Youth Teams Travel Rules

SpecialK

Buzz suggested I create a new thread so here it is. Everyone here should read this article if you haven’t already. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-soccer-fined-for-england-trip-1.4625265

a U12 girls team from ottawa went to England to play some games, now they are being fined because they broke Ontario soccer rules. 

I can’t believe shit like this happens! A team/club gets fined for taking kids to Europe to experience European football. Is Ontario Soccer Stupid ? How can they be so blind ?

I don’t know much about provincial rules, do other provinces have the same rules about kids travelling to other countries ?

Certainly doesn't look good. I wish they would have a comment from Ontario Soccer to try to explain why the rule exists. The only thing I could think of would be if this trip is without the parents (obviously they would know about it, but they might not be present) and if they don't have some minimum standard of adult supervision or something for a trip of that magnitude.

It's not clear why the rule exists (U12 teams and under can not make team trips of this magnitude), at least from the article. It's likely a safety or security rule, but it does come off as strange in this case.

What's funny is the level of disorganization this shows at these youth levels. The club informed a body governed by the OSA (EODSA), received a late 'notice of disapproval', took the trip anyway and just paid the fine, and now they're going through some sort of appeal. If basic issues like this can't be handled, it's no wonder why we can't organize CanMNT friendlies.

Wow ! Jason deVos has become a  corporate tool ! I thought he was gonna change the system! Why couldn’t he come out and just say change is need or something supportive of the team/club or to the players at least. No ! He gets in a fight on Twitter!  

I do give him  props though for coming on Twitter to say something, that’s kinda refreshing and  revolutionary for the CSA haha

E0F2E68B-5E8E-4FF7-BA73-28CBD585DB9D.jpeg

9E346097-C54F-4F30-A5CF-F023EF3346AE.jpeg

A24056F3-BD9B-4B51-A7E9-3E7F22965078.jpeg

6D8A0389-DF31-4940-A7AD-C9B0BC43CCEB.jpeg

26 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Wow ! Jason deVos has become a  corporate tool ! I thought he was gonna change the system! Why couldn’t he come out and just say change is need or something supportive of the team/club or to the players at least. No ! He gets in a fight on Twitter!  

I do give him  props though for coming on Twitter to say something, that’s kinda refreshing and  revolutionary for the CSA haha

I don't think him saying he doesn't know the whole story amounts to him being a corporate tool. If what Joey Calcio is saying is true then perhaps there is some truth to your "corporate tool" comment, depending on if something has happened or he has learned something to change his mind about OPDL.

And wait, I might be misremembering, but I thought he was for the OPDL. Might have even been his idea in part when he was on that committee (I want to call it TAC, maybe it's Technical Advisory Council or Committee?). He was against L1O because he thought it was too soon. He wanted OPDL to grow up to the adult ages and have that be L1O. So I thought he was always a proponent of OPDL. Am I wrong?

WRT to the OSU fine issue, while I don't know all the details, I will share a few thoughts:

• Why doesn't OSU just pay the fine? $400 is nothing to them (it is the minimum as stated in the article) - that's about 2 house leaguers or half a summer rep player. Now they are spending more on the appeal (unless there is also a suspension involved).
  • Their argument is that the rules do not properly define a "memorable event" (U12 is allowed two memorable events out of district, but soccer activities should adhere to LTPD guidelines (no scores/standings)).
  • The purpose of the rule (I think) is to prevent a) out-pricing kids who wouldn't be able to afford trips (some would argue that's happening anyway) and b ) soccer from becoming too serious, too soon - they are worried about U9 travel teams taking away school/other extra-curricular time.
  • Should the rule exist? Tough to say - if they had waited a year, they would have been fine. If it shouldn't exist, what is an appropriate restriction on travel for U12 and below (i.e., including U8/U6), if any?
  • Who knows what is the whole story? When did they submit their notice - one month ahead of time or six? Were they aware they might not get approval?
  • The interesting thing is that OSU was previously accused of getting a free pass on rule-breaking (see other thread if you remember) with their OPDP program that excluded certain academies and clubs. Perhaps they are being made an example of?

WRT to JdV, if I recall correctly, he was on the technical committee for OPDL, but was disappointed that the requirements made it difficult for academies. He seems to feel that OPDL is good and can be improved rather than some who say it should be dismantled (I believe his quote from the OSA summit address was something to the effect of "If OPDL fails, soccer in Canada fails"). Twitter critics feel that OPDL only benefits the consultants who designed it, ergo anyone who supports it is a sellout.

When it comes to football, it is patently obvious that the lunatics are running the asylum and this is just another example.

After over 100 years of organized football and what, 40 years of digital clocks, the idiots in charge have still not been able implement time keeping so that we all know when the match is over. A child could design such a system in a couple of hours: clock stops for all things that theoretically cause time to be added; and the match is over when the clock hits 90 mins. Done.

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

When it comes to football, it is patently obvious that the lunatics are running the asylum and this is just another example.

After over 100 years of organized football and what, 40 years of digital clocks, the idiots in charge have still not been able implement time keeping so that we all know when the match is over. A child could design such a system in a couple of hours: clock stops for all things that theoretically cause time to be added; and the match is over when the clock hits 90 mins. Done.

I think your beef is with IFAB, not Ontario Soccer.

This reminds me of an issue I had some time ago with an Under 14 boys rep team I was coaching, we entered a tournament in Connecticut, our first out of province one, no one including myself knew you needed a Permission to Travel form from the OSA for tournaments outside of Ontario! I found this out a few days before departure, we had rooms booked, a mini bus rented and a whole bunch of excited soccer players and their families, we were advised not to go without the permit which was supposed to be received no less than 60 days before departure! The Hamilton District Soccer Association did what they could and I ended up driving to the OSA office  the day before departure where they made an "exception" and fast tracked the approval, they were actually very good about it considering it was our mistake! We won the tournament btw!:)

While I don't necessarily agree with this rule, I do understand why it is in place - more or less what someone outlined above.  What I find ridiculous and hypocritical is that OSU doesn't seem to have an issue with the rule per se, but that the rule applies to them.  They have a history of questionable practices:

• a land deal with the City of Ottawa where they (or club executives) bought a piece of land, built a couple of soccer fields, then sold it to the city shortly thereafter for a profit of several hundred thousand dollars.  For some reason the transaction hasn't been investigated, but the city auditor simply rapped some people's knuckles over it. 
  • Threats to various facilities who rented field time to certain clubs/academies.
  • filing an appeal with the EODSA to try and prevent children who were registered with Ottawa Futsal Club from playing in the ERSL summer league (seriously).
  • starting a competing futsal league with a very similar website (one is futsalottawa.com and one is ottawafutsal.com) - they did this after they were unsuccessful in their bid to prevent the kids from OFC from competing in the summer league (I couldn't make this shit up).
  • ratting out a certain club for having played friendly games against another organization that clubs were instructed not to play against.
  • this is the sole youth club in the national capital region that does not participate in the Ottawa Fury's program where children can attend games for free.  The issue goes back to when the Fury used to run an elite youth program and OSU's executives saw the Fury as a threat to their personal incomes.  I've have parents tell me that they have been told they shouldn't be attending Fury games.
  • starting a rogue unsanctioned league in a bid to weaken the local U9 - U12 league so that they could try and poach players from a certain academy (hoping the parents from that academy would be unhappy with the level of play in what remains of the league).
  • offering free play to anyone who leaves the academy referred to in the previous bullet.

This is an organization that breeds a culture of disrespect and flouts rules they don't like and will do anything that might help their executives increase their billings to the club.  These are the last people who should be complaining about being treated unfairly.

Archived