Canada vs New Zealand - March 24, 2018 - Friendly - IN- & POST-match thread [R]

Rheo

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hawkguy said:

Are you implying Larin ever looks good versus similar or better competition?

Larin wasn’t terrible today by any means. Had a few shots on target and the one he should have scored he was offside anyways. Hold up play still needs work but I saw a bit of improvement to be honest.

Canada actually looking very good overall. Piette is fantastic with his break-up play, tidying things up and distributing as he should. Osorio has really developed; playing with a lot more confidence and a bit of a swagger.

Wotherspoon looks like a true pro. This is a very good addition to our program. 

Still not convinced with Larin. Frustrating as we know we he can do at club level. 

Good to see Edgar playing again. He's given his all to the program and lets hope he finds a club soon. I think he looked pretty comfortable on the ball albeit a few poor giveaways. 

Already gushed about Millar. Very exciting.

Godinho looks good from the limited action we saw.

1 minute ago, Hawkguy said:

Are you implying Larin ever looks good versus similar or better competition?

I'm implying that Larin looked fine tonight.  Not great not bad.  Not sure why he signs with a big club and then becomes an object of ridicule all game. Obviously Besiktas and the other teams who sought him out see what you don't.  Best professional scoring resume of any player here.

1 minute ago, shorty said:

Actually not super impressed with Witherspoon other than the nice ball to Akindele. Lots of turnovers

I only counted 1. I think we should lower our expectations for him. Remember, when he was first rumoured we were in much worse shape from a talent perspective. That is why we were expecting him to come in and be a starter. We brought a lot of talented players in since then. I think he’ll be more of a Pacheco, which is fine.

2 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I'm implying that Larin looked fine tonight.  Not great not bad.  Not sure why he signs with a big club and then becomes an object of ridicule all game. Obviously Besiktas and the other teams who sought him out see what you don't.  Best professional scoring resume of any player here.

Would you like some cheese with your whine and salt? 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I only counted 1. I think we should lower our expectations for him. Remember, when he was first rumoured we were in much worse shape from a talent perspective. That is why we were expecting him to come in and be a starter. We brought a lot of talented players in since then. I think he’ll be more of a Pacheco, which is fine.

And to be fair he doesn't really know anyone yet, I get it. Most of the ones I saw were miscommunications, like the side foot just at the top of our 18. I commented right after he just ran straight into traffic though, which is just poor decision making

Shout out to the stream commentator, who I thought did a very good job of striking the right balance between commentating on the action, and what I will call "background chat". Did say a few odd things though, like Ricketts "nudging" the ball home!

Some nice play, should be enough to silence the Herdman-ushers-in-apocalypse contingent for a little while.

Millar (obviously), Piette, Osorio, Kaye, Godinho all impressed me.

Wotherspoon, Akindele, Adekugbe had their moments.  Jakovic solid.

Nicely taken goal by Ricketts.

Larin, Osorio, and Millar probably should have scored one apiece.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:01 AM, scullion44 said:

I'll second that comment about the stream commentator. He did a great job and you could really tell he cares about the NT. He was very knowledgeable. What's his name?

Gavin DayMax Bell.  There are many stories about his guerrilla-lone man-battlefield commentating on behalf on CanMNT.  He is a gem. 

1 minute ago, scullion44 said:

I'll second that comment about the stream commentator. He did a great job and you could really tell he cares about the NT. He was very knowledgeable. What's his name?

That would be Max Bell.

Somewhat ironic that Mr. Tactical Periodization's first game in charge sees the winner scored via good old fashioned route one!

Just now, shorty said:

Gavin Day. There are many stories about his guerrilla-lone man-battlefield commentating on behalf on CanMNT.  He is a gem. 

I actually follow him in Twitter and saw he's been posting a ton of updated but I had no idea he'd be commentating the game.

10 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Good to see Edgar playing again. He's given his all to the program and lets hope he finds a club soon. I think he looked pretty comfortable on the ball albeit a few poor giveaways.

Yes, comfortable on the ball and a pretty solid performance considering he hadn't played in a long time. The Montreal Impact probably still need another centre back. Wouldn't be surprised if they sign Edgar.

Archived