Coaches Speculation

As the CanPL teams get announced, it will be soon time to fill out the rosters.  Let's start with coaches (and/or managers and/or technical directors and/or general managers). [players will come later]

One thread was suggesting Steven Hart for Halifax.  Would Tommy Wheeldon Jr. be an easy pick for Calgary?

One thought was will we see local coaches move to these pro teams or would we see other coaches brought in?  The return of Aron Winter and Bob de Klerk? I noticed Andrea Lombardo is assistant coaching for Vaughan Azzurri.  

29 minutes ago, Kent said:

Guys I hope to get a coaching job in CPL. Carmine Isaaco, Bobby Smyrniotis, Marc Dos Santos, and what the heck, Arsene Wenger.

MDS has always said that his next career goal is to become manager of the CMNT. If his current gig at LAFC doesn't eventually get him a head coaching role in MLS, CPL would easily be the next best route, and with his pedigree I'm sure he'd get a lot of interest.

BC - Mark Watson, Nick Dasovic, Pat Onstad, Frank Yallop
Hamilton - Paul Stalteri
Winnipeg - Marc Bircham
Edmonton - Jeff Paulus, Colin Miller
Halifax - Stephen Hart, Ante Jazic
York 9 - Carmine Isacco, Paul Peschisolido
Ottawa - Marc dos Santos, Mauro Biello
Calgary - Tommy Wheeldon Jr., Kevin McKenna, Martin Nash

Edited by deschamp86

37 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Hamilton - Paul Stalteri
Winnipeg - Marc Bircham

Did anyone catch Pesch on the sportsnet soccer broadcast lately??  Maybe he has been on there regularly but I first noticed him lately and the "tin-foil hat" part of my brain woke up.  All I could think of is that he is back either as an investor in a new team or interviewing for a management job.  Then the BBTB part of my brain kicked in and thought he is probably here for a family birthday.  

If you want to hear speculation with a capital S. I'm not sure if anyone caught on a recent Caps broadcast Schaa pulled a pop quiz on Dasovic. It was who is the only other Sask born player to play in the MLS. When Schaad said Rob Friend there was a really awkward pause then Dasovic repeated the name with a real smirky tone. Now hearing Schaad is involved in some capacity with CPL it seemed an interesting almost ironic exchange 

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Hamilton - Paul Stalteri
Winnipeg - Marc Bircham

Curious as to why you have Martin Nash at Calgary and not BC? He grew up in Victoria and played for the Caps. 

When it comes to Halifax, the two names that stand out are Stephen Hart and Bruce Grobbelaar. Stephen of course is a Haligonian, and well loved in the soccer community here. It's a no-brainer that we would be in the conversation. Bruce is a Liverpool legend with something like 500+ appearances. He was the former goalkeeping coach at Ottawa, but has since left and is now without a club. He has stated his desire to be a head coach, and he lives in Newfoundland. Easy connection to make.

The other names that are on the outside possibility are The Jazic brothers, Ante and Alan. Ante of course had a successful pro career, playing in Croatia, Russia and MLS with the Galaxy (and Chivas), He coached one of the youth levels for Canada, so maybe coaching his hometown club is a possibility. His brother, Alan, coached Western Halifax to the most recent Challenge Cup trophy, and also coached Dalhousie's university team I think.

Alan was also tagged a lot in the early days of the Halifax CPL rumours. S|E|A would tag him in tweets and such, and I believe Derek Martin and Alan traveled to the MLS Cup in Toronto together. The Jazics are definitely involved in some capacity. Ante is married to Annemarie Dillard, whose family started the Dillard department stores in the states. That's a $6 billion business, so they've got cash. Ante is probably involved with the club at some level as well. They're not my first picks, but I think they'd be on the radar at least.

8 hours ago, garmc said:

Bruce is a Liverpool legend with something like 500+ appearances. He was the former goalkeeping coach at Ottawa, but has since left and is now without a club. He has stated his desire to be a head coach, and he lives in Newfoundland. Easy connection to make.

He has apparently moved to California now, according to a recent interview:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bruce-grobbelaar-roma-spaghetti-legs-14567410

I’m all for giving Canadian coaches a  opportunity, but I worry alittle that a unproven/unknown Canadian manager might not draw fans and players. I do hope the major of teams in the league have owners has some deep packets and they are willing to spend. The CPL can be huge. There are some pretty big names out there that haven’t had a job in a while. With some big name mangers, a few really really good players and a mix of Canadian players ( maybe some who are really really good bonus). The league is gonna catch fire! Here are some name out of list I saw. 

Ciro Ferrara

Frank de Boer

Cesare Prandelli

Laurent Blanc

Mauricio Pellegrino

Andries Jonker

Élie Baup

André Schubert

Thomas Tuchel

Alan Pardew

36 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I’m all for giving Canadian coaches a  opportunity, but I worry alittle that a unproven/unknown Canadian manager might not draw fans and players. I do hope the major of teams in the league have owners has some deep packets and they are willing to spend. The CPL can be huge. There are some pretty big names out there that haven’t had a job in a while. With some big name mangers, a few really really good players and a mix of Canadian players ( maybe some who are really really good bonus). The league is gonna catch fire! Here are some name out of list I saw. 

Ciro Ferrara

Frank de Boer

Cesare Prandelli

Laurent Blanc

Mauricio Pellegrino

Andries Jonker

Élie Baup

André Schubert

Thomas Tuchel

Alan Pardew

Personally, I think it depends on the team. A team like Hamilton has shown that they have big ambitions. For them, it makes sense to get a well known manager. Other teams like Edmonton or others (we don’t really know the teams) May have a more local focus. For teams like that, it may make sense to develop a local manager and players. It all depends on the culture of the team. I certainly hope Edmonton goes with Jeff Paulus, and Calgary goes with Wheeldon. It makes sense because they are guys who have proven themselves in the local market. It also seems like Edmonton and Calgary have a homegrown culture. 

Of course, this is all speculation as we don’t really know the culture of many teams other than Edmonton and Ottawa if they join.

I may be somewhat biased because I worked with him for a few years. But, I would like to see Mike Mosher, head coach of the UBC mens soccer program land a head coaching job in the CPL.  He's won the national title multiple times as a former player, and coach. Has managed a range of personalities in those squads, and he was played in the old CSL aswell. He also consistently out coached Alan Koch in derby matches between UBC and SFU, and now Koch is on his way to being a head coach of an MLS club within a year. Of course, Mosher has tenure now at UBC, so i imagine its unlikely he'll leave for the CPL. But, i think he would definitely be  strong candidate for any club to consider.

gonna guess hart, marcina, the dos santos bros., jdg, biello, yallop, watson, smyrniotis, isacco, findlay are gonna going to be talked to about gigs. would not be shocked to see floro or thordarson pop up. maybe some someone like rob earnshaw pops up.

i also think some recent mls/nasl coaches or some lower euro guys might try for spots but personally i think 100% CanCon for coaches is a must for year one.

in the end i see marcina, biello, smyrniotis, isacco, dos santos and jdg as the main front runners assuming brennan is mainly doing office with york, miller is done and stalteri sticks with the national program.

don't get why peschisolido keeps popping up unless brady and west ham are running a team.

Edited by matty

13 hours ago, Zem said:

He has apparently moved to California now, according to a recent interview:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bruce-grobbelaar-roma-spaghetti-legs-14567410

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that. so that  scratches him off the list then. For what it's worth, some friends of Hart say he is still contracted with Trinidad and Tobago, and is retiring from football. No word from the man himself though, so take that how you will.

Edited by garmc