Which Canadian team plays the cleanest soccer?

Hawkguy

So I'm a Wolves fan. Never watched much MLS. Been starting to watch lately though. 

No one is replacing Wolves, and I always just assumed I would be a Toronto FC fan. They're closest to me. I bought a ball cap a few years back. But I still never really watched. Only Canada and English soccer with the odd Spanish and German games.

Anyway, since I've been watching, I've grown an extreme dislike for Giovinco. He's always whining. His dives are disgustingly ridiculous. It's made me not want to cheer for Toronto, even though I really like Osorio.

Does Vancouver or Montreal play a cleaner style? Or should I just keep my ballcap and support Toronto?

20 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

So I'm a Wolves fan. Never watched much MLS. Been starting to watch lately though. 

No one is replacing Wolves, and I always just assumed I would be a Toronto FC fan. They're closest to me. I bought a ball cap a few years back. But I still never really watched. Only Canada and English soccer with the odd Spanish and German games.

Anyway, since I've been watching, I've grown an extreme dislike for Giovinco. He's always whining. His dives are disgustingly ridiculous. It's made me not want to cheer for Toronto, even though I really like Osorio.

Does Vancouver or Montreal play a cleaner style? Or should I just keep my ballcap and support Toronto?

Sure Seba isn't the "cleanest" player, but when he is on form, he is the best player in the league. It also depends what you mean by "cleanest style". Tactically, we are one of the most (if not the most) tactically sound squads in MLS, our soccer IQ is second to none. Having quality DP's and  TAM players helps a lot for that kind of thing. We've also got a decent amount of CanCon, I believe that we finished with five Canadians on the pitch today versus Seattle. This year, Vancouver and Montreal (as much as it pains me to say this about the Impact) look like very strong squads, but IMO they have nothing on us in terms of quality players. So, if you're looking for quality and Canadian content, keep the ballcap. (And congrats to your Wolves for this season!)

Yes absolutely Giovinco has the worst attitude..tonight threw himself down plenty of times, always complaining and then smashes the ball away in the final minutes while his team is down and takes a yellow..no matter what his level or performance is, this attitude is unacceptable

11 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

Depends on what you mean by "clean". If you think whining constitutes dirty play (which is a new one on me, I have to say) then probably TFC whine to the Refs more than any other team in MLS, never mind Canada. IMO they didn't whine enough last night, they should have insisted the game-winning offside goal got reviewed by VAR (mind you, they tried this last week against Chicago, even kicking the ball back to the spot where the offside occurred and it still didn't help them one bit).

All of the Canadian, American MLS and USL and I'd say every team in the world has divers though so I don't think you'll get much joy there. Giovinco has also never been booked or fined for diving as far as I can recall (a Montreal player - ex TFC mind you - was fined for diving this week).

As for red cards even if you include the 8 Champions League games they played this year, TFC have fewer red cards (0) this season than either Montreal (who have at least one with Taider) and Vancouver (who have at least three, although one of these was a 2nd yellow for a player being an absolute moron rather than dirty (ie. Techera taking off his shirt on a PK goal celebration when he was already on a yellow).

Of course now that I've said this, watch TFC get two guys sent off this weekend against New England........

22 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Depends on what you mean by "clean". If you think whining constitutes dirty play (which is a new one on me, I have to say) then probably TFC whine to the Refs more than any other team in MLS, never mind Canada. IMO they didn't whine enough last night, they should have insisted the game-winning offside goal got reviewed by VAR (mind you, they tried this last week against Chicago, even kicking the ball back to the spot where the offside occurred and it still didn't help them one bit).

All of the Canadian, American MLS and USL and I'd say every team in the world has divers though so I don't think you'll get much joy there. Giovinco has also never been booked or fined for diving as far as I can recall (a Montreal player - ex TFC mind you - was fined for diving this week).

As for red cards even if you include the 8 Champions League games they played this year, TFC have fewer red cards (0) this season than either Montreal (who have at least one with Taider) and Vancouver (who have at least three, although one of these was a 2nd yellow for a player being an absolute moron rather than dirty (ie. Techera taking off his shirt on a PK goal celebration when he was already on a yellow).

Of course now that I've said this, watch TFC get two guys sent off this weekend against New England........

I guess I mean ... I don't know. Just Giivinco's constant whining and then giving the refs that smart ass thumbs up annoys me to no end. I was always the "sportsman like player." I had one moment of weakness in a volleyball game and booted the ball off the wall to myself at the end of a game. Aside from that, I can't think of anything.

Talking to the refs is fine. Being upset is fine.

Flopping and then whining and then being a smartass is not.

Oh and I also hate how Giovinco dives, stays on the ground while his team has to play a man short for a few moments. Just qualities I dislike.

I guess last night's petulance didn't help anyone's perception of whether he is a whiner or dirty player, that was a very stupid and selfish Red Card to take just when there might have been a glimmer of hope for an unlikely result!

• 6 months later...

Archived