Canada vs New Zealand - March 24, 2018 - Friendly - IN- & POST-match thread [R]

Rheo

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Lets just remember the Scotland game and how good Aird looked.  We dont want to get carried away with Millar eh?

To be fair Fraser was playing in the Scottish 2nd tier wasn't he or was it 3rd then? Millar has been touted to breakthrough to one of the top teams in the world and is learning under one of the greatest midfielders of the last 20 years.

Still, you are correct. One swallow a summer doesn't make and all that jazz. Let's not build him up too much but no need not to be a little excited about his potential.

On a side note, sad about Fraser this year. Wished he had stayed on at the caps tbh. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Lets just remember the Scotland game and how good Aird looked.  We dont want to get carried away with Millar eh?

Thank you.  Yes, i was going to come here and mention in passing that his insertion into the game was positive and that there is reason to be encouraged from what we saw of him today. But there are a lot of players who had decent games today.  He was one of the better ones in my opinion.  

All in all, what left me encouraged for 2022 and stood out for me in this game is that nobody looked out of place and that means that there is depth developing on the national team. And that means competition for spots which brings out the best in athletes and develops consistency in play.  We also played the right kind of opponent right now.  

46 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Let's not build him up too much but no need not to be a little excited about his potential.

True.  I here you.  But do you remember Wyn Belotte?  And that one play in that game versus Brazil at the u20 WC?   Thats all it took (one play) for the folklore to develop through internet forums.  I actaully think that  that really hurt his career and deveopment as a player.

If we are to base things on one game,  you can say glowing things about many youth players we have seen in domestic play.   Example, In the first i saw Mo Babouili,  i positive signs.   But by the fifth game, my views had changed.   A couple of days later, he was released. 

2 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Peru and Croatia played in a friendly as well, at a neutral site in Miami at the Hard Rock Arena. They had a little more spectators and pomp then Pinatar Arena. Maybe next Canada game there eh? Lol

The reality is that international friendlies have really lost their lustre.  Big time.  Its not just canada, its everywhere.  This happened around the time that social media gained prevalence and that there are more mediums availble to view matches and more matches to view.  Now people can rank the prestige of matches in the context of other interntional games and the professional games and set their priorities.  In the end, frienlies are for preparation and assessment.  

The only exception being is if you play at neutral site like that.

10 hours ago, apbsmith said:

haha so true!

maybe it's just me but I feel like a handful of our players would not have made the composed and clinical finish Ricketts made there. It was tidy, clean clinical finish.....as CMNT supporter I was expecting a shot right at the keeper, shot over the net or some miracle save. ...

so THANK YOU SAINT RICKETTS well done.

It was a typical Ricketts goal.  He finds space runs into it, someone gets him the ball into space and his pace is what gets him the goal.  This is how he scored his first goal for TFC, almost identical to that one today.  Most of his goals are similar in that they are a result of his pace.

What he possesses and gives is valuable.  But in certain contexts and situations. 

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

True.  I here you.  But do you remember Wyn Belotte?  And that one play in that game versus Brazil at the u20 WC?   Thats all it took (one play) for the folklore to develop through internet forums.  I actaully think that  that really hurt his career and deveopment as a player.

If we are to base things on one game,  you can say glowing things about many youth players we have seen in domestic play.   Example, In the first i saw Mo Babouili,  i positive signs.   But by the fifth game, my views had changed.   A couple of days later, he was released. 

Mo played the entire season for TFC in 2016 including all four  Voyaguers Cup matches. He wasn't released a couple of days after his fifth game, he was released at the start of the 2017 to make room for Ben Spencer - a player yet to prove he can score regularly at the USL level

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

CB's and Goalies really are our weakspot now. There is potential in what we have if players like Henry stay fit and cut out the errors. We don't seem to have alot underneath though in comparison to the attacking players emerging. 

We have average keepers but the difference a true quality keeper can bring to the backline and the team is immeasurable.

It is a shame Carducci, Crepeau and Roberts didn't reach their touted potential, yet.

Yes, our midfield and attacking depth might be the best it has been since the NASL days. But we don't have this depth at the back. A shame we did not see Cornelius for this reason (and also because I didn't get the opportunity to break out my "This is the dawning of the Age of Cornelius" chant to the tune of Aquarius by the 5th Dimension.

Overall it was what I think I expected from Herdman - same tactics/formation as with the women where the success is going to depend on speed on the wings, two ball winner/engines in midfield and Osorio in the Jesse Fleming role. I blame the poor start mostly on the gale force winds we were up against which conveniently died down a bit when it was at our backs. 

Best move of the game was the Wotherspoon-Akindele-Millar play. I hope playing for Besiktas gets Larin to thunk quicker- he just seemed to slow the play down at times when I wanted the opposite to happen. His hold up play was decent though. A better opponent might have punished us for some of those giveaways aand the defence centrally makes me nervous still. We were favourites IMO given the rosters so good thing we came through with an expected win rather than a disappointing start. Very poor though for us to not play again until September - is our money that we would have used to stage a friendly going to Zambrano's severance pay or something?

11 hours ago, apbsmith said:

so THANK YOU SAINT RICKETTS well done.

Song for Ricketts (Saints go marching in):

Oh when Tosaint, goes marching in,

Oh when Tosaint goes marching in,

I wanna beeee in that number,

Oh when Tosaint goes marching in.

(Somebody with talent could probably customize a bit more than just the name.)

35 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Wait... just watching now. Collin Miller is on the staff? Did I miss that?!

Wasn't officially announced that I saw but was mentioned on here via someone's tweets, Sandor or Larson Maybe?

EDIT: Totera, reported by Rheo on Feb 26th 

Colin Miller in as well

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

Awesome to see Benito there who obviously holds no grudges. The final piece of Herdmans coaching team. (Definitely joking with the last sentence)

Caption:

*Benito laughing*......."but seriously John, way too attacking."

Benito: Why did you play David Edgar on defense? He belongs at forward...

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

It was a typical Ricketts goal.  He finds space runs into it, someone gets him the ball into space and his pace is what gets him the goal.  This is how he scored his first goal for TFC, almost identical to that one today.  Most of his goals are similar in that they are a result of his pace.

What he possesses and gives is valuable.  But in certain contexts and situations. 

His pace gets him into a good goal scoring position, and then he puts it into the net.  It's that last step that's missing in so many chances for our other players, because it's harder than it looks and sounds.  Ricketts is way more than just pacey.

I’m sorry but if Ricketts didn’t score we would be saying his time is coming to an end with Canada because he was useless the rest of the match.  Honestly did he have one contribution? I can’t see him passing the record because he doesn’t have enough time left with us imo.  He maybe has value against tired legs but in terms of starting and playing he’s at a lower level than the rest of the players - he can’t beat his man or lay someone in hes simply there to beat guys for pace and poach it home. 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I’m sorry but if Ricketts didn’t score we would be saying his time is coming to an end with Canada because he was useless the rest of the match.  Honestly did he have one contribution? I can’t see him passing the record because he doesn’t have enough time left with us imo.  He maybe has value against tired legs but in terms of starting and playing he’s at a lower level than the rest of the players - he can’t beat his man or lay someone in hes simply there to beat guys for pace and poach it home. 

He's proven he is much better utilized as a striker. However he's a super sub for us and for TFC at this point. at RW I can see Tesho/Wotherspoon and potentially Davies fighting for that spot. Even Petrasso if he returns to a winger role.

I love how Canada was able to control the game both in the center and on the wings. Considering the fact that we were missing our top two wingers and midfielders, it was an impressive performance. 

We looked a little bit flat going forwards. Osorio is great, but we were missing Arfield in that play maker role. We also had a few missed chances. If Larin had potted a couple of his chances we all would be raving about the game. So overall, a good game for the players we had, but still plenty of room for improvement.

17 hours ago, toontownman said:

CB's and Goalies really are our weakspot now. There is potential in what we have if players like Henry stay fit and cut out the errors. We don't seem to have alot underneath though in comparison to the attacking players emerging. 

We have average keepers but the difference a true quality keeper can bring to the backline and the team is immeasurable.

It is a shame Carducci, Crepeau and Roberts didn't reach their touted potential, yet.

I agree on the def part, overall and depth 100%, but still time for next cycle.

When it comes to Keepers, IMO it's really just depth, Borjan is legit!

Borjan is a legit shot stopper with CL experience.  Not every team in Concacaf can say they have that.  I'm happy and confident with him as our mainstay next cycle, provided he:

1) stays healthy;

2) keeps getting regular mins and playing time;

3) keeps improving his ball distribution,  which he has been the last 2-3 years;

4) continues his excellent leadership role.

Maybe just me, but not worried at all about our keeper situation atm, even in a worse case injury scenario, Leutwiler and Thomas can still hold their own.

He will be 34 at the 2022 World Cup and I'm 100% okay with that.

Basically someone has 6 years to take his starting job for 2026, that's how I see it, and even at 36-38 years old, he still might be our #1. 

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

This goes back to my in game post, literally 2 mins before I posted I prefer him as a late game sub, like you mentioned. 

I do believe he started today because we rolled out a 2 forward formation which I 100% was happy we did. We just did not have our entire attacking options available today. 

I think with AJH,Cav,Larin, maybe even Millar as a 2 FWD set up, Ricketts roll will be late games subs with the lead, not when we are down a goal. 

I'm still glad we have him as an asset, late game pace is a valuable asset, when used properly.

Archived