MLS VAR

I think the problem with VAR in MLS is you get shitty refs reviewing plays and applying the law to the letter. If something technically qualifies for a red card no matter how borderline they call it. If a short guy shoves a tall guy and the tall guy's retaliatory shove hits the short guys face due the difference in height they call a red even though the red rule is really meant to stop punches to the face not shoves that accidentally hit the face due to height difference. A good ref calls things in relation to many factors like severity and intent and what were the actions of the other player. In every game there are so many infractions that could technically be red cards if the laws were applied very strictly that each team could be reduced to 5 players but a good ref will not call them that strictly and any ref good or bad will not see many of them because they don't have eyes everywhere. So with good refs who will call things sensibly and not just to strict rule interpretation I think VAR could work well. In MLS as frustrating as the calls were without the VAR, having VAR has just make the MLS refs even worse because their bad judgement was somewhat mitigated by them not being able to see everything and call everything by the book with no reference to common sense.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I think the key in this thread is that MLS refs suck. If you have Serie A, UCL or WC refs using VAR then it should be more effective.

Ought to be, but there seems to be a number of high-profile Italian clubs who would likely argue that the UCL refs aren't anything to get excited about either! ;)

21 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Ought to be, but there seems to be a number of high-profile Italian clubs who would likely argue that the UCL refs aren't anything to get excited about either! ;)

We'll send them some MLS refs for next season and see how they like that.

VAR would work great as follows:

The VAR alerts the ref he made have made a major mistake. While the ref is making  his way to the camera the VAR picks the best angle which depicts this mistake. The ref then has ONLY ONE look at the play. 

If the mistake was clear and obvious he will pick it up right away and make the correct call. If the mistake is not clear and obvious then play continues. Therefore if he can't tell by having a second look if someone was inches offside then don't call it. I feel like they spend alot of time trying to find their mistake which is what takes all the time.

47 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

VAR would work great as follows:

The VAR alerts the ref he made have made a major mistake. While the ref is making  his way to the camera the VAR picks the best angle which depicts this mistake. The ref then has ONLY ONE look at the play. 

If the mistake was clear and obvious he will pick it up right away and make the correct call. If the mistake is not clear and obvious then play continues. Therefore if he can't tell by having a second look if someone was inches offside then don't call it. I feel like they spend alot of time trying to find their mistake which is what takes all the time.

That would be interesting. It could cause even more problems. But it would solve the random red cards for slight elbows and stop the super tight offsides. Hopefully the MLS officials figure out how to use the VAR. But I still find it difficult to watch the games...

Brighton were just awarded a goal based on the EPL automated video goal system. The sensors judged the entire ball to have crossed the line and sent an alert to the refs watch. The linesman had missed it even though he was level with the goal line.

MLS refs have the North American ref syndrome of taking their sweet time over analyzing everything by the letter of the law.

We see it in the NFL with no one knowing what a catch is, CFL with non stop challenges before it was reduced, NHL with goalie interference and NBA with every unusual foul being looked at it to see if it was deliberate. You need some European sensibility vs thinking VAR is the answer to everything when it isn't. 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:57 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Italian Clubs don't think the Italian refs are good either, especially if you watched Inter v Juventus from last week.

Everybody all over the world thinks refereeing is poor, and that is because it is super hard to do! I will support any tools they can be given to try to get calls right as long as the disruption on the game is minimal.

I thought the ref in the Minnesota v Whitecaps game this morning was very good.

• 3 months later...
On 5/6/2018 at 1:40 AM, masster said:

Italian Clubs don't think the Italian refs are good either, especially if you watched Inter v Juventus from last week.

Everybody all over the world thinks refereeing is poor, and that is because it is super hard to do! I will support any tools they can be given to try to get calls right as long as the disruption on the game is minimal.

I thought the ref in the Minnesota v Whitecaps game this morning was very good.

Most fouls in soccer can be subjective.  

We are told that VAR is to be used to rectify “CLEAR AND OBVIOUS” error in decisions by the ref.   I agree with Greg Vanney when commenting on VAR.  He said, When is a call ever clear and obvious? 

The Pk call in yesterdays game in Atlanta was to me a CLEAR AND OBVIOUS error.  And yet,  The espn announcers thought it was the right call. 

Archived