Coaches Speculation

A lot of fairly obvious choices for coaching hires so far.  Any guesses out there as to Forge FC possibilities?

Obviously my dream hire is Marc Dos Santos but that is obviously unlikely.  I think I'd rather ultimately see him get a head coaching position in MLS anyway.

Could we steal Jason Bent away from TFC?  Anyone aware of qualified Canadian candidates (with or without Hamilton connections)?

According to the Times Colonist this morning Riley O'Neill is a top candidate for Pacific FC. The article did mention that there were 3-4 candidates being looked at and they probably wouldn't hire until the fall. 

On 7/21/2018 at 1:07 PM, toontownman said:

What I actually came in to post was if it's possible to start a sticky on the first page (first post) with all the currently announced head coaches for each team? We know a few now right?

If you just want the list and don't care about the location, you could just bookmark the league Wikipedia page. It's got a table with the teams, stadiums, and coaches, with other info too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Premier_League

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to Pacific FC announcing their head coach on monday

Forge FC will do the same next month 

meaning coaching staffs will likely be completed way ahead of the player aquasition stage 

And that the 8th team (Ottawa *Cough Cough*) still needs to be announced So that everyone is on an even field according to Rob Gale 

Positive Signs 

Long Ways to go until April 2019, but everything is being done very precisely so that the league can give the best first impression 

Guess it will be the end of the road for Nikola Popovic, if Ottawa as seems highly likely make the move? Not sure having domestic coaches only is a good move, especially when there is a coach in place who has been doing a good job with a heavily Canadian roster rather than relying mainly on imports like Colin Miller did at FCE in an NASL context.

11 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Guess it will be the end of the road for Nikola Popovic, if Ottawa as seems highly likely make the move? 

Hope he stays, after all of they move into the CPL with a good amount of players then chemistry is important 

After all what he’s done this season with Ottawa is very positive 

Taken them to a playoff spot with a roster of majority canadians 

I cant see why Ottawa would can popovic just to have a CDN coach. We all want as much CDN content as possible right from ball boys up to top end management, but there isnt a need to make a change like that.  But if spots open up I would expect them to give CDN guys a long hard look first.   I'd like to see 8 CDN starting keepers as well, but if we dont it wont be the end of the world.  

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Should we read into anything into the fact that Nick Dasovic seems to have disappeared from TSN Whitecap broadcasts? 2nd game in a row that Paul Dolan is there instead.

He is a BC boy after all, so he wouldn't be a bad fit for Victoria.

• 8 months later...

Besides Silberbauer, all of the coaches hired had some sort of connection to their local market. I wonder if that trend will continue after a few years.

With Koch getting fired in Cincinnati, I think you would have to put him at the top of the list of contenders to fill the first coaching vacancy. Originally I thought he might consider CPL too much of a step down after getting a taste of MLS, but given that his reputation is taking a real hit, even more so after some of the comments in the Athletic article, he may have to rebuild his coaching credentials.

Posted this in another thread...

Koch getting dumped on by anonymous former players in this article in the Athletic.
"He doesn't have an identity"
"It was difficult and chaotic playing for him"
"His incompetence really came out in big games"
"Watching Cincinnati play in 2018 was a soul crushing experience". 
https://theathletic.com/967261/2019/05/08/seeds-of-alan-kochs-firing-were-sown-early-in-fc-cincinnatis-usl-tenure/?source=dailyemail

Those are some absolutely brutal quotes. Strange to read, as I had heard nothing but good things about him. I thought he did a great job at WFC2.

On a slightly unnecessary darker and less positive line of thought in rightfully optimistic times... what kind of shell life do we think managers have at our current CPL clubs? Likewise with players really. Surely with it being ground zero the clubs have invested in these coaches and players to a lesser degree for at least 3-5 years? 

Barring incidents, life occurence and disasters surely there has to be a short term honor to give coaches time to build the clubs with the vision they brought and got them hired. At the same time if it's not panning out how soon is too soon lol. 

16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

On a slightly unnecessary darker and less positive line of thought in rightfully optimistic times... what kind of shell life do we think managers have at our current CPL clubs? Likewise with players really. Surely with it being ground zero the clubs have invested in these coaches and players to a lesser degree for at least 3-5 years? 

Barring incidents, life occurence and disasters surely there has to be a short term honor to give coaches time to build the clubs with the vision they brought and got them hired. At the same time if it's not panning out how soon is too soon lol. 

I was thinking about this too. I would set the over-under on a coach being fired at 1.5 seasons. I don't see anybody being dismissed this year no matter how poor the results, for all of the reasons you mentioned. Plus, things seems to be pretty even for the most part.