Canada vs New Zealand - March 24, 2018 - Friendly - IN- & POST-match thread [R]

Rheo

10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Ummm...aren't you the person whining about Larin?

Whooooosh. Over your head, my friend.

As for Larin? I've just stated facts. I like Larin, hope he can find himself for our program eventually. Its no secret he looks mediocre for us when we play teams of similar or better quality. It's no secret (like many forwards) that his effort level after a turnover is low. Its no secret that most know Larin is capable of more. 

Maybe people just overrated what he can bring. Maybe he's a guy who needs all the right pieces in place to be great.

Or maybe he just needs to play on an empty pitch in international play and he may hit the net. ;)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

I'll second that comment about the stream commentator. He did a great job and you could really tell he cares about the NT. He was very knowledgeable. What's his name?

He’s a regular fixture w the CSA, on their payroll I believe. Yeah his commenting has improved and he has a lot of dedication. Would be great if they teamed him up w Mad Bull from Belize. 

4 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Some nice play, should be enough to silence the Herdman-ushers-in-apocalypse contingent for a little while.

Millar (obviously), Piette, Osorio, Kaye, Godinho all impressed me.

Wotherspoon, Akindele, Adekugbe had their moments.  Jakovic solid.

Nicely taken goal by Ricketts.

Larin, Osorio, and Millar probably should have scored one apiece.

I would add Edgar to the "impressed" list. Very composed and effective.

I also think that Ricketts is a little bit under appreciated on this board.

8 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Shout out to the stream commentator, who I thought did a very good job of striking the right balance between commentating on the action, and what I will call "background chat". Did say a few odd things though, like Ricketts "nudging" the ball home!

who was that commentator?.... solid post game interview also I found, wish mic worked for the Millar interview.  Maybe he or someone could recap millar's thoughts at some point

2 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

As for Larin? I've just stated facts. I like Larin, hope he can find himself for our program eventually. Its no secret he looks mediocre for us when we play teams of similar or better quality. It's no secret (like many forwards) that his effort level after a turnover is low. Its no secret that most know Larin is capable of more. 

Maybe people just overrated what he can bring. Maybe he's a guy who needs all the right places to be great.

Or maybe he just needs to play on an empty pitch in international play and he may hit the net. ;)

He had one giveaway near the centre circle, after the team did so well to play out of pressure, and he absolutely worked his tail off to try and get it back. I was happy to see that.

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Funny how the 3 guys who should have scored didnt, and good ole Ricketts goes reliable route 1 and scores when he was inviseable most of the day.  

Yep that’s Saint Ricketts for you: invisible then suddenly performs a miracle. Johnny on the Spot. Canada’s version of Pipo Inzaghi. Lol

11 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Would you like some cheese with your whine and salt? 

I prefer my cheese with a good stout.  Also prefer when people watch games objectively.  It can be fun to be a hater but clouds your vision. You end up watching whole games just looking for Larin to fail so you can comment.

Obviously Larin has been less effective for Canada, sometimes downright poor.  Larin is also one of our best prospects at striker.  Those 2 things can both be true at the same time.

Why not just enjoy watching the match?  Preferably with cheese and stout.

6 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Yep that’s Saint Ricketts for you: invisible then suddenly performs a miracle. Johnny on the Spot. Canada’s version of Pipo Inzaghi. Lol

haha so true!

maybe it's just me but I feel like a handful of our players would not have made the composed and clinical finish Ricketts made there. It was tidy, clean clinical finish.....as CMNT supporter I was expecting a shot right at the keeper, shot over the net or some miracle save. ...

so THANK YOU SAINT RICKETTS well done.

10 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Maybe people just overrated what he can bring. Maybe he's a guy who needs all the right pieces in place to be great.

Um, that does sound a lot like more whining... :D

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

Osorio is having a star turn this year. Breakout season potential in MLS and looked great for the national team too

I thought we would miss having Hutch, Arfield or Johnson etc in the middle, but Osorio did a very good job.  Was more involved in the offense in the first half, but steady all game.  Still a bit underwhelmed by Wotherspoon, but Obinna is right, my expectations for him were very high.  First game etc..but it was Millar and Godinhos first game as well.  They really took the baton and ran with it.  

Piette and Osorio have turned into solid players. Arguably the core of the team now imo. Millar has excellent dribbling skills. Larin's footwork has improved. Wasn't overly impressed by Wootherspoon, but adds depth to the team. Edgar made some poor passes, but probably expected after time off.

The defense is the biggest worry with this team going forward.

4 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Piette and Osorio have turned into solid players. Arguably the core of the team now imo. Millar has excellent dribbling skills. Larin's footwork has improved. Wasn't overly impressed by Wootherspoon, but adds depth to the team. Edgar made some poor passes, but probably expected after time off.

The defense is the biggest worry with this team going forward.

Yes, I think you can expect some argument there!

Game will rightly be highlighted for the impressive debut of Miller but that shouldn't completely overshadow what was a fantastic performance by both Osorio and Piette. Very mature and assured performances.

Mentions for Mark Anthony Kaye, Petrasso, Godinho and nice cameos from Edgar, Tesho and Edwards. 

James was Henry-esque from collossus to collapse. Can be great if he can cut out the lapses of concentration and errors that follow.

No surprises with Wotherspoon - he is going to contribute.

26 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I prefer my cheese with a good stout.  Also prefer when people watch games objectively.  It can be fun to be a hater but clouds your vision. You end up watching whole games just looking for Larin to fail so you can comment.

Obviously Larin has been less effective for Canada, sometimes downright poor.  Larin is also one of our best prospects at striker.  Those 2 things can both be true at the same time.

Why not just enjoy watching the match?  Preferably with cheese and stout.

How about none of us post on this forum in a game day thread again then? 

Last I looked, all my posts weren't about Larin (until since someone got butthurt by my comments). 

I was praising the great play of Piette and Millar. Praised how strong Edgar looked since he was rusty. 

Sorry though. From now on nothing but positivity. 

FLORO AND HART WERE THE GREATEST COACHES OF ALL-TIME. I WISH THEY WERE STOLL HERE. <3  

Archived