Tyson Farago

Ansem

Call him up next cap?  

"On the 22nd March 2018, Farago signed for League of Ireland Premier Division club St Patrick's Athletic, joining his old FC Edmonton teammate Jake Keegan in Dublin, who reccomended him to manager Liam Buckley.[7]'

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/2344718/st-pats-athletic-sign-canadian-keeper-tyson-farago-as-boss-liam-buckley-bolsters-saints-squad/

Edited by yothat

4 hours ago, yothat said:

Call him up next cap?  

"On the 22nd March 2018, Farago signed for League of Ireland Premier Division club St Patrick's Athletic, joining his old FC Edmonton teammate Jake Keegan in Dublin, who reccomended him to manager Liam Buckley.[7]'

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/2344718/st-pats-athletic-sign-canadian-keeper-tyson-farago-as-boss-liam-buckley-bolsters-saints-squad/

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

If he wins the starting job and goes on a good run I'd call him up.  

We have very low standards...

Yeah I think he'd have limited options in Europe, Have a good year in the Irish League as a stepping stone and see where you can go next year would have to be the thinking here...Scottish league next year would probably be the next step... If not he's just gaining experience for a starting job in the CPL.

51 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

We have very low standards...

Yeesh, he did get over 20 games in for FCE, winning the starting job at the end.  Crepeau has 20+ USL and 2 MLS, Pantemis gets called and he has even less experience.  Other than Irving, Borjan and Cavalluzzo do we have anyone playing regularly??  Any news a keeper playing is good news.  The pool is so shallow....

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Yeesh, he did get over 20 games in for FCE, winning the starting job at the end.  Crepeau has 20+ USL and 2 MLS, Pantemis gets called and he has even less experience.  Other than Irving, Borjan and Cavalluzzo do we have anyone playing regularly??  Any news a keeper playing is good news.  The pool is so shallow....

We have a bunch of goalies playing regularly 

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

We have a bunch of goalies playing regularly 

Not quite. Other than Borjan obviously, Chensinski comes to mind, Irving and recently Gomes has won the spot in D3 Schotland. Then it's Latendresse-Levesque D4 Germany. Wouldn't call that a bunch. Compared to other nations I think it's the smallest bunch ever. 

Farago was well behind Crepeau and Irving at the time when he was called in 2016 IIRC. Haven’t seen him play recently to be fair but my understanding is that Pantemis and the other keeper from Vancouver who was in the U23 camp a few months ago (forgot his name sorry) are the current keeper prospects (minus duals that aren’t committed) we are likely to see getting called after Borjan, Leutwiler and Thomas.  I doubt Farago will be called in the near future. Of course it would be nice if Leutwiler and Thomas saw the pitch once and a while. 

1 hour ago, soccer.shocker said:

Haven’t seen him play recently to be fair but my understanding is that Pantemis and the other keeper from Vancouver who was in the U23 camp a few months ago (forgot his name sorry) are the current keeper prospects 

Pantemis and Hasal (who are 21 and 18 and great prospects but both a long way from being worthy of starting for our senior team).  It wasn't so long ago Roberts and Crepeau were those can't miss prospects.

It always seems our young keeper prospects stall out at a certain point in their career and end up at a USL level.  Which I also don't think should qualify them to start for us.  CPL will hopefully help our young keepers get the competitive minutes they need to keep this from happening.

Farago is just one of those guys, but if he starts for Saints and has a solid season he has accomplished as much as any of these guys.  On the other hand he's 26 and needs to move up quickly if he's going to get to an acceptable level.

My preference would be to have at 3 keepers starting at least at MLS level or one of the Scandinavian or Eastern European top leagues.  In the past we had at least Hirsch and Stamo with at various times Onstad, Sutton, and a young Borjan.

Then there were prospects like al-Shaibani, Wagenaar, Monsalve, and Stillo who seemed on an upward trajectory and then stalled out or disappeared.  Even Gomes after being on the MOACA list forever is now almost 25 and only playing 3rd tier Scotland.

Hard to believe after all these years of MLS we don't have a single Canadian starting MLS keeper!  On the other hand the Americans always seem able to produce a surplus of solid-to-very good MLS keepers, plus a Premier Leaguer or two.  Strangely we have been much better lately at producing midfielders and forwards than defenders and keepers, but I guess that sort of thing goes in cycles for a small soccer country.

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

It always seems our young keeper prospects stall out at a certain point in their career and end up at a USL level.  Which I also don't think should qualify them to start for us.  CPL will hopefully help our young keepers get the competitive minutes they need to keep this from happening.

I feel like one of the biggest benefits of CPL will be our keeper pool. You have to imagine that if there is 8 teams in CPL, at least 4 will likely have starting keepers that are Canadian

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

I feel like one of the biggest benefits of CPL will be our keeper pool. You have to imagine that if there is 8 teams in CPL, at least 4 will likely have starting keepers that are Canadian

My guess is that nearly every team will have a starting Canadian keeper. There are plenty of guys overseas not getting time. Farago and Ingham both proved they could play at the NASL level last year and i suspect both will be getting time.

7 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

My guess is that nearly every team will have a starting Canadian keeper. There are plenty of guys overseas not getting time. Farago and Ingham both proved they could play at the NASL level last year and i suspect both will be getting time.

Agreed. I should have put more emphasis on at least :)

"Hard to believe after all these years of MLS we don't have a single Canadian starting MLS keeper!  On the other hand the Americans always seem able to produce a surplus of solid-to-very good MLS keepers, plus a Premier Leaguer or two. "

We had MLS keepers previously.  Onstad (starter developed in old CSL) and Sutton not that long ago.  The roster quotas/salary cap help the US with the keeper position, why pay alot of money and use up a INT spot.  Even if they have a foreign #1 most teams have american backups.  Thats a nice pool of at least 25-45 keepers and chances are a couple will become starters eventually.  Hell thats even the way TFC and VWC do it and they could easily have the second and 3 keeper on the roster be a CDN domestic.  I really hope that when the CPL starts its 100% CDN keepers.  Surely we can pull in 6-8 USL/or better level starters and every team commit to help developing a young CDN backup or two.  

Comments from St Pat's assistant coach Ger O'Brien about Farago's signing:

He's most likely going to be a backup to start with, but it certainly sounds like they're hoping he can push veteran starter Barry Murphy. Hopefully he'll get his chance in the league at some point this season.

11 hours ago, shamrock said:

Not quite. Other than Borjan obviously, Chensinski comes to mind, Irving and recently Gomes has won the spot in D3 Schotland. Then it's Latendresse-Levesque D4 Germany. Wouldn't call that a bunch. Compared to other nations I think it's the smallest bunch ever. 

But Axel Desjardins and the kid at Juventus who will definitely play for Canada. I was sure that they should be good enough to play for Canada. 

Then again, that is probably what he would answer.

9 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Pantemis and Hasal (who are 21 and 18 and great prospects but both a long way from being worthy of starting for our senior team).  It wasn't so long ago Roberts and Crepeau were those can't miss prospects.

Roberts was never a can't miss prospect. Crepeau was certainly pretty highly regarded as a prospect, but I personally didn't see it and I am not surprised that he is where he is right now.

I think the fact that they were our top two keeper prospects made people think they were better than they actually were.

Edited by El Diego

36 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Roberts was never a can't miss prospect. 

That is exactly my point.  Neither is this current generation. We just don't have any idea if any of them will make it. That's why I'm cautiously excited by Farago's move.  26 is still relatively young for a keeper.  Marinovic for New Zealand is 26 and just broke through as Whitecaps starter after working his way up through 4th and 3rd tier Germany (although he's one of those guys who just looks like a quality starter in his build and demeanour and the way he moves).

4 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

That is exactly my point.  Neither is this current generation. We just don't have any idea if any of them will make it. That's why I'm cautiously excited by Farago's move.  26 is still relatively young for a keeper.  Marinovic for New Zealand is 26 and just broke through as Whitecaps starter after working his way up through 4th and 3rd tier Germany (although he's one of those guys who just looks like a quality starter in his build and demeanour and the way he moves).

Exactly!  Which is why guys like Roberts, Carducci, Ingham, Crepeau, Melvin, Pantemis, Gomes etc need playing time.  Playing in a decent CPL (6-8 teams) one would hope that if they had mainly CDN keepers (10-15), that some of the cream would rise to the top and become useful to the CMNT.  

On 3/23/2018 at 10:44 AM, Shortdutchcanuck said:

We have very few keepers.  Particularly playing first team minutes.  Should we call nobody?  

Also he was called into his first camp in 2016.  

Think about it - people are saying that if Tyson can win the starting spot in Ireland he should be a National Team keeper. And yet those same people want or even expect us to qualify for the Hex and even World Cup. It doesn't match. How many League of Ireland players have caps...for anyone? Now @BradMack makes sense, if he does well then he could move up - it's at that point he becomes an option.

He's older than most people think. Not really a young prospect. But there's a lot of late blooming keepers - Micheal McGovern of N.I. come to mind - club career took off late and didn't play his first real match for NI until 30 (he did play one B-match five years prior).

3 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Think about it - people are saying that if Tyson can win the starting spot in Ireland he should be a National Team keeper. And yet those same people want or even expect us to qualify for the Hex and even World Cup. It doesn't match. How many League of Ireland players have caps...for anyone? Now @BradMack makes sense, if he does well then he could move up - it's at that point he becomes an option.

Yeah he's 26 so not a young prospect any more but as you said keepers sometimes bloom late.

I think all people are saying is if he wins that spot he's worth a look because we have so few other options at present.  Not that we are so excited to have a keeper starting in Ireland.  And definitely not that we are happy about this situation.  

Out of curiosity who would be your preferences behind Borjan?