got on. 

It’s exciting to think about all of the kids who are going to get to grow up supporting a local Canadian team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a great experience for fans and a great game to boot yesterday.  Hopefully we'll see a nice boost in Halifax Wanderers membership sales this week with a lot of locals realizing how much fun a professional soccer experience can be.

 Kudos to Privateers 1882 for helping take that experience to another level! Wish it would have been streamed somewhere so the rest of us could have watched.  

The news that Shaffelburg looked good is really exciting as well.  Looking forward to having another blue chip Canadian NCAA prospect in a big program to follow this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Shaffelburg sounds special.. I wonder if HFX has made an offer?  I know he’s committed to UV but things change.. especially after the buzz of last night.  

Was reading he was first team all American high school and his PDL numbers were freakish.. 5 goals and a couple assists in his first 118 minutes.  That’s just insane. 

How did he not get a shot with our u17 team?  He’s gotta get a chance for the u20s. 

Edited by Keegan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

This Shaffelburg sounds special.. I wonder if HFX has made an offer?  I know he’s committed to UV but things change.. especially after the buzz of last night.  

Was reading he was first team all American high school and his PDL numbers were freakish.. 5 goals and a couple assists in his first 118 minutes.  That’s just insane. 

How did he not get a shot with our u17 team?  He’s gotta get a chance for the u20s. 

He played with TFC 3 a summer or two ago.

He was training at New England Revolution a short while back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

It was an awesome time! Düsseldorf controlled the play for the first 10-15 mins pretty handily. Seemed the Halifax players were having a hard time adjusting to the pace and it was pretty clear they’d only been playing together for a week.

Ibrahim Sanoh scored a beauty to tie it at 1-1. Outpaced 2 Düsseldorf players down the wing with the ball at his feet, then cut back towards the corner of the six when a Düsseldorf defender slid in to block his shot. Slotted home a left footed effort in the bottom near post corner.

Jacob Shaffleburg drew 2 yellows/a red from the Düsseldorf RB within 10 mins of coming on as a 2nd half substitute. Düsseldorf were down to 10 men with about 20 mins to go. Shaffleburg received a cross field ball into open space about 35 yards from goal, controlled the ball and directed it towards goal with his chest 1-touch, then ripped a left footer into the near post top corner off the underside of the bar. This kid is damn good. Could definitely see him as CPL capable, if not better.

Halifax GK’s made some really key saves on some clear chances by Düsseldorf. Oxner was named MOTM.

Went to a shootout after the 2-2 FT. Halifax won 5-4, with Oxner making an impressive save. Shaffleburg scored the last kick of the shootout with some solid composure for an 18 year old kid.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the quality of the Halifax squad. It was shakey in the beginning, but once they settled the nerves they more than held their own against a young and skillful Düsseldorf squad.

Said it before and will said it again. Those kids left everything on the pitch. They are hungry at a shot for CPL. This league will better than anticipated.

The league is a golden opportunity for so many guys, surrounding them with good internationals and we'll have a good league guys 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soccerpro said:

He played with TFC 3 a summer or two ago.

He was training at New England Revolution a short while back.

Also played a friendly for Bethlehem steel at 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Said it before and will said it again. Those kids left everything on the pitch. They are hungry at a shot for CPL. This league will better than anticipated.

Based on a single game against, with all do respect an U19 team without the most promising players (as the Regionalliga West started this weekend)? I mean, great that there was a good atmosphere and all, but I wouldn't read too much into the result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Based on a single game against, with all do respect an U19 team without the most promising players (as the Regionalliga West started this weekend)? I mean, great that there was a good atmosphere and all, but I wouldn't read too much into the result. 

That's a very "Canadian" response. Regardless, not many thought they'd compete the way they did.

How about celebrating their performance and build on that instead of instantly put ourselves down and minimizing things? 

Starting to admire that American swagger that clearly missing in these parts. Better than anticipated doesn't mean CPL would win CCL...so quick to put ourselves down...my god. 

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just keepin' it real. I don't know if you read this board a lot, but there tends to be a lot of hype. Exactly the opposite of what you state.

For instance Verhoeven was supposed to be one of the brightest prospect in USL. Well, he has barely played a game since. That's not the end of the world and who knows where his ceiling lies, but just to point out all the hype you read here ain't worth sh^t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Just keepin' it real. I don't know if you read this board a lot, but there tends to be a lot of hype. Exactly the opposite of what you state.

For instance Verhoeven was supposed to be one of the brightest prospect in USL. Well, he has barely played a game since. That's not the end of the world and who knows where his ceiling lies, but just to point out all the hype you read here ain't worth sh^t. 

I'm just congratulating the team, the players performance and saying the league won't be the crap some people are trying to imply.

Not once I said they would all make the HFX squad (maybe 1 or 2 will). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Not once I said they would all make the HFX squad (maybe 1 or 2 will). 

And that is also what someone from the Wanderers had already stated. I forget exactly who or where I read it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very encouraging turnout, but getting people to turn up15 times a season is a different challenge from getting people to check out a one-off event that you can market for a few weeks in advance. There's still a lot of work for them to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's a very encouraging turnout, but getting people to turn up15 times a season is a different challenge from getting people to check out a one-off event that you can market for a few weeks in advance. There's still a lot of work for them to do.

Somebody always has to harsh the buzz.   NARC NARC!!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's a very encouraging turnout, but getting people to turn up15 times a season is a different challenge from getting people to check out a one-off event that you can market for a few weeks in advance. There's still a lot of work for them to do.

Don't know about you but these people don't look like they needed to be dragged out of bed, chained to cars and cuffs to those seats. 

They seemed pretty happy and willing to be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hoping we can get Shaffleburg signed. I think we'll probably see Gaudet, Craig and maybe a keeper signed from this squad as well. Depth signings, keep costs low and is good for the local image. With the way the rosters look like they're going to be built, Halifax is at a disadvantage when it comes to the local pool, so we probably need to get these guys signed as depth. As far as players who might make more of an impact and have more potential, Sanoh, Dolo and Shaffleburg would be exciting signings for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BradMack said:

Really hoping we can get Shaffleburg signed. I think we'll probably see Gaudet, Craig and maybe a keeper signed from this squad as well. Depth signings, keep costs low and is good for the local image. With the way the rosters look like they're going to be built, Halifax is at a disadvantage when it comes to the local pool, so we probably need to get these guys signed as depth. As far as players who might make more of an impact and have more potential, Sanoh, Dolo and Shaffleburg would be exciting signings for me. 

Has Mozzi Gyorio resurfaced out east in recent years? As a guy with Atlantic connections and a lot of pro experience (who is still under thirty) he may have something to offer a young team of emerging Maritimers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, nolando said:

Has Mozzi Gyorio resurfaced out east in recent years? As a guy with Atlantic connections and a lot of pro experience (who is still under thirty) he may have something to offer a young team of emerging Maritimers.

He is living here in PEI.  I just got an email through the local club for training and development opportunities that he is offering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Somebody always has to harsh the buzz.   NARC NARC!!!!  

Somebody remembers what happened with the London Lasers, who had similar friendly games the summer before launch that drew considerably better than most regular season games did the following year. A good sign for the future would be a large spike in memberships sales over the next week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Somebody remembers what happened with the London Lasers, who had similar friendly games the summer before launch that drew considerably better than most regular season games did the following year. A good sign for the future would be a large spike in memberships sales over the next week or so.

I remember lots of bad things, sometimes i keep them to myself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I remember lots of bad things, sometimes i keep them to myself.  

Worth noting that the message that started this began with:

12 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's a very encouraging turnout, ...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next soccer related event at Wanderers Grounds is a university double header (womens then mens) between Dalhousie and Saint Mary's on September 7. Tickets go on sale for members on August 4 and the general public on August 7 - no idea what pricing will look like but 1 ticket will get access to both games. I really hope they don't overprice this event; would definitely be a bad look. Also, seems to be in line time wise with frosh week; hopefully that doesn't create issues. I don't think I'll be going to this one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Next soccer related event at Wanderers Grounds is a university double header (womens then mens) between Dalhousie and Saint Mary's on September 7. Tickets go on sale for members on August 4 and the general public on August 7 - no idea what pricing will look like but 1 ticket will get access to both games. I really hope they don't overprice this event; would definitely be a bad look. Also, seems to be in line time wise with frosh week; hopefully that doesn't create issues. I don't think I'll be going to this one.  

I wouldn't doubt that this is a conscious decision to coincide with frosh week and get the university crowd more interested in the field/team/league. A lot of students tend to stay and work in Halifax over the summer, so getting them excited right from the get-go about going to a match down at Wanderers Grounds sounds like a good approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steven Sandor’s article on the11.ca (if you want to go check it out)

Surveyed Sever al Canadian pros about coming back home 

(Salary, Which team you want to play for, contract guarantees and travel) 

One of the things that was brought up was: Money in the sense that for example 50K in Toronto isn’t the same as 50K in Other parts of Canada 

With Stephen Hart as coach of Halifax, there’s a good chance he’ll be attracting some former CanMNT players into his squad 

There’s not a lot of players that come from Nova Scotia or the Atlantic for that matter so if an Ontario guy goes to Calgary or Winnipeg it’s not “coming home”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...