Canada vs New Zealand - March 24, 2018 - Friendly - IN- & POST-match thread [R]

Rheo

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

I agree on the def part, overall and depth 100%, but still time for next cycle.

When it comes to Keepers, IMO it's really just depth, Borjan is legit!

Yeah I have full confidence in Borjan, it's just injuries I worry about.  Would love to have someone behind him who is getting regular minutes.  I don't mind either Thomas or Leutwiler, just wish they were getting some game action!

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

I’m sorry but if Ricketts didn’t score we would be saying his time is coming to an end with Canada because he was useless the rest of the match.  Honestly did he have one contribution? I can’t see him passing the record because he doesn’t have enough time left with us imo.  He maybe has value against tired legs but in terms of starting and playing he’s at a lower level than the rest of the players - he can’t beat his man or lay someone in hes simply there to beat guys for pace and poach it home. 

We have games against the US Virgin Islands, St Kitts, Dominica and French Guyana and coming int he next 12 months. This might help Ricketts.

Let's remember that Rob Friend once scored 6 goals against the US Virgin Islands (U-23 level)  ;)

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

I’m sorry but if Ricketts didn’t score we would be saying his time is coming to an end with Canada because he was useless the rest of the match.  Honestly did he have one contribution? I can’t see him passing the record because he doesn’t have enough time left with us imo.  He maybe has value against tired legs but in terms of starting and playing he’s at a lower level than the rest of the players - he can’t beat his man or lay someone in hes simply there to beat guys for pace and poach it home. 

But he did score!  We are like some sort of multiple personality farce on here.  We lament Larins terrible finishing, tearing him to pieces because of ONLY 5 goals in 20+ games, AND tear down Rickets because all he does in score (poacher) and not make other contributions, AND brag up Cavallini because he does the other little things and not score at all.  We dont produce guys like Puskas, Romario, Ronaldo etc etc.  We need all of our guys to bring whatever they are good at to the CMNT and have a coach that can plug them in as the situation calls for.  Personally I am hoping we can get Cav, Larin, AJH and RIckets on the score sheet this fall.  Then they can all have some fruity drinks with little umbrellas in them on the beach down in the islands.  

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Yep, agreed. Not meant to be a big knock on Bojan who has been reasonably solid, proved alot of doubters wrong and has been a wonderful servant. Also worth noting keepers don't hit their prime until their 30's usually which gives all our keepers time. 

I think there is a big difference however  between having a solid keeper and having a true world class keeper and that makes a big difference in how the players in front of them perform. We have a lot of potential that from the midfield up but not in central defense or in goal. Doesn't mean we don't have solid contributors though. Borjan is somewhere in between imo. He has improved a lot, he is a vocal leader and has been much more consistent over the past couple or years. Below that there aren't any standouts right now. 

23 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

We dont produce guys like Puskas, Romario, Ronaldo etc etc.  We need all of our guys to bring whatever they are good at to the CMNT and have a coach that can plug them in as the situation calls for. 

Our past, current and short term future right there. Which encapsulates most of the bitching about our National team players (mine above tbh) but also to an extent players not getting minutes at MLS clubs, where the bridge is nearly there but not enough for club's with finance first thinking "risking" playing Canadian academy grads. Which of course in turn blocks the necessary playing time they need to actually develop and make it, causing us to start bitching. It's a vicious cycle I tells ya.

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I agree on the def part, overall and depth 100%, but still time for next cycle.

Borjan is a legit shot stopper with CL experience.  Not every team in Concacaf can say they have that.  I'm happy and confident with him as our mainstay next cycle, provided he:

1) stays healthy;

2) keeps getting regular mins and playing time;

3) keeps improving his ball distribution,  which he has been the last 2-3 years;

4) continues his excellent leadership role.

Maybe just me, but not worried at all about our keeper situation atm, even in a worse case injury scenario, Leutwiler and Thomas can still hold their own.

He will be 34 at the 2022 World Cup and I'm 100% okay with that.

Basically someone has 6 years to take his starting job for 2026, that's how I see it, and even at 36-38 years old, he still might be our #1. 

I would say that when it comes to keepers, age doesn't matter. It's almost better to have older guys because of their experience.

Let's face it, no one in our program, man or woman, is better at wasting time than Borjan.

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

I’m sorry but if Ricketts didn’t score we would be saying his time is coming to an end with Canada because he was useless the rest of the match.  Honestly did he have one contribution?

I do remember one contribution!

And if his only contribution was to score the winner, I'm kinda OK with that.

This was just one game though and my recollection is that he usually makes a significant contribution and the knock on him is that he doesn't put away enough of the chances he gets. But he still seems to find a way to score goals at a higher rate than anybody else, including Larin!

As I said earlier, I think he is an under appreciated asset.

Two things:

1. It's great to see Edgar back!  He's the reason I still think Newcastle is still relevant...haha.  I hope he can still contribute at the national level because we are lacking for talent along the back 4 and seriously lacking in CB; and

2. It's great to see the depth we are starting to develop in midfield.  When you realize we were missing Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett and Davies the future looks bright.

1 hour ago, Symp_Res said:

Two things:

1. It's great to see Edgar back!  He's the reason I still think Newcastle is still relevant...haha.  I hope he can still contribute at the national level because we are lacking for talent along the back 4 and seriously lacking in CB; and

2. It's great to see the depth we are starting to develop in midfield.  When you realize we were missing Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett and Davies the future looks bright.

Edgar is a natural leader, very vocal on the field, passionate and a great mentor for our young players; but he has to sign with a club and get minutes asap. Our depth is indeed woeful at CB and I hope that Derek Cornelius gets minutes in our games Sept-Dec.  JH needs to find out what he is capable of in  competitive matches...the sooner the better as we are an injury away from trouble at CB. Cornelius used to play as a striker until about 15, so he probably is comfortable on the ball and  has speed. We need both those attributes in our CBs if we are going to make it to the Hex. That is one of my concerns about  Didic.

12 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Edgar is a natural leader, very vocal on the field, passionate and a great mentor for our young players; but he has to sign with a club and get minutes asap. Our depth is indeed woeful at CB and I hope that Derek Cornelius gets minutes in our games Sept-Dec.  JH needs to find out what he is capable of in  competitive matches...the sooner the better as we are an injury away from trouble at CB. Cornelius used to play as a striker until about 15, so he probably is comfortable on the ball and  has speed. We need both those attributes in our CBs if we are going to make it to the Hex. That is one of my concerns about  Didic.

With the bolded, I agree.  I thought he was good (not great) having not played in over a year, but he does need to get regular playing time.

I have seen his name come up, but I'm not familiar with Derek Cornelius. Where does he play? how old is he? where's he from? what are his strengths/weaknesses...etc.?

I feel like if you get called and don’t get a cap it’s usually not a good sign.. here are some guys off the top of my head: Joseph Di Chiara, Manny Gomez, Amer Didic, Hanson Boakai, Luca Gasparotto, Jordan Schweitzer and now Cornelius..

just an observation but more often than not it’s telling because it’s rare. Cornelius is at a good level but it just makes me question because I’ve never seen him and him not playing at a weak position is odd.. but then again Luca and Didic didn’t and I wouldn’t say they’ll never at this point.

27 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I feel like if you get called and don’t get a cap it’s usually not a good sign.. here are some guys off the top of my head: Joseph Di Chiara, Manny Gomez, Amer Didic, Hanson Boakai, Luca Gasparotto, Jordan Schweitzer and now Cornelius..

just an observation but more often than not it’s telling because it’s rare. Cornelius is at a good level but it just makes me question because I’ve never seen him and him not playing at a weak position is odd.. but then again Luca and Didic didn’t and I wouldn’t say they’ll never at this point.

The score line may have been a factor in JH not subbing in Cornelius. Hard to fault a new coach, looking for his first win and  some much needed momentum facing some significant headwinds on an off the field :)

1 hour ago, Symp_Res said:

With the bolded, I agree.  I thought he was good (not great) having not played in over a year, but he does need to get regular playing time.

I have seen his name come up, but I'm not familiar with Derek Cornelius. Where does he play? how old is he? where's he from? what are his strengths/weaknesses...etc.?

plays in the Serbian 1st division; same league as Milan Borjan

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/derek-cornelius/profil/spieler/328609

Going to join in and give Osorio some dap, much credit to the TFC brigade, he has turned a corner the last eighteen months or so. If he could get 90 minutes setting up a Cavallini - Ricketts two-man front line everyone might have fun.

I didn't notice Cornelius on the pitch all game, not once, not even in passing. According to the cliche that is what you want in a centreback. Therefore he is my man of the match.

The more Piette plays like a rich man's Kevin Harmse the more I like him.

1 minute ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Going to join in and give Osorio some dap, much credit to the TFC brigade, he has turned a corner the last eighteen months or so. If he could get 90 minutes setting up a Cavallini - Ricketts two-man front line everyone might have fun.

I didn't notice Cornelius on the pitch all game, not once, not even in passing. According to the cliche that is what you want in a centreback. Therefore he is my man of the match.

I agree.  Osario has been fantastic for the last year or so...the final in December being his coming out party. 

Piette and Kaye have been great as well.

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The score line may have been a factor in JH not subbing in Cornelius. Hard to fault a new coach, looking for his first win and  some much needed momentum facing some significant headwinds on an off the field :)

The problem was James was alternating between making great plays and looking like he was going to gift them a goal. Given that I think it would have been good to see Cornelius get some time although to be fair we do not know how he looked in training but he looks pretty good from what I have seen of him playing in the Serbian league. I think getting some time to a new young CB is more important long term than the result given our weakness in that area. Plus, Cornelius brings many of the same attributes of speed, size, possession and passing that we need from James but he is making it tough to choose him unless he cuts down on the errors. Was there a limit on the amount of subs of 6 by FIFA rules? The tickers have us making 6 subs all of which I remember but don't include the Wotherspoon which would bring us to 7.

Cornelius will probably get capped this fall. Would probably also be a starting CB for the Toulon Tournament if he is eligible (sorry don't know the exact age cut off) and released by his club for it (not sure when his season ends). He has similar physical tools as James. Good speed for a CB. Tackles hard. Solid in the air. Pass well up the pitch. Apparently stood out at U23 Camp in January, hence the call-up to Spain. Less experience but probably an overall higher soccer IQ than James. Getting legit 1st team minutes in a top flight euro league at age 20 which is better than most of our guys even if it is in Serbia. Spending time with Borjan in camp may even help him move to a bigger / better club than Javor when the time is right? Who knows.  Suspect it was a numbers game for him not getting on the pitch with JH desire to get Edgar some time and the perhaps the unplanned introduction of Godinho for Petrasso just prior to half.  Would also Like to see Sadiki for Toulon if he can continue to get minutes in Croatia Jr. league. Maybe even Dunn-Johnson, who also did well with U23.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

The problem was James was alternating between making great plays and looking like he was going to gift them a goal. Given that I think it would have been good to see Cornelius get some time although to be fair we do not know how he looked in training but he looks pretty good from what I have seen of him playing in the Serbian league. I think getting some time to a new young CB is more important long term than the result given our weakness in that area. Plus, Cornelius brings many of the same attributes of speed, size, possession and passing that we need from James but he is making it tough to choose him unless he cuts down on the errors. Was there a limit on the amount of subs of 6 by FIFA rules? The tickers have us making 6 subs all of which I remember but don't include the Wotherspoon which would bring us to 7.

The score results on ESPN  have #7 as Twardek, who did not see the field, so that's an error. It should have been Spooner. Canada made 6 subs and I read previously that we could only make 6 subs

6 hours ago, Big_M said:

Borjan..another big mistake at the end that could very well have turned into a goal...

Was it him or Edgar? It looks to me like communication got crossed and it may have been on Edgar who eventually did a good job of cleaning up his mistake!

2 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

You're getting mellow in your old age Ben if you're giving TFC players credit! :D

Archived