Coaches Speculation

I’m fine with American coaches so long as they’re qualified.. for instance if youre going to hire one they should be experienced like Kinnear not Landon Donovan.. we have plenty of former players with zero head coaching experience. 

Two more Canadian names to throw in the mix: Marc Bircham and Tomasz Radzinski.  Kenny Stamatopolous has been coaching in Sweden (goalkeepers). .. would be cool to see him as player/coach Reggie Dunlop style ditto to Iain Hume. 

Edited by Keegan

3 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Im cool with not all the coaches being Canadian but not at the extent of them being American! FUCK NO! I would like to see some Latin American coaches, as I think it would breed a different style and philosophy than what some of the Canadian coaches would bring.

I'd like to see Latin coaches too but I think we're more likely to see Americans get picked ahead of them especially in the early days of the league.

32 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Dominic Kinnear or Frank Yallop.....

There's 6 teams without coaches, more than enough Canadian coaches with experience before going to the American ones. 

This league is for Canadians by Canadians right?

Do the experienced Canadians have a solid enough CV or are we just hiring hiring them for the sake of hiring them?

Look I think year one they should be hiring 5/6 Canadians to fill the coaching roles (the 6th being Hart) but if one was to hire an ex-MLS American coach I would have no issue.

In addition I don't get why people want to have seemingly no Americans in the CPL (I've posted in the past about how I think there will be a larger number of Americans than Latins in it and seen aggressive backlash for it), especially in the early days. The league needs people to make it happen and be successful and there are more than enough Americans out there to help.

Just regarding the "for Canadians by Canadians" comment there, this league is going to benefit all of CONCACAF.

Edited by matty

35 minutes ago, matty said:

I'd like to see Latin coaches too but I think we're more likely to see Americans get picked ahead of them especially in the early days of the league.

Lets hope American Latin then lol.

Do the experienced Canadians have a solid enough CV or are we just hiring hiring them for the sake of hiring them?

My comparison was Frank Yallop vs Dominic Kinnear, both have similar CVs.

Or Jay Heaps vs Nick Dasovic, or Bob Lilley vs Alen Marcina. 

For me, the argument will always be thete when it comes to the Canadians over the Americans. Unless it's a Porter style, but like I said those kind of coaches aren't coming to the CPL.

Look I think year one they should be hiring 5/6 Canadians to fill the coaching roles (the 6th being Hart) but if one was to hire an ex-MLS American coach I would have no issue.

I would if the coach has subpar CV.

In addition I don't get why people want to have seemingly no Americans in the CPL (I've posted in the past about how I think there will be a larger number of Americans than Latins in it and seen aggressive backlash for it), especially in the early days. The league needs people to make it happen and be successful and there are more than enough Americans out there to help.

successful and there are more than enough Americans out there to help.

Just regarding the "for Canadians

Just regarding the "for Canadians by Canadians" comment there, this league is going to benefit all of CONCACAF.

For me if it's the good ones, then cool. If it's the Ben Spencers then fuccckk that.

TBH as we've seen with Babouli, Telfer, Edwards, Kaye,  etc....

These teams need to do the right scouting coast to coast to find more of those unseen players.

2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Dominic Kinnear or Frank Yallop.....

There's 6 teams without coaches, more than enough Canadian coaches with experience before going to the American ones. 

This league is for Canadians by Canadians right?

Yes but is developing one Canadian coach instead of 15 Canadian players worth it to you?  If it’s a Canadian who isn’t up to snuff I think we’d rather have a foreigner who can help our players and quality of the league.

There are going to be players and people from all over in this league and so be it - it’s all positive.  I wouldn’t mind Americans filling spots and making our league better - to take a Canadians spot they’ll have to earn it so no worries.  

Edited by Keegan

Like a Carlos Bocanegra? I'd prefer him in a exec role.

My comparison was Frank Yallop vs Dominic Kinnear, both have similar CVs.

Or Jay Heaps vs Nick Dasovic, or Bob Lilley vs Alen Marcina. 

For me, the argument will always be thete when it comes to the Canadians over the Americans. Unless it's a Porter style, but like I said those kind of coaches aren't coming to the CPL.

How about say Mark Watson vs. Pablo Mastroeni? While I don't see many high profile coaches coming in I do think there are coaches with better experience stateside often than here (sadly). CPL will fix that but for the time being it's something to factor in.

I would if the coach has subpar CV.

What is sub-par to you? Having been a head coach for several seasons with a meh record or having never held a senior HC role in a top flight (as is the case with like 70% of our guys)? Jesse Marsch had a pretty sub-par record then he got the job with NYRB and now people dream of him coaching Canada or start rumours about him heading to Europe.

For me if it's the good ones, then cool. If it's the Ben Spencers then fuccckk that.

TBH as we've seen with Babouli, Telfer, Edwards, Kaye,  etc....

These teams need to do the right scouting coast to coast to find more of those unseen players.

It'll likely be a mix of Spencers and MLS journeyman types for a while if it does happen. Like gutting L1O would be worse for the league's image sadly and set back a lot of development. Those role guys will be useful for a while.

Fully agree but before they can properly do that western and East Coast D3s need to pop up.

Edited by matty

Gonna make a prediction assuming 6 teams that are not Ottawa or Edmonton and that Cavalry FC (god they fucked that up it seems with name already with a team owning the Google slot) is coached by Tommy Wheeldon and Winnipeg by Rob Gale

- Stephen Hart
- Bobby Smyrniotis
- Carmine Isacco
- Julian de Guzman

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why Carmine Isacco and Nick Dasovic tend to get a mention given they lasted about 5 minutes at TFC, while in contrast Jason Bent usually gets overlooked in threads like this despite the way he has hung in there for a decade now through so many front office and head coaching changes. He must be doing something right.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not sure why Carmine Isacco and Nick Dasovic tend to get a mention given they lasted about 5 minutes at TFC, while in contrast Jason Bent usually gets overlooked in threads like this despite the way he has hung in there for a decade now through so many front office and head coaching changes. He must be doing something right.

I didn’t realize he was ever with TFC. Is his Wikipedia page accurate in saying he was a GK coach 10 years ago?

If we are talking about Carmine Isacco at this point, I forget his exact job title but that would make sense given he was a goalkeeper as a player. He was definitely with TFC during the 2007 season. In contrast with Stuart Neely, I think he never subsequently got back in again at the academy team level after leaving when TFC management changed and there were hiring decisions being made reasonably regularly by new people with different ideas, which suggests he consistently hasn't been rated as worth hiring or keeping on at a genuinely pro level organization unlike Jason Bent. There may be an explanation related to having a career outside soccer he preferred to focus on, but if I was hiring in a CanPL context that would be a bit of a red flag for me and I'd definitely want to know why. In addition to Jason Bent, I suspect Chris Pozniak is another that is likely to get a chance at being the head coach rather than an assistant in CanPL terms.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:47 PM, Keegan said:

Yes but is developing one Canadian coach instead of 15 Canadian players worth it to you?  If it’s a Canadian who isn’t up to snuff I think we’d rather have a foreigner who can help our players and quality of the league.

There are going to be players and people from all over in this league and so be it - it’s all positive.  I wouldn’t mind Americans filling spots and making our league better - to take a Canadians spot they’ll have to earn it so no worries.  

We need more coaches as well as players, maybe even more so.  Look what Dos Santos has been able to do for CDN players once he got his foot in the door.  Pasher/Didic/macleod at Swope Park, all the CDN with Sacremento, and now a strong CDN flavor to LAFC where he is an assistant.  Why should we always have to rely on foreign coaches??  Look at the low experience americans that step right into MLS jobs (Kreis,Curtain, vanney, Vermes, Friedel, Olesen etc), why cant we take a flyer on some of our guys and let the cream rise to the top.  The same principle that applies for players should apply with management, coaches, trainers, refs etc etc right on down the line.  

I'm not against other nationalities but why cant OUR league do what other leagues do and make sure CDN get first shot at all the jobs, to bring all aspects of the game along.  if most of us think the league will be roughly USL quality to start with I find it hard to believe that there isnt 8 CDN coaches out there that dont deserve a shot.  Bent, DEGUZ, Stalteri, Marcina, Gale, Onstad, Mckenna, Pozniak along with all the others mentioned previously. Of course we'll have all sorts of coaches and stars in the league, but I sure hope every chance id given to CDN talent first.  

I'll mention someone I know, thinking of various roles. One is Srdjan Djekanovic, who after retiring  in 2010 from Impact ended up coaching as an assistant at UBC, and then head coach at Kwantlen University in Richmond for a few years, until they cut out their athletics programs. He has coached youth as well. He is perfectly qualified to be an assistant or goalkeeper coach. The first player to play for all three Canadian teams, whether Caps in USL or the others in MLS.

I would imagine we have quite a few people like this, with some experience on a university or semi-pro level, but with extensive pro experience as players. We have to know what it means to develop coaching staff as well, IMO:

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:15 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If we are talking about Carmine Isacco at this point, I forget his exact job title but that would make sense given he was a goalkeeper as a player. He was definitely with TFC during the 2007 season. In contrast with Stuart Neely, I think he never subsequently got back in again at the academy team level after leaving when TFC management changed and there were hiring decisions being made reasonably regularly by new people with different ideas, which suggests he consistently hasn't been rated as worth hiring or keeping on at a genuinely pro level organization unlike Jason Bent. There may be an explanation related to having a career outside soccer he preferred to focus on, but if I was hiring in a CanPL context that would be a bit of a red flag for me and I'd definitely want to know why. In addition to Jason Bent, I suspect Chris Pozniak is another that is likely to get a chance at being the head coach rather than an assistant in CanPL terms.

Shoddy research you've done.  A suggestion that 'it raises a bit of a red flag'.  You imply like a job resume that finding a missing time period suggests a prison term.  

If doing a brief search on Wikipedia doesn't reveal all the head coaching he's done with CPSL and L1O teams over the years, then a Google search reveals that at the same time he also held head coaching jobs at York University since 2007 for both men and women's teams.  

here you go Mr Lazy:    http://yorkulions.ca/coaches.aspx?rc=815&path=msoccer   

And I also think Jason Bent and Chris Pozniak are deserving of CPL offers as well.  

Edited by Rocket Robin

On 6/1/2018 at 2:37 AM, Jahinho Guerro said:

Isn't Stephen Hart apparently coach of HFX?

There is an obscure reference to a quote from him on the Wanderers website.

Here: http://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/technical-philosophy

It currently says "Former Men's National Team Head Coach". It previously (mistakenly?) said "Club President" or something like that. Hart is definitely involved in some capacity... I don't think we quite know how yet. Certainly no official announcement. 

37 minutes ago, Copes said:

There is an obscure reference to a quote from him on the Wanderers website.

Here: http://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/technical-philosophy

It currently says "Former Men's National Team Head Coach". It previously (mistakenly?) said "Club President" or something like that. Hart is definitely involved in some capacity... I don't think we quite know how yet. Certainly no official announcement. 

The Hart thing was claimed to be a mistake they fixed right after people saw it, https://the11.ca/halifax-wanderers-come-on-board-but-you-can-put-a-lid-on-the-stephen-hart-rumours/

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2018 at 9:15 PM, matty said:

I like it. Let's appoint the last 8 Canadian managers for the first 8 club's and the winner of the first season gets to slap it out in a playoff with Herdman to manage Canada.