York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

D39u1Z-WwAAzDkD.jpg

Looks like capacity has been downscaled quite a bit from 8000 judging by the size of those bleachers that will presumably sit on the athletic track. The gap between the 18 yard box and the sideline is not to scale unless they have been able to get rid of the long jump pits and widen the grass field considerably.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

D39u1Z-WwAAzDkD.jpg

Looks like capacity has been downscaled quite a bit from 8000 judging by the size of those bleachers that will presumably sit on the athletic track. The gap between the 18 yard box and the sideline is not to scale unless they have been able to get rid of the long jump pits and widen the grass field considerably.

That's all you take away from this...

They almost sell out their most expensive ticket seasons but who cares...

What's your opinion on the monstrosity called the Yankees Stadium?

That's the problem though isn't it...you claim to support the CPL and yet you put a negative spin on absolutely everything. You want the CPL to succeed but only if it follows your idea of how a league in Canada should be run...which of course involves the US system because in your eyes that is the only way we'll succeed. The CPL is happening...we are 2 weeks away. Just support it for fucks sake and stop being such an annoying cunt. Have you even bought any tickets or will you have some convenient excuse not to go?

On 4/12/2019 at 12:05 AM, Rocket Robin said:

I heard at the kit launch for York 9 FC in Newmarket that the supporters would be in the first three rows of the travelling section (I assume that means the Generation IX members).  That would look great on television but maybe not for the family groups of  York 9 traveling fans behind them if they are waving oversized flags the entire 90 minutes.  

Flags and banners should only be out pre-match. Once the game kicks off, all attention should be on the action on the pitch. 

20 hours ago, RS said:

Ok, grandpa.

I guess if wanting to see the actual game I paid to watch rather than the back of some dickhead's flag in front of me makes me old, I'm happy to wear it. Ask yourself what would happen to you if you tried to wave a flag on the Kop after the match kicked off. 

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

I guess if wanting to see the actual game I paid to watch rather than the back of some dickhead's flag in front of me makes me old, I'm happy to wear it. Ask yourself what would happen to you if you tried to wave a flag on the Kop after the match kicked off. 

Thankfully I don't measure the entirety of world football fandom against the Kop. There are several ways to support. Liverpool is not the be-all and end-all.

You said flags and banners should only be out pre-match, which may be fine for you, but having them out during the game has proven to work right here in Canada (with this very group). There's a middle ground between waving flags all game long and only using them before the match has started. I'm not surprised that the nuance is lost on you, though.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

Thankfully I don't measure the entirety of world football fandom against the Kop. There are several ways to support. Liverpool is not the be-all and end-all.

You said flags and banners should only be out pre-match, which may be fine for you, but having them out during the game has proven to work right here in Canada (with this very group). There's a middle ground between waving flags all game long and only using them before the match has started. I'm not surprised that the nuance is lost on you, though.

If you prefer to have a wank in the stadium while the match is on, which is basically what you're doing when you insist on waving your flag throughout the game, that says a lot more about you. Nobody is there to see you. They're there to see the players.

Flags, banners, and scarves are great before the match, or after, if the occasion warrants, but if you're not watching the game, why the hell are you there?

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you prefer to have a wank in the stadium while the match is on, which is basically what you're doing when you insist on waving your flag throughout the game, that says a lot more about you. Nobody is there to see you. They're there to see the players.

Flags, banners, and scarves are great before the match, or after, if the occasion warrants, but if you're not watching the game, why the hell are you there?

Who cares why they are there?  This is a juvenile response that is the equivalent of a having a wank on a message board.

Wank in a stadium with a flag > wank on a messageboard anyday.

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

Who cares why they are there?  This is a juvenile response that is the equivalent of a having a wank on a message board.

Wank in a stadium with a flag > wank on a messageboard anyday.

So, you're in the 'do whatever the fuck you feel like and to hell with how it negatively affects anyone else' camp? Good for you.

Isn't that why there are supporter sections now for this malarky? It can't be argued it creates atmosphere, it can be argued whether it's the best way to do it and the most beneficial. 

I remember going to my first roughriders game after moving over being fearful of not knowing some of the rules and how the game worked and being shown up for the amateur I was. Took 5 minutes to realise at least 50% of the crowd a) had no clue about the rule or what was going on in the game b) were there just to party and get drunk. It's why the crowd herding "cheer now" signs work so well to create atmosphere. As artificial as it comes and coming from the UK I hate that. It is effective. 

I understand the two lines of thought;

a) when you pay your hard earned money out to watch it's your right to enjoy the experience however you want.

b) You are there to support the team leave the antics until before or after, during half time or breaks, show the team you understand the play. 

I think there is a time and place and things like flags, drums/instruments (shudders - not really sold). Supporter areas do add to the atmosphere and can spur on the team but also add to the spectacle for cameras, new fans or people coming into the sport. As long as that is not impacting other peoples enjoyment I get it. If you don't like it you its like this forum, you don't have to read my stupid ass essays or react to them just ignore it or sit in a different section.   

I'm similar to SthMelbRed in enjoying watching and trying to analyze the game and joining in with chants etc. as the come. I wouldn't want to be waving flags around in the game and it would peeve me if it was happening around me and impeded my view. Again though keep it to certain sections or during certain periods of the match day, or simply sit in a section that doesn't happen when you book tickets. 

Both can create completely different atmospheres too. A whole stadium intently watching, seeing the play rise and drop in intensity, reacting to play and passes is a cool and unique unity of people. The Riders experience creates a fun party atmosphere but can take away from the game if overdone. 

Likewise they can affect the players differently. I'd think there is more pressure on the players shoulders and certainly more celebration when the fans are invested but that can also be too much for players sometimes. The party atmosphere might take a bit of weight of the players shoulders but also allow them to concentrate more?  

April 21, 2019 My game report on League 1 Ontario Oakville Blue Devils vs PLSQ A.S. Blainville exhibition game in Oakville. Includes interviews with coaches and players.

Only posted to this forum as it should interest York 9 FC fans as they will play Blainville in the first round of the Voyageurs Cup.

Any predictions for the game?! I know... we don’t really know much about the teams yet (no form, not even who is likely to start). My thoughts are these: there will be big pressure on both clubs as it’s the big inaugural match, but I think Forge will be under more pressure because they’re hosting, and they’ll not want to lose in front of an expectant home crowd. Regarding the rosters, honestly I can’t say which team has the edge. There are too many unknowns, but I will say that I think that there are a good number of York 9 FC players who for one or another reason didn’t work out at higher level clubs, but nevertheless are good players and are probably more experienced than many of the Forge guys. They’re probably hungry to show what they can really do. (I’m thinking of Gasparotto - Rangers, Aparicio - TFC, Porter - DCU, Di Chiara - wherever in the Russian league, and Telfer - TFC). 

I have no idea who is going to win really... but as a York 9 FC season ticket holder, I’ll make a totally unbiased prediction: 3-2 York 9 FC!