Canada vs New Zealand - March 24, 2018 - Friendly - IN- & POST-match thread [R]

Rheo

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very rough start. Some awful passes but most attributed to the wind. We grew right into the game and looked in control at times without really threatening though which is a slight worry. 

Osorio looked great imo

Miller was excellent.

Mark Anthony Kaye impressed me.

James had a horrific start but became much more dominant. 

Piette is his usual self sitting deep breaking up play. Also grew into the game. Top three/four were my standouts for the first half though. 

2 minutes ago, badname22 said:

What's everyone's HT thoughts?

For me, the sprinklers they just hooked up sum up this game pretty well. Facing the wind they are watering behind themselves. Expect we see a stronger half Canadas way after the break. 

From the limited sample I've seen of Millar, he looks like that special kind of player with the right footballing IQ that can take him places in world football. Not that "raw talent and ability" that can only take you so far (if thats all you have) but a certain approach to the game that is integral to go places and actually sustain a career in the best leagues. Fingers crossed and lets hope to see him keep progressing. Very exciting for a Canadian football fan. 

The lads grew into the game nicely. Osorio, MAK, Millar and Piette looking solid. Larin has had a few nice moments. Carried the play for about 20 or so minutes. And we are missing 5 or 6 starters, no?  (DeJong, Davies, Hutch, Hoillet, Arfield, Cava)  If MAK keeps improving like he has been, I'm not sure Will Johnson ever gets called back. Ricketts looks rusty as hell. Excited about this Millar kid

1 minute ago, cronaldo7 said:

From the limited sample I've seen of Millar, he looks like that special kind of player with the right footballing IQ that can take him places in world football. Not that "raw talent and ability" that can only take you so far (if thats all you have) but a certain approach to the game that is integral to go places and actually sustain a career in the best leagues. Fingers crossed and lets hope to see him keep progressing. Very exciting for a Canadian football fan. 

As somebody already said, imagine Millar on one wing and Davies on the other.  And Millar is only 19? Is that right?

Some exciting potential though with Miller and looking forward to seeing how Godinho does. Hopefully we will see wotherspoon later too. 

Adding Cavallini, Davies, hutch and even tiebert and Dejong among other notable absentees is an exciting prospect.

If only we didn't have to wait til LoN to see our best team together.

Fingers crossed for another friendly before then.

Bring on the second half.

In all seriousness, in this wind you can give poor execution a pass, but choices need to be good on and off the ball. I thought we didn't have enough coverage in cases where the fullbacks were pressing high and we almost got burned on the counter. That's not good enough when you know the wind is against you and that's NZs game. We did settle down after that, and it won't be as dangerous a problem with the wind at our backs. 

1 minute ago, Acid-Tone said:

Watching him?  Yes.

Deserving of a call up to the first team because of this cap?  No.  

Nobody said he deserves a call up. I said hopefully it helps him.  But yeah, you clearly know more then all of us about who deserves what.

Agree that if the front six the only one I would replace is Ricketts. Nice problem to have with so much talent not here (Arfield, Hoilett, Davies). Yay depth!

2 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Good prep work for a game in the Caribbean during hurricane season.

Just need crab-grass, potholes, and corner flags made from PVC bought at Benny's

Just now, The Ref said:

I am again surprised Larin is given a starting role.

He's had some nice moments, some good foot work, and has linked up well. Yeah, he should have finished his one (offside) chance, but I've seen some very good things out there. Plus, who starts ahead of him? Ricketts? Be patient with Larin: If he puts the work in in Europe, we are going to see a more complete player in a couple of years. He WILL put the work in; he's done that everywhere he goes.

Osorio has really improved with TFC in the last 18 months and it really is starting to show now in the national team. He looks composed and confident now in a way he did not before. Playing with Bradley, Vazquez, GIovinco on a daily basis is a better standard than this football today, so unsurprising to see Osorio shine.

Rough start to the game, but Canada looked good after the first 15-20 minutes.  I'm liking Osorio and Millar.  Ricketts looks uncomfortable out there on the right wing, and Larin looks real rusty up top.  It looks very tough to play in these conditions, but I'm excited for the 2nd half.

Archived