CPL original 8

to70

As we closer to the 2019 kick-off for the league it would be interesting to see which cities would be there for the inaugural season. Mu gut feeling is that there would be a minimum of 8 teams to start. As My guess that following markets would be there at the beginning:

1. Hamilton

2. Winnipeg

3. Halifax

4. Saskatchewan (Regina or Saskatoon)

5. B.C. (Victoria or Surrey)

6. Calgary

7. Edmonton

8. Ottawa

42 minutes ago, to70 said:

We all know that KW, London, Mississauga, QC, etc. won't be in at the start of the league.

A lot depends on the launch date and whether the business plan they have right now ultimately has to be modified in some way as the bar was set too high to be able to put the numbers together. As things stand at the moment the owners of the league's anchor franchise in Hamilton are in a legal dispute over financial losses related to the building of Tim Horton Field with the City of Hamilton and have nowhere to play as the original lease terms for soccer are said to have expired in May 2016 and the City won't open negotiations with them on that until the legal matters are resolved. They are far from alone in having no stadium available at this point, so 2019 isn't a safe assumption. The David Clanachan press coverage back in January could also be viewed as a call for investors where corporate Canada was concerned with a 2020 launch date really what was in mind. We'll find out what's happening for 2019 soon enough as the window of time left to put all the pieces in place is rapidly closing. Think everything will be reasonably clear by the CSA AGM in early May.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A lot depends on the launch date and whether the business plan they have right now ultimately has to be modified in some way as the bar was set too high to be able to put the numbers together. As things stand at the moment the owners of the league's anchor franchise in Hamilton are in a legal dispute over financial losses related to the building of Tim Horton Field with the City of Hamilton and have nowhere to play as the original lease terms for soccer are said to have expired in May 2016 and the City won't open negotiations with them on that until the legal matters are resolved. They are far from alone in having no stadium available at this point, so 2019 isn't a safe assumption. The David Clanachan press coverage back in January could also be viewed as a call for investors where corporate Canada was concerned with a 2020 launch date really what was in mind. We'll find out what's happening for 2019 soon enough as the window of time left to put all the pieces in place is rapidly closing. Think everything will be reasonably clear by the CSA AGM in early May.

This would be a horrible plan. If the idea was to get investors on board for a 2020 launch why not just say a 2020 launch? If you come out and say 2019 and then when they inquire about the league what is your next step? Lie to them? Tell them it was an elaborate ploy to get their interest? Thats ridiculous. I usually support your posts as its important to not get ahead of ourselves but this seems like youre really going out of your way to put a negative spin on this. They have literally no reason to lie to the fans or media or especially investors when it comes to when they think the league is going to start. Infact, it would hurt the league if they miss another launch window, especially one stated by the commish on multiple high profile sports platforms. In my mind they 100% believe its a go in 2019... There is no conspiracy.

7 hours ago, to70 said:

As we closer to the 2019 kick-off for the league it would be interesting to see which cities would be there for the inaugural season. Mu gut feeling is that there would be a minimum of 8 teams to start. As My guess that following markets would be there at the beginning:

1. Hamilton

2. Winnipeg

3. Halifax

6. Calgary

7. Edmonton

8. Ottawa

Move the Argos to Halifax and there you have the CFL!

The board pessimist - no announcements in ages, it's falling apart. Obviously delayed because teams and the league don't have there stuff together and teams are dropping out. The league simply isn't viable despite what people tell you. 

The board optimist - patience is a virtue, virtue is a grace, grace is a little girl who didn't wash her face. Maybe the hold up isn't the reported teams still looking for grounds not being prepared but extra teams in addition to original 6/7 ready to go? All is well. Better to take time and get it right. 

The reality - fuck knows. 

9 hours ago, to70 said:

1. Hamilton

2. Winnipeg

3. Halifax

6. Calgary

7. Edmonton

8. Ottawa

This list is similar to the list I got from polling on this site a year or two ago. The only difference is that the poll list didn’t have BC or Halifax, and it did have Toronto and Quebec City.

Here are my picks. My gut tells me that there going to be a 10 teams start for 2019.

1. Hamilton

2. York Region

3. Winnipeg

4. Halifax

5. Saskatoon

6. Calgary

7. Edmonton

8. Ottawa

9. Surrey

10. Victoria

Later expansions in 2020 or 2021 for: Regina, Kitchener-Waterloo, Mississauga, Quebec City, and a Montreal suburb.

1 hour ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Here are my picks. My gut tells me that there going to be a 10 teams start for 2019.

1. Hamilton

2. York Region

4. Winnipeg

5. Halifax

6. Saskatoon

7. Calgary

8. Edmonton

9. Ottawa

10. Surrey

Later expansions in 2020 or 2021 for: Victoria, Regina, Kitchener-Waterloo, Mississauga, Quebec City, and a Montreal suburb.

Those would be my 10 with perhaps only 8 of them ready for 2019...of the 2020 ones, I think Quebec, Kitchener and Victoria are more likely.  Definitely would like to ultimately see a team or two in Quebec

2 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

1. Hamilton

2. York Region

4. Winnipeg

5. Halifax

6. Saskatoon

7. Calgary

8. Edmonton

9. Ottawa

10. Surrey

Later expansions in 2020 or 2021 for: Victoria, Regina, Kitchener-Waterloo, Mississauga, Quebec City, and a Montreal suburb.

41 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Those would be my 10 with perhaps only 8 of them ready for 2019...of the 2020 ones, I think Quebec, Kitchener and Victoria are more likely.  Definitely would like to ultimately see a team or two in Quebec

I'm starting to think I can't count to ten... :)

Can someone explain to me why Quebec city would be an expansion team not part of the original plan ? They have a  stadium already.  They currently don’t have any professional sports teams so the soccer team can really get a hold on the market. Québec city is a beautiful city with a ton of tourist who go there and it’s not a small city by any  means. 

10 hours ago, BradMack said:

....They have literally no reason to lie to the fans or media or especially investors when it comes to when they think the league is going to start...

It's not that long ago that CanPL 2018 t-shirts were being sold on here. The preferred launch date has already been moved once, since the league was announced last May. No lie was involved then and no lie would be involved now, because that's all it was, a preferred best case scenario launch date when the league was "set to" launch. I think a lot of people on here seriously underestimate how difficult it is to launch a fully pro domestic league in Canada with MLS very much entrenched in the three major metropolitan markets.

55 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Can someone explain to me why Quebec city would be an expansion team not part of the original plan ?

You need a viable stadium and somebody willing to invest. It's not clear that Quebec City has either of those at the moment, because a lot would depend on the attitude of the Rouge et Or to having a direct competitor for spectator interest in the fall that would need substantial modifications to be made to the existing university football and athletics stadium to be able to launch without building something of their own at considerable expense.

53 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's not that long ago that CanPL 2018 t-shirts were being sold on here. The preferred launch date has already been moved once, since the league was announced last May. No lie was involved then and no lie would be involved now, because that's all it was, a preferred best case scenario launch date when the league was "set to" launch. I think a lot of people on here seriously underestimate how difficult it is to launch a fully pro domestic league in Canada with MLS very much entrenched in the three major metropolitan markets.

You need a viable stadium and somebody willing to invest. It's not clear that Quebec City has either of those at the moment, because a lot would depend on the attitude of the Rouge et Or to having a direct competitor for spectator interest in the fall that would need substantial modifications to be made to the existing university football and athletics stadium to be able to launch without building something of their own at considerable expense.

The beauty with playing at a  University and you can get federal funding for  stadiums. CFL has learned  this and  has profited from it. I’m sure Laval would love to get more federal money. It works for the CFL,  Winnipeg, Montreal etc. It could work for Québec at least  as a temporary solution if needed.  The stadium is a great size too 12,000 and can  be expanded to 19,000. 

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Can someone explain to me why Quebec city would be an expansion team not part of the original plan ? They have a  stadium already.  They currently don’t have any professional sports teams so the soccer team can really get a hold on the market. Québec city is a beautiful city with a ton of tourist who go there and it’s not a small city by any  means. 

BBTB touched on it, but I would say the main reason people aren't putting them on their teams to start list is because there haven't been any rumours coming out of Quebec City.  We've seen tidbits of info or people saying in the media they would like to have a team, or there is talk about building a stadium for something, or whatever. We have to completely manufacture speculation from scratch to talk about Quebec City.

I think everyone here would love to have them involved, but someone will have to actually make it happen.

Archived